Goldstar, help please

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forget ye not them divots in the bottom of the pickup routs. Aren't they an indicator of pre '85? Cue '85 Goldstar with divots owner :)

bluejeannot said:
It`s not a theory Mike it`s a fact.I`ve come across two verifiably 85 goldie st50s with no brass plate ,now here is definite proof of a third.It`s not Javelin`s opinion that he bought his Goldie new in 85 and it had no brass plate it`s a fact!Looks like hard evidence to me that the brass plate had been dropped by 85 ,no doubt due to cost savings. Gabe. :roll:

So you're saying that the vast majority of Goldstars that we see in the UK (most of which have the brass plate) were made in '84 with only a relatively small number (sans brass plate) imported afterwards? :eek: That's the bit I'm struggling with - it just doesn't seem logical to me. I always understood that Blue Suede Music continued to import Goldies till at least the late 80s (or am I wrong here?) - so why aren't the majority of Goldies bereft of the brass plate?

It would be nice to hear Peter Mac's view on this point.

To answer george, the brass plate is (in my humble opinion) one of the very few design improvements made on the Strat since 1954 (second only to rosewood boards :wink: ). As well as shielding the electric bits better than a piece of foil, it makes soldering up the various ground leads much easier. A small piece of genius from Tokai. :p

And no george, we're not mixing posts, we're just going off on a bit of a tangent. That's what we do on here. :wink:

mirrorboy said:
Forget ye not them divots in the bottom of the pickup routs. Aren't they an indicator of pre '85? Cue '85 Goldstar with divots owner :)

They are probably quite a reliable indicator, I would have thought, we did have a thread on this a while back, didn't we? What was the conclusion? Divots = older?

http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd79/bluejeannot/Tokai%20Goldstar%20ST60/?action=view&current=IMG_1841.jpg&newest=1 If no man will come forward in this hour of our greatest need,when ignorance like a miasma obscures our vision, then tis` up to me! behold ye divots!Gabe.

george said:
OK - original or not, do you guys know where I could get prospec saddles? I can't find Tokai spares anywhere :(

your best bet is to probably buy a whole new trem when they pop up on ebay... which is rare but it does happen

I have to say I am one of those annoying people who have replaced his saddles - but they were just FAR too rusty... I keep them in a bag in its hardcase though for resale purposes.

I bought the wilkinson bent steel ones for my '84 Flamingo Orange Goldie.... I was planning on buying the fender stamped ones but I couldnt justify 40 quid on some saddles.

I'm toying with the idea of a refret as well, but only back to vintage wire. Not the jumbo's that every 80's refretted gstar seems to have... Would love to hear what people think if this would effect a resale?

JJMcG said:
george said:
OK - original or not, do you guys know where I could get prospec saddles? I can't find Tokai spares anywhere :(

your best bet is to probably buy a whole new trem when they pop up on ebay... which is rare but it does happen

I have to say I am one of those annoying people who have replaced his saddles - but they were just FAR too rusty... I keep them in a bag in its hardcase though for resale purposes.

I bought the wilkinson bent steel ones for my '84 Flamingo Orange Goldie.... I was planning on buying the fender stamped ones but I couldnt justify 40 quid on some saddles.

I'm toying with the idea of a refret as well, but only back to vintage wire. Not the jumbo's that every 80's refretted gstar seems to have... Would love to hear what people think if this would effect a resale?

If it's in need of a refret, a quality job with vinatage wire will improve it's resale value, not diminish it, no one wants a guitar with worn out frets

george said:
Ok - divots...right. Is flamingo orange a custom colour or standard fayre?

From the 1985 catalogue (I don't have 1984)

File0238.jpg

File0240.jpg

For some strange reason, all the metallic colours were ST55 colours (ie custom colours) except for Metallic Red, which was "standard". FO, however, was an ST55 colour. The logic of that is beyond me! :-?

Having said that, we have seen quite a few examples of guitars with finishes that mean they should be ST55s with ST50 stickers on them, so either Tokai were a bit haphazard about which stickers they used, or they regularly changed their mind about what a "standard" colour was. Either way it doesn't make much difference - an ST55 was an ST50 in a different colour, that's all.

And what about this one?

IMG_2127.jpg

Does the colour (MR) mean it's an ST50? Or does the matching headstock make it "custom" and therefore an ST55? I call it an ST55, but that may be incorrect.

bluejeannot said:
Doth anyone here have an engraving of ye ancient divots gentles?Gabe :D

More to the point, can anyone find the thread some months back where we discussed this issue? I should have kept a note of it, but I didn't.

To keep it brief, Springys had these mysterious round holes at the bottom of the pickup routs. Some Goldstars don't have these. The theory is that early Goldies have the divots, later Goldies don't. What we did was to make a correlation between pickups (Us, which we believe are earlier, as Springys had them, & the later V pickups). And, generally speaking, the Goldies with Us were more likely to have the divots, so the presence (or lack of) divots should be an indicator of age.

1980 ST60 (E pickups)

9_big.jpg

ST50 OW with Us

IMG_0447.jpg

ST55 MG (rosewood) with Us

IMG_2371.jpg

ST55 MG (maple) with V1s

IMG_0482.jpg

So, it does rather look as though the divots might be a reliable way of dating Goldies - maybe more reliable than the brass plate. Clearly Tokai wouldn't have made some guitar bodies with divots at the same time as they made other bodies without them, would they?

Unfortunately, they did.

1980 Silver Star SS60

IMG_2104.jpg

This is why it's so difficult to date a Tokai which doesn't have a date-specific serial number - in other words all post 1982 Springys & Goldies. Tokais defy logical analysis.....

:-? :eek: :roll:

stratman323 said:
JohnA said:
no one wants a guitar with worn out frets

Except me, you mean?

:lol:

name your price mate ... I've got gas for a 7okai mapel neck and sunburst body, silver or goldstar - if you can accomodate :D drop me a pm and we can discuss...

JJMcG said:
name your price mate ... I've got gas for a 7okai mapel neck and sunburst body, silver or goldstar - if you can accomodate :D drop me a pm and we can discuss...

I meant generally, it's a bit of a standing joke between me, John, & a few other people. I'm not looking for any more Goldies right now.

If it was a Breezy you were selling, we might have something to talk about.

Latest posts

Back