Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pathetic Addict Buys "History" LP-Based Guitar
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheNewSteveH
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Pathetic Addict Buys "History" LP-Based Guitar Reply with quote

I have already bought my second Japanese Les Paul. I need therapy.

A while back, I bought a Matsumoku-made Burny, and I loved it, so I kept shopping. I found a crazy deal. Some guy had a grey "History" ZLS-90, which is like a Les Paul with a smooth heel. It was bought new in 2006 or 2007 and then STUCK IN A CLOSET. The stickers and junk were still on it. It was in brand-new condition.

I contacted Shimamura, the company that has Fujigen make these things. They said the only differences between this one and their current models ($1900) were things like pickups and colors, so maybe I did good. I paid a lot less.

Anyone else here got one? I love this thing. Gorgeous workmanship, and the "Circle Fret" deal they do with the neck actually seems to work. To my ear, the intonation sounds wonderful.

The treble/rhythm switch is not very smooth, but I think I can stand it.

The photo is hideous, but the guitar is beautiful. For some reason, the knobs look atrocious in the photo, but when you see the guitar for real, it looks much better.

bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cranesmusicstore.com/tanglewoodbat7fmtk-p-1432.html Looks rather like this one,don`t you think? Gabe.
AlanN
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little bit, but I'm not sure what you're suggesting Gabe?

These history models are really nice, and the circle fretting system plus smooth neck heel means it's not likely to be anything to do with that Tanglewood run.
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Signature/STR-1+HB+Les+Paul+Copy/10/1 Not the same Alan.but bloody great Fuji Gen guitars too.Gabe.
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.arkay.de/guitars/signature/index.html This one is the 2005 model and is practicaly identical to mine.Gabe.
TheNewSteveH
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one has a sycamore veneer top. I don't know if that's good or bad.
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flame veneer top Steve .no problem most Tokais are the same.It a very thin flame veneer over a solid maple cap.Gabe.

Last edited by bluejeannot on Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheNewSteveH
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The History guitar I put at the top of this thread.
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Sycamore and maple same genus wood.Enjoy your guitar it`s a beaut! Gabe.
TheNewSteveH
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it a lot. The Circle Fret thing seems to be for real, because the intonation is very good.

I have noticed that some FGN (Fujigen house brand) guitars also have the Circle Fret system.

I hate to admit this, but I like it so much I bought a History ES-335 copy. Waiting for it to get here from Japan.
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hair of the dog that bit you, is the best cure for a hangover! Gabe
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

other differences between this black one and the top ends are...African mahogany vs Honduras, veneers vs solid caps, fret board wood and inlay material. The p`ups are different as are the electronics. I own a Cool-Z that is the same level as this black one...and I still see those in the local Shimamura shop in several colors,they offer a custom color order system too...and they are real nice guitars. I paid $300.oo for my Cool-Z used and that was an unbelievable buy, it still had the plastic on the covers. Only paid $600.oo for my top end FGN from 2001 at the same shop and again, for a guitar with the appointments above, it was a deal I could not refuse.
TheNewSteveH
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I asked Shimamura what the differences between the ZLS-90CFS (my guitar) and the newer LPs were, they said:

Quote:
ZLS90CFS was discontinued in 2007 and different from our current models.
I think the model you indicating (over 160,000yen) is TH-LS which has different specification.
http://www.shimamura.co.jp/originalbrand/history/eg_th/th_lsfm.html

Reason is:
-TH-LS does not have gray or transparent black color.
-TH-LS Pick ups are open type using alnico 8 magnet. (your photo is covered pick ups and I think it has sticker indicating model: BH-1. BH-1 are pick-ups for ZLS90CFS)
-TH-LS has pit under tone, volume, toggle switch which can not be recognized by your photo.
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you said the current model you compare yours to retails for $1900.oo...the 90ZFC retails for 90,000....big difference. The model you have was discontinued in `07 but they simply changed the name to Cool-Z...same specs, same guitar...retail price 110,000 yen for figured top in the local Shimamura store. The TH-LS is made from African mahogany and has a veneer top...retail 168,000 yen. The SH-L1 is their top end model with top of the line everything...retail 346,000 yen for flame...378,000 for quilt top.
My Cool-Z...I have the black custom version...has a 2 piece back, 2 piece top and Louis p`ups...like yours though I have never checked the number of pieces on the models that compare to your because I will not pay their retail price for one, I got my Cool-Z for about $300.oo CDN. I listed the differences between yours/mine and the models that come next in line. Becasuse mine is black I can`t tell but I bet it`s African mahogany too but I don`t really care, I love the guitar. Certainly not in the same league as my BATT-20 in terms of specs though...and that model was replaced by the current top end LS series...but the BATT-20 were plain top Timeless Timber maple...yours and mine Cool-Z are not...thats another difference I forgot to mention. But just check your catalogs.
TheNewSteveH
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this thing retails for over 100K yen, I feel pretty good about the deal I got.

The guitar I just bought is a near-mint condition ZSA-CFS (ES-335 dot) in cherry. I can't figure out the reason, but someone put it up as a "Buy it Now" for 52,000 yen, so I grabbed it. I got murdered on the fees and shipping, but it was still a pretty shocking deal.

I'm mystified. The new guitar appears unplayed, and it even has the factory strings on it, which are still fresh, but there is a slight amount of corrosion on some of the chrome stuff. It has "damage" on the back side, which is a scratch about the size of a human eyelash, and it also has a tiny rough place on the headstock edge. It's probably in better shape than 90% of the "new" guitars at Guitar Center. I don't understand why someone would buy an instrument this nice, refrain from playing it, and then sell it at a discount of over 50%.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: