Pathetic Addict Buys "History" LP-Based Guitar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheNewSteveH

Reaction score
I have already bought my second Japanese Les Paul. I need therapy.

A while back, I bought a Matsumoku-made Burny, and I loved it, so I kept shopping. I found a crazy deal. Some guy had a grey "History" ZLS-90, which is like a Les Paul with a smooth heel. It was bought new in 2006 or 2007 and then STUCK IN A CLOSET. The stickers and junk were still on it. It was in brand-new condition.

I contacted Shimamura, the company that has Fujigen make these things. They said the only differences between this one and their current models ($1900) were things like pickups and colors, so maybe I did good. I paid a lot less.

Anyone else here got one? I love this thing. Gorgeous workmanship, and the "Circle Fret" deal they do with the neck actually seems to work. To my ear, the intonation sounds wonderful.

The treble/rhythm switch is not very smooth, but I think I can stand it.

The photo is hideous, but the guitar is beautiful. For some reason, the knobs look atrocious in the photo, but when you see the guitar for real, it looks much better.

historygreyguitarfrontview.jpg

http://www.cranesmusicstore.com/tanglewoodbat7fmtk-p-1432.html Looks rather like this one,don`t you think? Gabe.

A little bit, but I'm not sure what you're suggesting Gabe?

These history models are really nice, and the circle fretting system plus smooth neck heel means it's not likely to be anything to do with that Tanglewood run.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Signature/STR-1+HB+Les+Paul+Copy/10/1 Not the same Alan.but bloody great Fuji Gen guitars too.Gabe.

http://www.arkay.de/guitars/signature/index.html This one is the 2005 model and is practicaly identical to mine.Gabe.

Flame veneer top Steve .no problem most Tokais are the same.It a very thin flame veneer over a solid maple cap.Gabe.

I like it a lot. The Circle Fret thing seems to be for real, because the intonation is very good.

I have noticed that some FGN (Fujigen house brand) guitars also have the Circle Fret system.

I hate to admit this, but I like it so much I bought a History ES-335 copy. Waiting for it to get here from Japan.

other differences between this black one and the top ends are...African mahogany vs Honduras, veneers vs solid caps, fret board wood and inlay material. The p`ups are different as are the electronics. I own a Cool-Z that is the same level as this black one...and I still see those in the local Shimamura shop in several colors,they offer a custom color order system too...and they are real nice guitars. I paid $300.oo for my Cool-Z used and that was an unbelievable buy, it still had the plastic on the covers. Only paid $600.oo for my top end FGN from 2001 at the same shop and again, for a guitar with the appointments above, it was a deal I could not refuse.

When I asked Shimamura what the differences between the ZLS-90CFS (my guitar) and the newer LPs were, they said:

ZLS90CFS was discontinued in 2007 and different from our current models.
I think the model you indicating (over 160,000yen) is TH-LS which has different specification.
http://www.shimamura.co.jp/originalbrand/history/eg_th/th_lsfm.html

Reason is:
-TH-LS does not have gray or transparent black color.
-TH-LS Pick ups are open type using alnico 8 magnet. (your photo is covered pick ups and I think it has sticker indicating model: BH-1. BH-1 are pick-ups for ZLS90CFS)
-TH-LS has pit under tone, volume, toggle switch which can not be recognized by your photo.

you said the current model you compare yours to retails for $1900.oo...the 90ZFC retails for 90,000....big difference. The model you have was discontinued in `07 but they simply changed the name to Cool-Z...same specs, same guitar...retail price 110,000 yen for figured top in the local Shimamura store. The TH-LS is made from African mahogany and has a veneer top...retail 168,000 yen. The SH-L1 is their top end model with top of the line everything...retail 346,000 yen for flame...378,000 for quilt top.
My Cool-Z...I have the black custom version...has a 2 piece back, 2 piece top and Louis p`ups...like yours though I have never checked the number of pieces on the models that compare to your because I will not pay their retail price for one, I got my Cool-Z for about $300.oo CDN. I listed the differences between yours/mine and the models that come next in line. Becasuse mine is black I can`t tell but I bet it`s African mahogany too but I don`t really care, I love the guitar. Certainly not in the same league as my BATT-20 in terms of specs though...and that model was replaced by the current top end LS series...but the BATT-20 were plain top Timeless Timber maple...yours and mine Cool-Z are not...thats another difference I forgot to mention. But just check your catalogs.

If this thing retails for over 100K yen, I feel pretty good about the deal I got.

The guitar I just bought is a near-mint condition ZSA-CFS (ES-335 dot) in cherry. I can't figure out the reason, but someone put it up as a "Buy it Now" for 52,000 yen, so I grabbed it. I got murdered on the fees and shipping, but it was still a pretty shocking deal.

I'm mystified. The new guitar appears unplayed, and it even has the factory strings on it, which are still fresh, but there is a slight amount of corrosion on some of the chrome stuff. It has "damage" on the back side, which is a scratch about the size of a human eyelash, and it also has a tiny rough place on the headstock edge. It's probably in better shape than 90% of the "new" guitars at Guitar Center. I don't understand why someone would buy an instrument this nice, refrain from playing it, and then sell it at a discount of over 50%.

well I paid 30,000 yen for my Cool-Z, they do not sell for the same prices other MIJs sell for, even the top ends I mean $600.00 for my BATT-20...Honduras body, Timeless Timber top, lacquer finish, Duncan p`ups and the original case that had the custom shop certificate. I only got the Cool-Z because it was so cheap...don`t get me wrong, still a great guitar for that price...but I prefer the Timeless Timber models, they are higher ends.
50,000 is ballpark for those guitars like the semi hollow, around here anyways, I`m not in a big city like Tokyo so fewer people looking and shop staff don`t always know what they have, I should have paid double for that BATT-20 so luck has played a huge role in the things I bought over the years here. Lots of folks in Japan are feeling the pinch right now, maybe the seller needed 50,000 in a hurry...don`t know, but local used gear places seem to be getting full in the area. Lots of junk but the occasional gem mixed in too.

I think the 335 copy was a better deal, although the brand-new ZLS was definitely a bargain.

Wish I could just walk into a shop and haggle, but when you live in the US, all you have is the Internet, and most of the Japanese electrics over here are beaters.

It sure beats paying three times the money for a Gibson with paint drips and a wavy neck.

Latest posts

Back