Cheap Washburn?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max The Dog

Reaction score
Saw this in the local paper for ?250, went to have a look and got it for ?150. Made in Korea 2006 mahogany body and neck, maple cap, SD '59
at the bridge and a Custom Custom at the neck. Buzz Feiten tuning system, VCC, (voice contour control) turns the H/Buckers into single coils
No big deal but it plays well and sounds well through my Romany in both H/bucking mode and single coil, the trouble is there is no real tone control
with this system. Has anybody had any experience of these?

WashburnWI66Q048.jpg

Love the shape of that Pete, never played one but you got a great deal, buy two seymour duncans and get a free guitar :D

I've played the one without the maple top, the wi65pro. Nice guitar, I didn't like the vcc either (i thought it switched to parallel wiring, though, but i could be wrong)- push-pulls along with a normal tone control would be much more useful if you ask me.

They came stock with duncans (custom custom and 59) so unless something weird's going on, i'm guessing your duncans are genuine.

EDIT: i think ?150 is a pretty good deal.

Those pickups would probably cost you ?100 if you tried to buy them secondhand on eBay. New, they would cost ?150.

Here's the pickups I initially put into my LS70 so you can compare - there's one '59 here (I think) & one Pearly Gates.

IMG_1597.jpg

here's a thought- on the duncan website the custom custom is supposedly from the pro shop. Might that explain the different markings on the back?

Easiest thing to do is just to ask at the duncan forum though, I'm guessing...

Thank you for your comments, I went to the SD forum and asked and they seem to think they are genuine and the writing on the back plates changed, the older ones have Made in the USA and the later ones Made in America. Would it be a big job to change to push pull on the tone pots, and being a Korean made guitar would the pots be metric? I'm not too clever with wiring so do you think it would be expensive to get done? All comments appreciated.

Pete.

Pete, from your pictures it looks like your pickups only have two wires each (inc' the grounded outer sheath on the braided one) and you need each pickup to have 4 for push pull coil splitting.

See here
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_2t_3w_2pp

The conversion isn't expensive but you need the right pickups to be able to do it. Being Korean the pot's are almost certain to be metric.

Dave

Hi Dave thanks for that, I think you were looking at the wrong pictures, the pups with the braided wire were Stratman's mine are the ones above.
I think they do have 4 wires. Here is a picture of the control cavity.

Pete.
WashburnWI66Q047.jpg

Yep, that spaghetti looks like 4 wires :D The installed pots look like cheap small ones but you should be able to install full size metric ones.

Dave

DaveWW said:
The installed pots look like cheap small ones but you should be able to install full size metric ones.

Full size Alpha (metric) pots can be bought from axesrus - great service & free postage.

http://www.axesrus.com/axeElectronicsPots.htm

They also sell push/pull pots.

A real improvement over push/pull pots are push/push pots, in my opinion. But the only place I've found that sells them is WD, & they are US specs - i.e. Imperial, same as CTS, so they are likley to be too big for most Asian guitars, unless you're prepared to enlarge the hole slightly.

Yes they are good people to use for parts, I have always used them ever since I found them. I also have to agree with you about the push push pots Mike, Yamaha use them on the SG's, so I wonder if they are metric?
I may well email Yamaha and ask.

If you find a place that sells metric size push/push pots, please let me know. I looked but I couldn't find any. In fact, please let me know a day or so before you post the info. on here, so I can order a couple of them before they sell out!

I always fancied trying this one which gives you a phase reverse as well as single coil options

LPKIT02: LP "Mr Page" Orange Drop Wiring Kit

At the bottom of this page

http://www.axetec.co.uk/axetec%20guitar%20parts%20spares%20pickups_029.htm

Dave

I have something similar to that on my LS70. Both tone pots are coil taps for that pickup, & the bottom volume pot is a phase switch. I use the out of phase option far more than I use the coil taps. Most humbuckers don't sound great when the coils are split - it's a great idea in theory, but usually a bit of a let-down in practice.

I thought that about humbuckers with coil splits too but I'm pleasantly surprised with that setting on my semi-acoustic. I guess we'll be able to see and hear pretty soon now :)

Dave

I'm not bringing my LS70 to Leeds Dave, but I think I'll bring the LS85S. The phase switch gives a nice sound on that - have you tried 2 P90s out of phase on your Bacchus GT?

No I've never tried that on any P90s or ever heard anyone elses. Not done any mod's to the bacchus accept for fitting a spare faber bridge I had lying around. It'll be interesting to hear your's.

I like push-push pots too, mike, but I've heard some people say they're not as reliable (i think)...

Also on mine I find that they rotate a little when I hit them at times... bit annoying. What time you save from not having to pull them up to have to waste readjusting them to the right setting. :lol: But if they didn't do that, they'd be great (maybe it's just mine).

Also they're nearly too easy to hit, you can activate them when you don't mean to :lol:

Really? I haven't found any down sides to push/push pots yet, I love the one on my TE120 (phase), much easier to use than the old push/pull. I just wish I could fit one to the LS85S without having to enlarge the hole. :(

Latest posts

Back