New Bacchus BST-64V on the way

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool guitar Marcus! Love those Bacchus strats... I should never have sold mine. Very good price too!

The term veneer is the one I've always heard and used, but I guess it has fallen out of favour because it alludes to one of the (at the time) undesirable design changes applied to the Fender Strat. However, people realised (or came to believe) that the veneer boards had a slightly different tone to the earlier slab boards and that this was a good tone (for some).

It's all here:
http://home.provide.net/~cfh/62strat.html

JVsearch said:
The term veneer is the one I've always heard and used, but I guess it has fallen out of favour because it alludes to one of the (at the time) undesirable design changes applied to the Fender Strat. However, people realised (or came to believe) that the veneer boards had a slightly different tone to the earlier slab boards and that this was a good tone (for some).

It's all here:

Fender didn't change to a cap board to improve the sound, Leo believed that the differential expansion of the two woods would be less of a problem if a thinner slice of rosewood was used. As it turns out, neither slab nor cap boards have proved to be a problem, so he was worrying about nothing. But Leo loved to fiddle.

I defy anyone to tell the difference in sound in a blindfolded test.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to that article - he describes a white rosewood board Strat as a "Mary Kaye", but the Mary Kaye Strats had maple necks.

stratman323 said:
JVsearch said:

It's all here:

I defy anyone to tell the difference in sound in a blindfolded test.

Heh heh heh, that's why I put "or came to believe", I bet most tone differences were from pickup heights!

stratman323 said:
I wouldn't pay too much attention to that article - he describes a white rosewood board Strat as a "Mary Kaye", but the Mary Kaye Strats had maple necks.

That site has loads of good info about vintage Fender and Gibson guitars, and they have actually examined and photographed a good few examples of some of them. I think it seems pretty good generally (in my limited experience).

marcusnieman said:
JVsearch said:
I'm not saying it isn't a BST-64, I'm saying it's Bacchus' 64 Strat which is different from many Fenders and Tokai 64s.

Exactly.... it's their version..... it's not a historical reproduction. I love the neck on the white one.... it's fairly chunky like a 65 and nothing like a 62.

On that note, on the Bacchus 62, for those of you who have or have played one, do they have the slim profile that the Fender 62's do?

Do the Bacchus 50's strats have correct V neck profiles?

I have BST62, BST54 and Tokai ST80.
I would say like this: BST62 is quite slim comparing to others, ST80 is fatter V profile and BST54 is even fatter U profile.
Unfortunatelly I can not compare to Fender, because I have only MIJ strats ;)

Thanks.... just got here and it's minty. Feels great, sounds huge like the white one and the rosewood board is a cap / veneer and not a slab. I'll try to get some pics up in the next day or so.

That one on yahoo.jp is nice.... only difference being the tortoise shell pick guard.

Diodibuh said:
I think JohnA has quite a bargain BST for sale in EU ;)

It's been up on this forum for a while, no-one is interested, seems maple is out of favour :wink:

That link to the one on Yahoo japan looks nice, I've never liked 3TSB, but with a tortoise shell scratchplate it looks really good!

looks like me and John are the only maple guys here ;) I have 4 strats and only BST62 has rosewood, all other have maple fretboards.

JohnA said:
It's been up on this forum for a while, no-one is interested, seems maple is out of favour :wink:

That link to the one on Yahoo japan looks nice, I've never liked 3TSB, but with a tortoise shell scratchplate it looks really good!

It's about time, I never understood why most Strat players prefer maple. Tele players are even worse!

I disagree about the scratchplate, I prefer Marcus'. Once you change from white or off-white plastic, you get dangerously close to SRV territory - a real ugly Strat!

Back