Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fender Amps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Amps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Fender Amps Reply with quote

As a long time Marshall user, I've decided to get myself a Fender amp for some of the lovely clean, Reverb soaked cleans. So far I've tried a Deluxe reverb Reissue and a 70's Super Reverb, the Deluxe to my ears was overly thin, and when wound up a bit sounded bloody awful!! It's plus points were the size and volume are pretty much ideal

The Super on the other hand sounded exactly like I was looking for but was a bit big & loud!!

Anyone got any opinions on what might be the perfect compromise, or should I just get the Super and stop being such a wus!!

A Pro Reverb, is almost as big and heavy as the Super, and from what I've read dosn't have the same sort of weight to it's clean sounds, I've also been looking at the possibility of a Rivera era Deluxe Reverb II which from the youtube clips I've listened too sounds a lot better to my ears than an original Deluxe.
stratman323

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fender Amps Reply with quote

JohnA wrote:
As a long time Marshall user, I've decided to get myself a Fender amp for some of the lovely clean, Reverb soaked cleans

There is a God after all!

JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Fender Amps Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
JohnA wrote:
As a long time Marshall user, I've decided to get myself a Fender amp for some of the lovely clean, Reverb soaked cleans

There is a God after all!

That's as well as, not instead of
settebello
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender Amps Reply with quote

JohnA wrote:

The Super on the other hand sounded exactly like I was looking for but was a bit big & loud!!

Anyone got any opinions on what might be the perfect compromise, or should I just get the Super and stop being such a wus!!

Get a head,i know its expensiv,but its a incredible amp.
Pre,post,TMB and a realy realy good two knob reverb.
http://www.peachguitars.com/guitar-amps/guitar-amps/dr-z-ezg50-head-black.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQCCfWaiMfI&feature=related

Volker
jacco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the difference in power between both amps (and maybe amount of speakers?) it probably also had something to do with the fact that the Super has 6L6 power tubes and the Deluxe 6V6. 6L6 has more clean headroom.
So great call from Volker: The DrZ also has 6L6 tubes, maybe you should get a 1 x 12" combo for less sound pressure/perceived volume?
jacco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add I use a DrZ Maz18 and it does a great job at low volumes. Not a Fender style amp but just to give a further thumbs up on DrZ.
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, just listened to the DR Z clips andI am totally convinced, not a doubt in my mind, I need the Super Reverb

There's something very non-fender about the punch from the Super, these weak blackface sounds don't do it for me
glaister3
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a DRRI with a Fulldrive 2 in front,adds all the guts you need !
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glaister3 wrote:
Try a DRRI with a Fulldrive 2 in front,adds all the guts you need !

He said he tried a Deluxe & didn't like it......
jacco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a Bassman 59 LTD this weekend and was surprised by it's great dynamics and how close it came to my beloved Mojave Plexi45
glaister3
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did read that Stratman! I have a DRRI and would agree with John`s view on it being a little `thin` sounding,however if you try a Fulldrive in front they really come alive,even with a small amount of `push` from the pedal and with the various options of the Fulldrive you`re sure to find something that suits, i would think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Amps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: