St-? lefty

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bluejeannot said:
http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/reviews/guitarbuyer_uk_p154.jpg Here`s a lefty Goldie that this magazine article claims to be from 84 but cannot be due to the fact that it has 6 digit serial and mushroom as opposed classic strap buttons.Gabe.

Are you suggesting that any Goldie with a 6 digit serial number must be later than 1984?

I can't take strap buttons seriously as a way of identifying a guitar. Because so many people use straplok devices, people change strap buttons like they change their underwear!

Anyway, the guitar in the article is a Springy, so what does 1984 have to do with anything?

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/reviews/guitarbuyer_uk_p150.jpg Yes that`s what I`m suggesting Mike,and the guitar in the article IS a Goldie.85 Goldies and later had 6 digits, no brass plate and mushroom strap buttons,I know I`ve seen a few of them over the years.Gabe.

bluejeannot said:
Yes that`s what I`m suggesting Mike,and the guitar in the article IS a Goldie.

85 Goldies and later had 6 digits, no brass plate and mushroom strap buttons,I know I`ve seen a few of them over the years.Gabe.

The heading for the article is Tokai Springy Sound. If neither they nor the owner can get that right, I would discount the whole article!

So you're saying that my Sparkle Red Goldie is from 1985 or later because of the serial number?

IMG_2706.jpg

No mushrooms on this guitar. :wink:

Well that's one theory Gabe. Another theory is that Tokai really weren't that precise about which neckplates the used on which guitars - which would explain why we sometimes see maple board models with an L serial number.

Also there's the other problem that neckplates are nearly as easily changed as strap buttons.....

The strap buttons had not been changed on the guitars I saw they were all the same mushroom shape and all original,this is not a theory it`s a fact.Gabe. :roll:p.S. I have never changed strap buttons on any of my Goldies or Springys and I bet you`ve never changed any either.

bluejeannot said:
The strap buttons had not been changed on the guitars I saw they were all the same mushroom shape and all original,this is not a theory it`s a fact.Gabe. :roll:

OK, well you've tried all my Goldies - you even sold me one of them! How many of them have original strap buttons?

Probably.....

If we can't tell, it's not a very reliable way of identifying a guitar, is it?

I know you haven't, but who says you're typical? Look at the number of people who use straploks - how do you think they fit them without changing the strap buttons?

bluejeannot said:
The strap buttons had not been changed on the guitars I saw they were all the same mushroom shape and all original,this is not a theory it`s a fact.Gabe. :roll:p.S. I have never changed strap buttons on any of my Goldies or Springys and I bet you`ve never changed any either.

A theory is just a theory until it's proven & accepted. This is a theory.....

And you're wrong, I used to fit straploks to all my guitars till I realised they're a crap engineering concept that makes the strap buttons work loose in the body. I have a number of strap buttons in my box of parts & I have no idea which guitars they're from - it never seemed relevant till this new theory surfaced.

Over the years,I`ve come across 3 maple necked Goldies, all were post 84,all were minus brass plates,all with 6 digit serial numbers and all 3 had mushroom strap buttons.These Goldies had all had their brass plates removed and sold for scrap.In addition their owners tiring of conventional 4 and 5 digit neck plates threw them away and had special 6 digit plates engraved for them by skilled artisans.What is more the owners of the said guitars had the original strap buttons removed and had strap locks fitted,till like you they realised what a piece of crap they were and binned them.Having mislaid their original strap buttons,they all puchased those rather neat little mushroom strap buttons from the"Ye Old Mushroom Strap Button Shoppe" in the Strand and they gleefully fitted them to their Goldstars with a loud hurrah!and that dear friends is why I found them in the condition that I did many years later.Yes Mike, that is the most likely explanation .Gabe.

Gabe, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm simply saying that one person (however knowledgeable) on here coming up with a new theory does not make it accepted Tokai fact till it's been confirmed by others. That's the whole point of the forum - there are many Goldstar owners on here, & if enough people come forward & confirm that what you surmise is actually true, then your theory is proven. Until then it's a theory.

If you recall, it was "accepted fact" on here that the E pickups were Dimarzios. Various people (including you) challenged this belief, & I think we now have sufficient proof to be able to say that the Es were NOT Dimarzios.

True?

But when one person said "hold on a minute boys, Es are not Dimarzios", that was still a theory. Now (in my opinion) it's been proved.

Unfortunately, the features that help to identify your current theory are amongst the features most susceptible to user modification, which makes the theory harder to prove. For example, on two of my Goldies the underside of the scratchplate has been "shielded" with foil, & it's hard to tell if the brass plate was removed, or was never there, or if the scratchplate has been replaced. These guitars are the Sparkle Red one (which has a 6 digit s/n) & the Sonic Blue one (which has an L serial number).

So, from my little collection, it's not possible to prove or disprove your theory. There are no signs of mushroom strap buttons, but if so much other work has been done to these guitars, it would be a brave or foolish man who could state with confidence that something as peripheral as the strap buttons are original!

If you also factor in Tokai's well-known tendency to break their own rules & to change features in a seemingly arbitrary way (e.g. the date when FINAL PROSPEC saddles replaced TOKAI saddles), we end up with a confusing situation.

So there's no need to get offended at my comments. You may well be right - you often are! But we need more evidence (from other people) before this theory becomes accepted fact, that's all I'm saying.

Me offended?No Mike, I`m just enjoying the cut and thrust of the kind of debate that makes this site one the best forums on the internet. You have of course got a point,but I still think I`m onto something. Just wait though till I see you again I`ll probably kick you in the shins and pour a cup of tea over your head :wink:.P.S did you know that E pickups were made by Mc Vities in the same factory that made chocolate digestive biscuits?I know it`s true because found some chocolatey crumbs under the pickguard of one of my St60s honestly! Gabe.

bluejeannot said:
I still think I`m onto something

You probably are onto something - lets see what others have to say though.

Surely the divots in the pickup routs are a more reliable indicator of date of manufacture? And they have the advantage that the only thing an owner can do to change them is to cover them up with foil!

As for what you will do with that cup of tea, that's cool, just remind me not to offer you anything to drink next time I see you.

:wink:

bluejeannot said:
P.S did you know that E pickups were made by Mc Vities in the same factory that made chocolate digestive biscuits?I know it`s true because found some chocolatey crumbs under the pickguard of one of my St60s honestly! Gabe.

Of course I knew that. :roll:

Milk chocolate on models up to ST60, plain chocolate on ST80s & above.

stratman323 said:
bluejeannot said:
P.S did you know that E pickups were made by Mc Vities in the same factory that made chocolate digestive biscuits?I know it`s true because found some chocolatey crumbs under the pickguard of one of my St60s honestly! Gabe.

Of course I knew that. :roll:

Milk chocolate on models up to ST60, plain chocolate on ST80s & above.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back