Tokai LS150 or Edwards JP Super Circuit

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portage_60

Reaction score
so after working a **** load of over time and mowing a crap load of acres (i live out in the country) and am trying to decide which one of these is closest to a 59 LP or if anyone else knows of a model that is close

I've got both, or rather the Edwards and what used to be an LS-150 (now LS-195?). Anyways, both wonderful guitars. The Edwards is super light, around 7.3 lbs. The Tokai is much heavier (dunno what weight) but is more 'traditional'- two PAF-style humbuckers (which personally I don't like in a LP), solid top, 1-piece back, etc. I believe it's more like a '58 as opposed to a '59, but those who know more will chime in I'm sure. Anyways, since I got it used, for the money the Tokai is a far superior guitar in terms of build and 'old-time- specs. Nowadays, they're much pricier. Kind of funny - a few years ago I was asking the SAME question as you. I opted for the LS-150, granted I found one used in great condition for less than a new Eddie. On my last trip to Tokyo, I picked up the Edwards. I'd probably buy the LS-150 again but probably not the Edwards.

Pros and Cons?

LS-150 Edwards
heavy light
2-PAF tons of options with push-pull
solid top veneer
new reliced so not so worried about a little bump
lacquer lacquer top coat
$$ $

Good luck with the decision

Jason

they funny things is, now they both cost right around the same. Maybe ill just save up a bit more and get both

I too have both. For all the reasons mentioned above, the Edwards is really a great guitar... versatile, light, great sounding, impeccable attention to detail and the big bonus, feather weight. The push pull pots also give it a dynamic range you won't find on the LS150.... or any standard Les Paul for that matter. Pretty guitar too:

CIMG0346-1.jpg

The LS150 (Now LS160 according to the current catalog) is probably the equivalent to a Gibson R8 and personally, one of the best Les Pauls I've played. While it is heavier, it's not terrible by Gibson standards at about 9 lbs. I enjoy the MKII pickups they come with ... warm but not muddy, with plenty of snarl to them. Also a pretty guitar.... I'm also a push over for a nice plaintop:

020.jpg

i dont mind the weight at all i used to play a Gibson Les Paul Pro Deluxe and that beast was well over 10lbs but it had such a tone to it! and sustain for days

Latest posts

Back