Bacchus HMC Alnico III Pickups

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Im waiting on delivery of the Bacchus standard LP,anyone here can advise on this humbucker?
Would like to know how this humbucker sounds before the guitar arrives, would give me plenty of time to buy a new set of humbuckers if they are just mediocre.

130013s said:
Would like to know how this humbucker sounds before the guitar arrives, would give me plenty of time to buy a new set of humbuckers if they are just mediocre.

That really depends on you and what you are looking for in pickups (not to mention whatever amp and pedals you're using).

What in your mind defines mediocre? I wouldn't even think about buying replacement pickups on a guitar I haven't played yet. You might love them.

marcusnieman said:
130013s said:
.... I wouldn't even think about buying replacement pickups on a guitar I haven't played yet. You might love them.

+1 the Bacchus pickups are probably made by Keiyo who make some great pickups, whether they are to your taste or not you'll only find out by giving them a good try-out

Sorry to hijack your thread andyp81

Thanks guys for your replies but neither described the tone of this humbucker,how does it compares to something like Seymour Duncan Antiquity or similar?

By mediocre I meant middle of the road sound quality,I want this guitar to sound the best for me!
No doubt I will give the stock humbuckers a good try out and take it from there.

I just wanted someone with experience on this H/Bucker to share their knowledge

Thanks

Hi

I have seymour duncans in an ESP Edwards and HMC Pickups in a Bacchus Duke Standard. The pickups in the Bacchus are better than Edwards Pickups. The Seymour Duncan Pickups are brighter but the Bacchus Pickups are more mellow and rounded on clean and have more punch and are grittier on overdrive. A lot may be the wood in the guitar but I prefer the Bacchus pickups. I just dont have an information on them as far as I know HMC could be the Honda Motor Company.

Andy

andyp81 said:
Hi

I have seymour duncans in an ESP Edwards and HMC Pickups in a Bacchus Duke Standard. The pickups in the Bacchus are better than Edwards Pickups. The Seymour Duncan Pickups are brighter but the Bacchus Pickups are more mellow and rounded on clean and have more punch and are grittier on overdrive. A lot may be the wood in the guitar but I prefer the Bacchus pickups. I just dont have an information on them as far as I know HMC could be the Honda Motor Company.

Andy

Good description Andy
I have a set of cream Dimarzio Anniversary paf waiting to be installed and so far have resisted because(Lazy) Im quite happy with the HMC but the cream Dimarzio would look good in my Bacchus!
Will it sound as good as the HMC?....hmmmm
:roll:

If only pickups came with male crimp push on connectors attatched to the ends of the wires. Then you need an inch of wire soldered to the pot and another female crimp push on attatched to that. It would take about 2 mins to change pickups without messing around with a soldering iron everytime.

If you didnt want to use the push on connectors you could just cut them of and solder them on directly. I just dont like getting a super heated piece of metal next to my guitar body.

I could whinge for Africa about why manufaturers dont attatch connectors to there pickups instead of soldering them directly a couple of pence is all it would cost.

For me I want as few number of joins in the signal path as possible.

Also I don't trust crimped connections over time, although being inside the guitar and not subject to any movement/stress probably means they would be fine.

There's a Gibson something or other LP, that uses small connectors for the pickups and a circuit board in the control cavity. It wouldn't be too hard to add them to your own guitar either, but how many times are you going to change pickups?

When you hear pickup manufacturers go on about how the slightest little detailed change to the wire they use to wind the pickup can drastically affect the tone, can you really imagine that they (or the people who spend a fortune on boutique pickups) would allow something in the signal chain as crude as a crimped connection?

There would be pages and pages of stuff on internet forums about how guitars don't sound nearly as good with crimped connections as they did in the good old days when pickups were soldered in place.

Plus the slight problem that vibration could cause the crimped connections to work loose......

I was thinking about making a quick change connection from 2 pairs of male & female gold plated 2mm mini bullet connectors also use shrink wrap to protect the connector from shortening out,I know about these mini bullets from my radio controlled 3D helicopter build experience.

1 pair of these mini bullets could be soldered to a very short lead wire(1wire+,1wire-) then the other end soldered to the live and ground on the pot.
The other pair of mini bullets soldered to the humbucker lead wires(make sure you get the male & female right)

Imagine if you did this to all your electric guitar's,you then could swap your pickups form one guitar to another till your heart's content.
If you just bought a new pickup all you got to do is just solder 1 male and 1 female connetor then you're away!

When I get time this weekend i will do this simple mod

130013s said:
I was thinking about making a quick change connection from 2 pairs of male & female gold plated 2mm mini bullet connectors also use shrink wrap to protect the connector from shortening out,I know about these mini bullets from my radio controlled 3D helicopter build experience.

Sounds like you have a good way to do the mod. Let us know how it works out (with a picture as well).

130013s said:
1 pair of these mini bullets could be soldered to a very short lead wire then the other end soldered to the live and ground on the pot.
The other pair of mini bullets soldered to the humbucker lead wires(make sure you get the male & female right)

If you get the chance I would love to see a picture of your final solution. Let us know how it went.

Could not complete project due to my local hobby store were out of those 2mm mini bullets connectors but they are on order.

I will take photos of my little project and post here,It will probably be sometime next week,busy schedule this week and bank holiday weekend coming up.
There just not enough hours in a day when you're having fun!
:p

Latest posts

Back