Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Orville Les Paul - Collectors nightmare, players dream?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Orville
View previous topic :: View next topic  
japanstrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I compare early K Orvilles (1989-1991) to later K Orvilles (1992-1993), the later K Orvilles look somewhat better and the early burst finish 3 piece tops were basically replaced by 2 piece tops.

I have a hunch that Yamano wasn't really that happy about the early Orvilles and probably told Terada to improve the quality of the K Orvilles around 1991/1992. Yamano was looking elsewhere for another guitar maker to take over the Orvilles and Yamano gave most of the Orville contract to Fujigen around 1993.

Terada were throwing a lot of the early K Orvilles together, especially the solid colours and the 3 piece burst tops out of wood pieces at their factory.
Even the lower priced Terada G serial OBG's often have separate pieces of wood for the neck heel and I havn't seen a lower priced solid colour G serial OBG stripped yet but I would expect multiple pieces of wood as well.
The higher model Terada G serial OBG's don't have a separate neck heel wood piece.
The later K Orville burst tops are mostly 2 piece tops and some K Orvilles are really just demoted G serial OBG's so the K Orvilles are a grab bag of this and that.
The best looking and fewer piece K Orvilles seem to be the later ones from around 1992/1993.

Comparing K Orville SG's with G serial OBG SG's, they are basically the same regarding the number of pieces of wood so looks like Terada were mostly doing more pieces of wood on early solid colour K Orville LP's and especially the solid colour LP tops.

The number of pieces of wood is basically a price thing.
Using leftover odd shaped pieces of wood means that they can order less new wood and therefore save money.
As I said above, whether the number of pieces of wood is a big deal to the final tone is debatable.
mojo hobo
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes JAPSTRAT..I think your correct and concur that the early K-orville might have been below par and corners cut in there production,mine was (if i remember right) was a 91 k-orville.
3-piece top
4 piece back
Neck with heel
Inlays loose and beguining to pop up...
Sometimes i wonder how many K-ORVILLES were made in that timeframe of 1989-1991,the actual production terada was churning out.

MOJO HOBO
soundcreation
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just goes to show though....my by Gibson terada G series is an 89 with a three piece back and neck heel and it's bloody amazing. On the lighter side and very resonant.
japanstrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for an example that a lot of people know, just take Eddie Van Halen.

On the first Van Halen Album there is a cover of the Kinks "You Really Got Me" which was released as a single and was a hit.

Eddie is playing a Ibanez Destroyer on "You Really Got Me" and the Ibanez Destroyer is made from multiple pieces of wood in the body and the neck. The Greco Destroyer is the same Fujigen made guitar as the Ibanez Destroyer just with different Greco U-2000 pickups instead of the Ibanez Super 70 pickups.

http://www.guitarattack.com/destroyer/destroyer.htm

The multiple pieces of wood didn't worry Eddie as he just painted the whole guitar white (he did other things to it later on as well).

The sound Eddie got on "You Really Got Me" with the Ibanez Destroyer is a sound that a lot of guitarists have tried to copy and it's coming from a guitar body and neck made from multiple pieces of wood.

Getting hung up on how many pieces of wood a guitar is really only for looks and not how the whole guitar sounds and the final sound also depends on the pickups and even the hardware like the Strat springs contributing to the final tone or different bridges etc, amps, speakers, effects and PLAYING TECHNIQUE.

Poor playing technique or style will make any guitar sound bad.

Joop
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Orville Les Paul - Collectors nightmare, players dream? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I just read the feedback the seller got from the sale of this guitar and the buyer is very pleased with his purchase.

Glad that despite all the confusion and opinions some one has joined the long list of MIJ lovers.

Next topic please.... )

Sunny greetings from Portugal!
Joop
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Orville Les Paul - Collectors nightmare, players dream? Reply with quote

japanstrat wrote:
Well for an example that a lot of people know, just take Eddie Van Halen.

On the first Van Halen Album there is a cover of the Kinks "You Really Got Me" which was released as a single and was a hit.

Eddie is playing a Ibanez Destroyer on "You Really Got Me" and the Ibanez Destroyer is made from multiple pieces of wood in the body and the neck. The Greco Destroyer is the same Fujigen made guitar as the Ibanez Destroyer just with different Greco U-2000 pickups instead of the Ibanez Super 70 pickups.

http://www.guitarattack.com/destroyer/destroyer.htm

The multiple pieces of wood didn't worry Eddie as he just painted the whole guitar white (he did other things to it later on as well).

The sound Eddie got on "You Really Got Me" with the Ibanez Destroyer is a sound that a lot of guitarists have tried to copy and it's coming from a guitar body and neck made from multiple pieces of wood.

Getting hung up on how many pieces of wood a guitar is really only for looks and not how the whole guitar sounds and the final sound also depends on the pickups and even the hardware like the Strat springs contributing to the final tone or different bridges etc, amps, speakers, effects and PLAYING TECHNIQUE.

Poor playing technique or style will make any guitar sound bad.

Couldn't agree with you more... Good guitarist can make ANY thing sound good, bad players will sound awful no matter what they've got in their hands...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Orville All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: