Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Forum Member -- New Tokai Buyer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheese Grits
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: New Forum Member -- New Tokai Buyer Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I'm new here, but I've been lurking for a while. This seems like a great forum.

Anyhow, I've got a line on a 1983 Tokai TLC60, serial number 3013859. The owner says it has a couple of nics, but there is still decent fretlife left and -- he says -- the guitar plays well. I have no reason to doubt all this.

I have wanted a Tokai for some time now, but I don't want to rush into things. Does this sound like a good deal for $475?

Thanks,

/Grits
ian
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cheese Grits, welcome to the forum . Have to admit I?ve never even seen a 1980?s Custom, far less played one. However, apart from the extra binding (& maybe all mahogany construction) I think it?s effectively the same as the Standard Love Rock.

$475 is a good price if the guitar is 100% original (original pups etc.), but note that Custom models are not so desirable as Std?s & typically command 25% lower price. This is partly due to fashion, ie many famous guitarists have used Standards & people want to emulate that, but also because Customs are usually opaque colour (eg black) so you can?t see what wood you?re getting (eg how many pieces?) ? Standards are mostly burst tops & often have attractive grain.

If those were sellers precise words ?decent fret-life left?, then it suggests to me the frets are pretty worn ? re-fret would cost maybe $300 (pure guess) ? need to clarify that stuff .

Ian.
allthumbs
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Cheese,

I have an 82' LC that I can't say enough good things about. It's a transparent wine finish that let's the grain show through very nicely. It's true that the Standards seem to be more in demand but I love the sound and the look of the Custom. The mahogany-on-mahogany is a little bit different than the maple cap in tone - but it is all Les Paul. I paid a lot more than $475 for it so it sounds like you've got a nice opportunity there.
Cheese Grits
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

This particular one has the transparent wine finish. It looks nice, but I do wish it wasn't bound and said Love Rock on the headstock. Maybe I should just keep looking, but $475 delivered with a hard shell case seems like a pretty good buy.

Really though, when I think about it, I would rather have a standard or a Reborn.
mayfair
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Iam a new member too, I have LS50 Reborn 79 & LS100 love rock 80,
I think my reborn 's pickup is too much bass and very thin treble .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: