NGD: ObG 59RI

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mono

Reaction score
Just in from Japan:

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

Happy new guitar day andy!!! That is a mighty fine obg reissue and what a beautiful top...Really nice colour, never seen one that looked like yours.
So its a 1993 fujigen serial number..Is it veneer :eek:

I am really happy for you man!!

MOJO HOBO

Hi Mojo, sorry I didn't get back to you on MLP. It is in fact a veneer, but it's such a tasty colour and figure, I think I can live with it. :)

It's such a nice guitar to play and feels a bit more "put together" than my Burny (which I have just sold locally). Lovely neck profile as well, a 59 sort of thing.

Awesome and even without a pickguard and more important without a hole ! That's fantastic,congrats for this beauty.

Its a good looking LP but most important: veneer tops are for the bin:wink:

Good looking rosewood! I like when the fretboard is dark like on a real LP (52-60 original vintage).
But please, get rid of those disgusting plastic inlays:wink:
Looks so much better with MOP!!

I just bought this 59R (will be for sale soon if its veneer).

ObG59r.jpg

Koubayashi said:

Good looking rosewood! I like when the fretboard is dark like on a real LP (52-60 original vintage).

ObG59r.jpg

like many others, you are an veneer snob/opinionated fool, stop trashing other peoples purchases, there is nothing wrong with veneer.

90% of all ObG are veneer, and I dont hear anyone who owns one continually MOANING about the fact......

winks and amusing emoticons do not forgive you.... stop dissing guitars you don't own, its just RUDE....

Thank you everybody for the (generally) positive comments.

It makes me laugh when people are snobs about veneer tops. As villager says, solid topped ObGs are so very rare, you are welcome to waste hours of your life hunting for one and then pay over the odds to get it in your hands. Be my guest.

Meanwhile, I will enjoy my quality instrument and continue to not give a **** (like most pro musicians) as to how string vibrations pass to the body. If you play like crap, what difference does it make anyway :wink:

villager said:
Koubayashi said:

ObG59r.jpg

like many others, you are an veneer snob/opinionated fool, stop trashing other peoples purchases, there is nothing wrong with veneer.

90% of all ObG are veneer, and I dont hear anyone who owns one continually MOANING about the fact......

winks and amusing emoticons do not forgive you.... stop dissing guitars you don't own, its just RUDE....

Come on dude, I was being sarcastic. Mainly refering to my own sillyness of prefering solid over veneer.

Kind of like Monty Python.

As I wrote, its a good looking Lester and I still think so despite I don't like veneer.

Mono said:
Thank you everybody for the (generally) positive comments.

It makes me laugh when people are snobs about veneer tops. As villager says, solid topped ObGs are so very rare, you are welcome to waste hours of your life hunting for one and then pay over the odds to get it in your hands. Be my guest.

Meanwhile, I will enjoy my quality instrument and continue to not give a ^&*( (like most pro musicians) as to how string vibrations pass to the body. If you play like crap, what difference does it make anyway :wink:

I don't spend hours of my life hunting guitars, I pay people to do if for me!

Anyways, let me clarify, I was really joking about the veneer thingy.
If I wasn't I would not use emocons. As seen in this text!

Maybe I misunderstood you then, sarcasm doesn't translate well over the net.

I'm extremely happy with what I've got and it's a joy to pick up and play. I hope your solid topped holy-grail inspires you in the same way when/if you get it :wink:

Mono said:
Maybe I misunderstood you then, sarcasm doesn't translate well over the net.

I'm extremely happy with what I've got and it's a joy to pick up and play. I hope your solid topped holy-grail inspires you in the same way when/if you get it :wink:

Yupp, sarcasm doesn't do well written!

I have a couple of solid tops so I'm content!

But, it's like.......hmmm.....drugs? Very addictive, so I keep on looking.
And besides, its like playing the lottery :D

villager said:
Koubayashi said:

ObG59r.jpg

Sure, there's nothing wrong with veneer, but why should anybody have to put up with it when solid wood is available? What I'm saying is, why the f*ck do makers use it? :roll:

In the case of the Japanese guitars I think the makers use veneer because it is more work, and more craftsmanship involved to use it, so maybe in Japan it shows higher craftsmanship being used on the guitar?

People who are happy to have plain solid tops (myself included) will always see a veneer top as a second rate top, and that flamey veneer is essentially pointless on a guitar, sorry, just my opinion. :)

JVsearch said:
villager said:
Koubayashi said:

ObG59r.jpg

Sure, there's nothing wrong with veneer, but why should anybody have to put up with it when solid wood is available? What I'm saying is, why the f*ck do makers use it? :roll:

In the case of the Japanese guitars I think the makers use veneer because it is more work, and more craftsmanship involved to use it, so maybe in Japan it shows higher craftsmanship being used on the guitar?

People who are happy to have plain solid tops (myself included) will always see a veneer top as a second rate top, and that flamey veneer is essentially pointless on a guitar, sorry, just my opinion. :)
I can't see the super duper skills required to attach a veneer onto another piece of wood. Sure its curved but its just to use vacuum press.

For me, a veneer kills the mojo. Despite there might be no tonal difference and that there is no visual difference.

Why the Japanese did it? Easy: Its far more cheaper than solid flame maple. Over here, a piece of American maple with flames cost several hundred ? and so it does in Japan too.

They just need to make a hybrid of maple that grows fast and is subjected to continuous trauma thus creating Birdseye, flame, curly, etc figured maple. There is no tonal difference between a solid and veneer and currently I do not own a veneer topped guitar but I have no issues with them. They still look good and you do not pull your pickups while jamming or playing live to show people your solid top so who cares really?

Koubayashi said:
JVsearch said:
villager said:
Koubayashi said:

ObG59r.jpg

I can't see the super duper skills required to attach a veneer onto another piece of wood. Sure its curved but its just to use vacuum press.

For me, a veneer kills the mojo. Despite there might be no tonal difference and that there is no visual difference.

Why the Japanese did it? Easy: Its far more cheaper than solid flame maple. Over here, a piece of American maple with flames cost several hundred ? and so it does in Japan too.

How shall it kill the mojo :roll:
It's not a guitar without maple cap,it has mahogany body,maple cap and a thin veneer on top.If I would compare 2 guitars with and without veneer on top I would always buy the one with the better tone.

Latest posts

Back