Ebay alert

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prudd

Reaction score
I suspect a lot of you have already seen this one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280547118415&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The guy is insisting this is a Japanese guitar, looks Korean to me.
He states that any "idiot" can come on this "fan site" and express their opinion "as if it were fact"
Any "idiots" among you want to comment on where this guitar was made! :D

Q: Hi, could you please tell me if the guitar has made in japan in black ink printed on the back of the neck, and also the the serial number, thanks, Paul
A: Hi the serial number on the back of headstock is FC0600740, more photos to follow today

Check the serialnumber,its chinese. :wink:

Volker

I just sent him the following PM - let's see if he posts it in the advert....

Hi, a 3 screw truss rod cover, a serial number beginning with FC, and no MADE IN JAPAN on the back of the headstock means that it's definitely made in China. If you don't believe me, check with Tokai UK, or with Richtone, the UK's leading Tokai dealer. If you bought that guitar as Japanese, you have been conned. Maybe if you had checked with the "idiots" on the Tokai forum before you bought it, you would have learned how to tell Chinese from Japanese guitars. If you deliberately claim it to be Japanese when you know it isn't, you are conning people as badly as you seem to have been conned when you bought it. Is that fair?

I suspect he won't!

settebello said:
Q: Hi, could you please tell me if the guitar has made in japan in black ink printed on the back of the neck, and also the the serial number, thanks, Paul
A: Hi the serial number on the back of headstock is FC0600740, more photos to follow today

Check the serialnumber,its chinese. :wink:

Volker

I sent that question to him, knowing it wasnt Japanese, I thought it would good for prospective bidders to see that his made in Japan claim was in doubt. Other questions followed, but he is still maintains its Japanese.

Seller's reply to me:

Firstly the sites you refer to are not "official", secondly anyone can type infomation onto this website (idiots included) and it is displayed as gospel (please note I'm not saying everyone who types onto it is a idiot)! Thirdly the "three screws" on headstock rod adjustment argument is so silly I am at pains to understand how you could believe it? Do you seriously believe Tokia make only "two screw" rod adjustment covers exclusively for their japanese models?

I gave him the Tokai UK website address so he can ask Bob. But maybe he considers Bob to be as much of an idiot as we all are?

:roll:

Chinese made guitar, absolutely no doubt about that. I mean, if it isn't a Chinese Tokai then it must be a fake... :lol:

New price is what, about 300 quid? It's getting close to a reasonable used price already - these LPs are plentiful and have nothing special about them by way of wood or parts.

i tried to explain it to him as well .......

but just got a very shirty response ......

i'm glad he got conned.....he deserves it !!!

we'll see how much it goes for .....

but i have a feeling it will mysteriosly dissapear before bidding ends :D

I bought it new from a guy who is in europes leading thin lizzy tribute act, who asured me it had had its frets shaved

So he bought it new from a guy in a band? :lol:

Sadly I have hardly had the chance to ever play this guitar due to having a hyper active young daughter, therefore the guitar has remained boxed at all times so shes not been able to destroy it yet!

This guitar is Japanese! No one who has ever touched it has thought otherwise!

So he bought a new guitar, it has been boxed ever since and all the people that have touched the guitar think it's Japanese, this is amazing :lol: :lol: :lol:

and still there's people bidding

On 12-Aug-10 at 22:13:56 BST, seller added the following information:

I have had a couple of people email me and say that they have been on the "Tokai Registry website" and that this guitar is a korean guitar. The Tokai Registry is NOT an offical site of tokai nor is it endorsed by Tokai in any way! It's a fan site where any idiot can express opinion as if it were fact. As far as I am aware guitars made in Korea have no serial number on them whatsoever, the Japanese models are of a far superior quality I have played on korean/chinese tokai's and they are not the same as this, in terms of body weight a japanese tokia will weigh more than a modern gibson les paul, they weigh the same as a proper high quality 1950s gibson giving the guitar the distinctive note sustain, if you could compare this guitar to a chinese/korean model you would see the the build quality of this tokai is first class and in a different league than its cheaper siblings! Please note Tokai do not have any official information regarding the classification of their older electric guitars particularly during and and shortly after the "lawsuit era" they got very muddled regarding numbering systems. This guitar is Japanese! No one who has ever touched it has thought otherwise! Also many of the older japanese tokais were actually assembled in china due to cheaper labour!

'anyone can type infomation onto this website (idiots included)'

:roll:

JohnA said:
On 12-Aug-10 at 22:13:56 BST, seller added the following information:

This guitar is Japanese! No one who has ever touched it has thought otherwise! Also many of the older japanese tokais were actually assembled in china due to cheaper labour!

Somehow that argument seems to be short of something logical or factual to me. Then again I'm sure there are folks out there in ebayland who are delighted to read that load of old cobblers and rush to buy with confidence :-?

Oh Dear - i really hope the person(s) bidding on this know what they are in to. This is pretty bad. I mean - most of the time it's honest mistakes - but this chap is rather belligerent isn't he?! :roll:

guitarslinger said:
Oh my god just read - he paid over ?800?! for it?? If that's the truth, then there has been some MAJOR ripping off done previous.

Well, you're assuming that's true...... I don't trust anything this guy says.

With regard to the buyers, they don't really have any excuse. Even though matey boy refuses to correct his thoroughly misleading advert, the signs that it's Chinese are clearly there in the ad - FC serial number & 3 hole TRC. So if anyone buys it expecting it to be Japanese, they also should have done some simple research first.

Like asking the idiots on here.... :roll:

I suppose one of us could buy it, then refuse to pay as it's substantially not as described?

Just saying....

Latest from the seller:

Ebay have just gave us a courtesy call, and told us there is nohing wrong with the listing not only that the man (guitar expert)whom I spoke to apparently knows alot more than you or I saying the FCs are known for being excellent very rare guitars and very sought after, apparently there has not been one on ebay for a while! So it appears yet again I am right and you are wrong! I suggest you go back and check the tokia registry, (you know the fan site)go too the id and dating section, and have a look at the guitar again! And tell all your sad little pals to do that as well, also tell them I'm considering selling it elsewhere! Because I would not want one of you getting your grubby little hands on it! Thats if your little gang really does exist and it's not just you!

eBay phoned him? That alone tells me it's a lie!

Yes they did give me a call, I am using my girlfriends account as I don't have one and they saw that I had left my name Patrick at the end of messages, this is obviously not her name that is registered on the account and also she never sells guitars so they wanted to check, they spoke with her and myself! I am not lying! And actually she has been phoned by ebay before (customer support) it is not unsual for ebay to phone you, they do have your number!!!

I take it you or someone else on here has reported this item to ebay?? you must have done as you have taken great lengths to slander me over the internet. Ok so why have ebay not removed the listing????!!! The american guy from ebay who I spoke to said there was nothing wrong with this listing he also said he has not see one like this on ebay for a while it is a rarer serial number, he said my listing was honest and to the point I have not tried to decive anyone.

guitarexpert said:
you must have done as you have taken great lengths to slander me over the internet.

Slander is spoken, libel is written. I wrote. So if you think anything I have said is libellous, sue me. To prove it's libellous, you'll first have to prove that what I said was wrong. So why don't you start that now and tell us all what proof you have that it's Japanese. We'd all love to hear.

Since the UK's biggest Tokai retailer has contributed to this thread and confirmed it's Chinese, that would be sufficient proof for most people. Or is this retailer less of an expert than your friend who you refuse to identify?

This is pathetic! :lol:

Latest posts

Back