LS-60 Toaki from 1992 but no serial number?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIJorMIK

Reaction score
I've seen this sales ad before...

This is in mint condition. I would rate it at 95%. Has a 2 screw truss rod cover, Maple top, all original and neck is straight as an arrow. Truss rod works. This is a great price for those of you that know what these are. Priced at 400.00. This is a REAL Tokai that was made in early 90's. Gotoh pickups black / black. True 1/2 inch Maple cap Price is FIRM, as I am way under what I paid. Pickups do not have covers, they are black pickups. This one for sale was built in 1992. It is dated in cavity. NO SHIPPING!!! I will update photos later. Korean built tokais all have 2 screw truss rod covers.

It's my highly non-expert opinion that he got sold a Korean Tokai instead of the Japanese he wanted and is trying to mislead people into thinking that the truss rod cover can't be changed as well as the white electronics panels on the back of the instrument...

So is he right or mistaken about MIJ having 3 screw truss rod covers and am I right that this isn't an LS-60 without a serial number and that it's definitely Japanese?

Inquiring minds want to know :)

Thanks for your guess in this matter..

http://s907.photobucket.com/albums/ac278/N91592/AberdeenKoreanTokai/

MIJorMIK said:
Korean built tokais all have 2 screw truss rod covers

Nope, that's the wrong way round. MIJ Tokais have 2 hole TRCs, Korean & Chinese Tokais have 3 hole TRCs.

Here's my Korean Love Rock, sold to a mate a couple of years ago.

119_1955.jpg

119_1959.jpg

You might occasionally find a MIK or MIC that has been retro-fitted with a 2 hole TRC, but I can't imagine that anyone has ever fitted a 3 hole TRC to an MIJ Tokai.

Mike

Thanks Mike for your reply.

I thought the sellers ad was incorrect about Truss Rod Cover. NOW, with those white electronics covers on the back of the guitar don't you think that this Tokai might be the very situation you refer to above--namely, that someone has taken a MIK guitar and changed the TRC to make it appear the guitar was MIJ to enhance its chances of being sold?

IF indeed he went to the trouble of removing the pickups and found "1992" stamped in there, could this guitar, even if he's wrong about the model number actually be MIJ?

I think he knows he's got a Korean Tokai and is trying to pass it off as Japanese. Can anyone agree with me?

I only am concerned because as a potential buyer I want to know what I'm getting in to.

if there's no serial number, 2 screw TRC and cream covers it's likely made in Korea ALS48. It's also inferior wood I think, basswood or alder from memory. The seller is a reputable one though, thats if it the same as the name on the pictures, so I'm surprised if he's deliberately misrepresenting the guitar. That guitar youy pictured doesn't seem to be for sale by him now or recently either? Suggest you post the question at http://mijgas.freeforums.org/index.php because the forum administrator knows about these I think.

Dave

MIJorMIK said:
I thought the sellers ad was incorrect about Truss Rod Cover. NOW, with those white electronics covers on the back of the guitar don't you think that this Tokai might be the very situation you refer to above--namely, that someone has taken a MIK guitar and changed the TRC to make it appear the guitar was MIJ to enhance its chances of being sold?

That would be my assessment, yes.

Hi DaveWW/Stratman,

Thanks for your opinions on the LS-60 Tokai. I wanted to state unequivocably that the watermark URL seller in the pictures IS NOT the current seller. I believe that the current seller knew the Tokai pictured IS Korean but is trying to pass it off as Japanese for financial gain. While I have no experience with the ebay seller who's URL is displayed who appears Dutch, I have a good idea he is reputable and legit. The guitar is being offered in the States by a party that is reselling.

The only thing I'm confused about now, after the pros have responded, is that if the current seller knows its Korean and wants to decieve the buyer with a 2 screw truss rod cover would there be anywhere in the headstock to screw that bottom(middle) screw? I understand that there might be screw holes under the wings (each side at the bottom)

By virtue of the guitar being on the market so long I am suspicious. Thanks to all who have ideas on how to flush out a skunk if it exists that is.

I had a Chinese Burny that I put a two screw TRC on, there's no where to put the bottom screw, so I glued it in the TRC hole and snipped the threads off.

As the seller for a pic with the TRC removed.

Just to be clear. I think that there are 2 screw MIKs about and they've been discussed on the forum before a couple of times.

Thanks for pointing out that it isn't the seller who took the photo's. He's been around a long time and is a respected seller.

I know this guitar, and the seller. It has a 2 screw TRC with no alterations. The ad reads like he means it to read. He does not know what it is. Either did the seller where it came from which is the watermarked seller. At 400.00 after paying 130.00 in shipping, you think he is making a gain then well I won't respond for the seller but I am not him. But I have bought from him and he is straight.

Latest posts

Back