Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

St-? lefty
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Sightings & eBay Alerts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bazz
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, just checked my lefty 84 goldstar, a 50's copy it has a maple neck, round string tree, 5 digit serial number (no L at the beginning) and deluxe stamped tuners.That strat looks pretty new to me.
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah , 84maple neck St 50s should have butterfly string retainer no L but a 5 digit serial.84St 60s should have 4 digit number and round string retainer.Later maple necked Goldies 85 onwards had six digit serial numbers 3 piece bodies and NO brass plate.This guitar is definitely not an 84.A maple neck leftie was designated as An st55L,but did not have an L serial number,this was only present on rosewood necked guitars.Gabe.
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/reviews/guitarbuyer_uk_p154.jpg Here`s a lefty Goldie that this magazine article claims to be from 84 but cannot be due to the fact that it has 6 digit serial and mushroom as opposed classic strap buttons.Gabe.
BlueThird
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being a Goldie owner I can't really add anything much about the guitar, but I can say that the box my Anniversary came in didn't look anything like that one. The condition is obviously unusual, but the typeface on the box seems to match the one they used on the special edition guitars around then.
jacco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueThird wrote:
Not being a Goldie owner I can't really add anything much about the guitar, but I can say that the box my Anniversary came in didn't look anything like that one. The condition is obviously unusual, but the typeface on the box seems to match the one they used on the special edition guitars around then.

Those were my thoughts too, but that italic fond is from around 86 I believe?
jacco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluejeannot wrote:
Later maple necked Goldies 85 onwards had six digit serial numbers 3 piece bodies and NO brass plate.Gabe.

Do you mean the neck plate?
stratman323

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluejeannot wrote:
http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/reviews/guitarbuyer_uk_p154.jpg Here`s a lefty Goldie that this magazine article claims to be from 84 but cannot be due to the fact that it has 6 digit serial and mushroom as opposed classic strap buttons.Gabe.

Are you suggesting that any Goldie with a 6 digit serial number must be later than 1984?

I can't take strap buttons seriously as a way of identifying a guitar. Because so many people use straplok devices, people change strap buttons like they change their underwear!

Anyway, the guitar in the article is a Springy, so what does 1984 have to do with anything?
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/reviews/guitarbuyer_uk_p150.jpg Yes that`s what I`m suggesting Mike,and the guitar in the article IS a Goldie.85 Goldies and later had 6 digits, no brass plate and mushroom strap buttons,I know I`ve seen a few of them over the years.Gabe.

Last edited by bluejeannot on Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:24 am; edited 2 times in total
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacco wrote:
bluejeannot wrote:
Later maple necked Goldies 85 onwards had six digit serial numbers 3 piece bodies and NO brass plate.Gabe.

Do you mean the neck plate?
No the much discussed plate under the controls.Gabe.
stratman323

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluejeannot wrote:
Yes that`s what I`m suggesting Mike,and the guitar in the article IS a Goldie.

85 Goldies and later had 6 digits, no brass plate and mushroom strap buttons,I know I`ve seen a few of them over the years.Gabe.

The heading for the article is Tokai Springy Sound. If neither they nor the owner can get that right, I would discount the whole article!

So you're saying that my Sparkle Red Goldie is from 1985 or later because of the serial number?

No mushrooms on this guitar.
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Approx,Mike,approx! Gabe.
stratman323

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's one theory Gabe. Another theory is that Tokai really weren't that precise about which neckplates the used on which guitars - which would explain why we sometimes see maple board models with an L serial number.

Also there's the other problem that neckplates are nearly as easily changed as strap buttons.....
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strap buttons had not been changed on the guitars I saw they were all the same mushroom shape and all original,this is not a theory it`s a fact.Gabe. P.S. I have never changed strap buttons on any of my Goldies or Springys and I bet you`ve never changed any either.

Last edited by bluejeannot on Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
stratman323

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluejeannot wrote:
The strap buttons had not been changed on the guitars I saw they were all the same mushroom shape and all original,this is not a theory it`s a fact.Gabe.

OK, well you've tried all my Goldies - you even sold me one of them! How many of them have original strap buttons?
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of `em probably.Gabe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Sightings & eBay Alerts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: