Famous musicians who use tokai guitars?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MattThorpe said:
It has appeared on every track of every ZZ Top album to date, and sings with a ?God-like voice? unlike any other guitar."

Oh please! :roll:

Well, for a start, "Apologies To Pearly" definitely doesn't feature it, hence the title. It was recorded using something that was knocking around the studio (a Strat, I think) while they were waiting for their gear to arrive.

And that's just one track....

And wasn't Blue Jean Blues (ZZ's finest ever track) recorded using a Strat straight into the desk?

Haha! Yes sickly isn't it !
I've played the signature model. A friend has it - it's ok but my Tokai LS150 is so good in comparison !! The Pearly Gates cost 15 times as much!

MattThorpe said:
Haha! Yes sickly isn't it !
I've played the signature model. A friend has it - it's ok but my Tokai LS150 is so good in comparison !!

My LS70 (or whatever it is) has Pearly Gates pickups - that's close enough for me. Not that I ever sound even vaguely like The Rev., but they're great pickups.

I think Norman Watt-Roy used to use a Tokai Jazz bass.
I also read in an old interview that one of the Blockhead's guitarists used to use a Tokai strat that had a Fender decal on it.

stratman323 said:
SRV? I remain to be convinced. I believe he held a Springy once for a photo, but I'm not convinced the connection goes any deeper than that.

SRV posed for the 85-86 Tokai Catalogue and rumours says that he is holding a Tokai Strat n the cover of his first LP "Texas Flood" but they retouched the photo so it wasn?t possible to see the logo...
But I know for a fact that when he played in Lund, he had 4 Tokai Strats backstage for backup (some black and sunburst ones...) But he never used them onstage. I know because I asked a friend who fixed the monitor sound that night and imported Tokai guitars to Sweden, about just that... as I had one I thought it would be cool...

And if I remember it correctly Nile Rodgers from that Discogroup Chic was a Tokai user too.

tokai_85-86_electric_front.jpg

I know of a few in Australia, but most may not be known to overseas readers.

Tim Farriss, INXS
Harvey James, Sherbert
Clive Shakespeare, Sherbert
Bob Spencer, Skyhooks, The Angels, Raw Brit
Billy Thorpe RIP, Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs
Lobby Loyde RIP, Lobby Loyde and the Coloured Balls
Dave Leslie, Baby Animals

There are quite a few more. Of the above list, my understanding is that Tim Farriss was the only officially endorsed Tokai player. All the others bought and own their own Tokai.

The only "endorsed" player to get a free Tokai in Australia over the last 5 years works in a shop in SE Qld. Unfortunately, I am still waiting for some sort of recognition. Even a thank you phone call or email would have been nice.

Sadly, he spoiled it for any other worthy applicant for support in the future.

messer said:
Old Red is a great finish. I've only seen one used. Are they so rare?

I think so, it features first in the 1982 catalog and I think it's gone again in 1984. Only seen 1 on Rinkya last year and I believe zepping has one.
Togps had reissues made last year.

I'd love an LS92 in the ES135 Red...that would look amazing.
Or an LS92 in Lemon Drop.

Love Rock with Old Red top, and Black back is my dream :roll:
But that's probably never going to happen :cry: Someone seen Tokai with such finish?

messer said:
Love Rock with Old Red top, and Black back is my dream :roll:
But that's probably never going to happen :cry: Someone seen Tokai with such finish?

Custom shop order? Or do it yourself..

kennzo5150 said:
wow ! i didn't know joe walsh ever played a tokai cool !

http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/Andrew%20Munro%20Article-July2008.pdf

Latest posts

Back