Fender Amps

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnA

Reaction score
As a long time Marshall user, I've decided to get myself a Fender amp for some of the lovely clean, Reverb soaked cleans. So far I've tried a Deluxe reverb Reissue and a 70's Super Reverb, the Deluxe to my ears was overly thin, and when wound up a bit sounded bloody awful!! It's plus points were the size and volume are pretty much ideal

The Super on the other hand sounded exactly like I was looking for but was a bit big & loud!!

Anyone got any opinions on what might be the perfect compromise, or should I just get the Super and stop being such a wus!!

A Pro Reverb, is almost as big and heavy as the Super, and from what I've read dosn't have the same sort of weight to it's clean sounds, I've also been looking at the possibility of a Rivera era Deluxe Reverb II which from the youtube clips I've listened too sounds a lot better to my ears than an original Deluxe.

JohnA said:
As a long time Marshall user, I've decided to get myself a Fender amp for some of the lovely clean, Reverb soaked cleans

There is a God after all!

:lol:

JohnA said:
The Super on the other hand sounded exactly like I was looking for but was a bit big & loud!!

Anyone got any opinions on what might be the perfect compromise, or should I just get the Super and stop being such a wus!!

Get a head,i know its expensiv,but its a incredible amp.
Pre,post,TMB and a realy realy good two knob reverb.
http://www.peachguitars.com/guitar-amps/guitar-amps/dr-z-ezg50-head-black.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQCCfWaiMfI&feature=related

Volker

Besides the difference in power between both amps (and maybe amount of speakers?) it probably also had something to do with the fact that the Super has 6L6 power tubes and the Deluxe 6V6. 6L6 has more clean headroom.
So great call from Volker: The DrZ also has 6L6 tubes, maybe you should get a 1 x 12" combo for less sound pressure/perceived volume?

I should add I use a DrZ Maz18 and it does a great job at low volumes. Not a Fender style amp but just to give a further thumbs up on DrZ.

Thanks guys, just listened to the DR Z clips andI am totally convinced, not a doubt in my mind, I need the Super Reverb :D

There's something very non-fender about the punch from the Super, these weak blackface sounds don't do it for me

I tried a Bassman 59 LTD this weekend and was surprised by it's great dynamics and how close it came to my beloved Mojave Plexi45

I did read that Stratman! I have a DRRI and would agree with John`s view on it being a little `thin` sounding,however if you try a Fulldrive in front they really come alive,even with a small amount of `push` from the pedal and with the various options of the Fulldrive you`re sure to find something that suits, i would think.

Back