Super Real Limited Edition?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, you brought Slash up. It does look like that mid 80's Standard he played with a 3-piece top.

Been away a while ,but been keeping quite and keeping my finger on the pulse on everything going on!

Interesting these limited edition grecos with gibsun san pups,I have seen least four of them up on auction on YAHOO.JP,most probably the same exact guitar,numbered 50-9 ,that thing is like a freakin boomerang...anyways it up for auction on the bay..and it is listed as eg-59-150 my oh my! Have i missed something while i have been away?Anybody else seen it ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250684612456&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The guy brought it for 80k yen ...in july ...i would expect no reach anywhere near that figure here in the west..what do you guys reckon!!

MOJO HOBO

Hey! I wondered who got that guitar - it took a long time to sell and was listed for a few months, initially at higher prices. Good spot!

It needs to get to $1000 USD before the seller breaks even. I think it is going to be tough, but I'm often wrong about prices! :lol:

Still, that's a really good listing - plenty of pics, weight given, all damage shown and no silly bollocks stuff about it being the closest thing to a 59 burst you can get. :roll:

villager said:
obviously not a 59-150 though .. since they dont exist, and its a super real!!!
I saw that this morning aswell, wonder how they came to that model number?

Yeah JV it really is a very good auction listing,straight to point no lawsuit ******** ,meaningless text copied and pasted from other sites.
Nice clear detailed photos....but it aint no eg59-150 as mark said !
Can anyone make out what was written on the original case,I can make out a 5 and maybe followed by 9 ...mmh! 59 ,50,150 maybe this is where the seller might have got his mis-information from.

MOJO HOBO

I can't tell Mojo? I thought maybe it was 50/09 like on the inlay?

JVsearch said:
Hey! I wondered who got that guitar - it took a long time to sell and was listed for a few months, initially at higher prices. Good spot!

It needs to get to $1000 USD before the seller breaks even. I think it is going to be tough, but I'm often wrong about prices! :lol:

Still, that's a really good listing - plenty of pics, weight given, all damage shown and no silly bollocks stuff about it being the closest thing to a 59 burst you can get. :roll:

The Japanese are "so so" with that :D

villager said:

Ha ha, I didn't even look at the title of the auction! Could it have cost 150k originally though? Seems to me that it could have.

JVsearch said:
villager said:

Ha ha, I didn't even look at the title of the auction! Could it have cost 150k originally though? Seems to me that it could have.

I have seen one with tags and it was listed at 150k yen.

Koubayashi said:
JVsearch said:
villager said:

Ok then, so it was a pretty high end guitar and possibly in 150 class.
You, er, didn't think to mention this when I first posted the thread up - I might have bought it! :lol:

JVsearch said:
Koubayashi said:
JVsearch said:
villager said:

Ok then, so it was a pretty high end guitar and possibly in 150 class.
You, er, didn't think to mention this when I first posted the thread up - I might have bought it! :lol:

Congrats.

I have three of them and the T-tops are really good pickups.

villager said:
Yes not a mint collection anyway, but there is indeed some pre super real EG1500 projects.
EG1500_2_DSC1497.jpg

Also I can't remember where I've read this but theses 50 "Gibson P.U. Mounted" were indeed sold 150000 yens in Japan.

Oh dear ! That just sold on e-bay a couple of days ago and it is up again ...WTF :eek:
I getting some bad MOJO and KARMA from that guitar..... :evil:

VERY VERY STRANGE !!!!!!!!!!!

MOJO HOBO

I don't think there's any problem with that guitar and that the simple explanation is that someone in Japan bought it off the original Japanese seller thinking they could turn a decent profit on ebay selling it to a gaijin.

Problem is, virtually nobody outside Japan knows what they originally cost new, so the ebay auction did not get the price the seller wanted. Now it is back on Yahoo. Simple really, not bad mojo or karma. I could be wrong, but I don't think so - it usually takes me a few weeks at least to work out whether I want to keep a particular guitar, and I generally need several months to decide.

the owner paid too much for it, simple as that, at the time in japan gibson pickups were considered the very best, so for greco to put them in a limited edition model, was an example of the best of USA combined with a japanese builder, this was an attractive thing in japan at the time, but thesedays there is not the same attitude within the mij buyers community, and so the 3 piece top is not considered to be a good thing by many, that in itself devalues the original purchase price which was based on the limited edition with gibson usa pickups, so its a good example of how attitudes have changed with the view to most desirable specs. nothing to do with the sound of course, a 3 piece top can sound better than a 1 piece, heh which is also not acceptable!!

for the purists a 1 piece back, 2 piece maple cap, long tenon and nitro (i could go on and on and on heh) are the holy grail, but really none of these are that important with regards to the sound, a point I feel a lot of people forget sometimes;

villager said:
for the purists a 1 piece back, 2 piece maple cap, long tenon and nitro (i could go on and on and on heh) are the holy grail, but really none of these are that important with regards to the sound, a point I feel a lot of people forget sometimes;

that reminds of a post about an EGF1800 somewhere :roll:

By the way I totally agree with you. those same purists are now claiming that the only good MIJ are ObGs' and Burnys'.

Personally I've been lucky founding a nice Super Real Goldtop with 2 pieces back which sounds and plays much better than all the Burnys' I've had.

Latest posts

Back