• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Springy Sound ST80 1980

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jacco said:
Koubayashi said:
Also, these have very nice nitro finish, not thick plastic mixed nitro like Greco and JV!

Interesting comment Fredrik.
Mike says he feels a difference between the necks on his ST80 & Fullerton, I feel difference in texture between my LS80 en recently refinished Springy. All should be nitro, do you know of differenct compositions of nitro used back then & now?

Yepp! There is something for sure. I can feel it too.

Fullertons are finished in nitro mixed with plastic just like JV, Greco etc.

The only ones I "felt up" that feels real are the high end Tokai.
You can also see it when they start to crack up by age.

Koubayashi said:
jacco said:
Koubayashi said:
Also, these have very nice nitro finish, not thick plastic mixed nitro like Greco and JV!

Interesting comment Fredrik.
Mike says he feels a difference between the necks on his ST80 & Fullerton, I feel difference in texture between my LS80 en recently refinished Springy. All should be nitro, do you know of differenct compositions of nitro used back then & now?

Yepp! There is something for sure. I can feel it too.

High end Tokai as from LS80 and up or LS150/200?

BTW where's the picture of the Veenendaal Guitar Show??

Koubayashi said:

I think you have it the wrong way round! When you say "Fullerton", which models & years are you referring to?

stratman323 said:
Koubayashi said:

I think you have it the wrong way round! When you say "Fullerton", which models & years are you referring to?

AV 82-84

Koubayashi said:
stratman323 said:
Koubayashi said:

AV 82-84

Without a shadow of a doubt, those models have a much softer nitro finish than any ST80. The nitro wears, rubs off on the neck, & checks like a 60s model. I've never seen an ST80 do that. My Fullertons look to be 10 years older than my ST80 - in fact they're between 3 & 6 years newer.

When did you last see details like this on an ST80?

144_4402.jpg

144_4408.jpg

143_4345.jpg

stratman323 said:
Koubayashi said:
stratman323 said:
Koubayashi said:

AV 82-84

Without a shadow of a doubt, those models have a much softer nitro finish than any ST80. The nitro wears, rubs off on the neck, & checks like a 60s model. I've never seen an ST80 do that. My Fullertons look to be 10 years older than my ST80 - in fact they're between 3 & 6 years newer.

144_4402.jpg

144_4408.jpg

143_4345.jpg

Never seen that much aging of the lacquer on such a 'young' model. Are you sure this is the same type of/composition of lacquer as used on a vintage Fender.

jacco said:
Never seen that much aging of the lacquer on such a 'young' model. Are you sure this is the same type of/composition of lacquer as used on a vintage Fender.

The only thing I'm sure of is that this is what they used in the 1982-86 period on the USRIs. And this kind of checking seems to be what they try to replicate on the new Custom Shop relics.

stratman323 said:
jacco said:

The only thing I'm sure of is that this is what they used in the 1982-86 period on the USRIs. And this kind of checking seems to be what they try to replicate on the new Custom Shop relics.

Are new Custom Shop relics trying to replicate the checking of the 82-86 USRIs??? I thought they were trying to replicate vintage Fenders... :-?

jacco said:
Are new Custom Shop relics trying to replicate the checking of the 82-86 USRIs??? I thought they were trying to replicate vintage Fenders... :-?

I assume that as well. However I don't have any pre-65 Strats here right now to compare them with, so I can't say.....

stratman323 said:
Koubayashi said:
stratman323 said:
Koubayashi said:

AV 82-84

144_4402.jpg

144_4408.jpg

143_4345.jpg

Hmmm....Yours is a LPB. They are just coated with nitro. Like they where in the 60s.

I had a white and a burst FT from -82 and they looked nothing like yours.
Yours look better:D

Check the nitro on your Tokai with acetone and you'll see how easy it comes of.
When I did it on my former FTs it barely got sticky.

Hmmmmm.......I will ask some friends who has FTs what theirs look like.

1982 SB Fullerton. It hasn't checked like the LPB, but the finish is thinner & softer than the SB ST80. The Fender has also lost most of it's shine, unlike the Tokai.

IMG_0947.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

sneakyjapan said:
mine is a natural finish...but that burst is a beauty

Yeah, it sure is.... the color, the graining, everything (the lighting of these last two photos is superb as well). I think I've seen a pic or two of your natural.... very nice too if I recall.

Thanks folks :) I can't take credit for those shots - a good friend of mine took them for me. He's a genius when it comes to light; I'll pass on your compliment Marcus!

?700, and that's cutting me own throat!

Latest posts

Back