Trying to Date / Identify My New (Old) Burny

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Udonitron said:
Thus WHY are we still in here talking about this silly crap then LMAO!?

1. Because there's lots of people who want to date their guitar for the sake of just knowing what they are having
2. Production date may be related to quality of the workmanship or wood of a certain period
3. Production date is related to the value of a guitar

So if you're buying or selling it's not silly at all but very important..

NWOBHM said:
Your right after 92' they don't don't even feature burny's in the catalogs. The RLG-70 isn't in the 97' catalog, just like it isn't in the 87' catalog but, is in the 90', right? :D In fact tons of Burny's I've seen are never in catalogs. The only RLC-75 I've seen is in the 91' catalog but, no artist model. So, you can have the last word below :wink:

My split diamond 'mid 80s' 3 pup Burny is a RLC65. Why would another 3 pup Burny made one or 2 years later be a RLC75?
Because it wasn't made 1 or 2 years later but after 1990/1991 when Burny raised their prices for 2 consequetive years?

But the final answer could be found in the caps.
Le juge, can you show pics of he caps of your RLC-75?

jacco said:
Udonitron said:

1. Because there's lots of people who want to date their guitar for the sake of just knowing what they are having
2. Production date may be related to quality of the workmanship or wood of a certain period

Oh for sure however if dates are truly not known other than our own speculation, then how does it prove anything valid? Wood is easily identified without knowing the date or model.

Udonitron said:
jacco said:
Udonitron said:

Oh for sure however if dates are truly not known other than our own speculation, then how does it prove anything valid? Wood is easily identified without knowing the date or model.

But that's the point; we are the ones owning/having owned these guitars. If we can join hands in gathering specs & details we will be able to date guitars with a lot more certainty than we do now.
Koubayashi has shown us some serious quality issues on certain Burny models; poor workmanship and woods we didn't expect being used.
Regarding woods; we all seem to find it hard to identify brazilian rosewood. Further; what I have found is that pre 1982 Burnys have more mojo than 90s Burnys. Different wood quality?

Udonitron said:
jacco said:
Udonitron said:

Yes, and Fernandes made guitars in different factories, so the craftmanship was different. I choose some Burnys for their sound and playability, not to make money on these.
Surely the quality is different between the early 80's models and the late 80's models, but there are still some great models which are well crafted.
It's the same with Greco and the "mint collection", after 1986/87, the quality is not the same.

hi
here is my burny gutars caps

sg angus young model grey pio caps
sg early 80 with serial on the head small yellow cap
sg early 80 w?th out serial small red cap
late sg with vh 1 pickups small white cap
sg 69 model from 86 small red cap
late sg vh 1 pickups small red cap
lp jr with rocknrolling on the head small white cap
early lp jr black pio
late lp jr singel cut rocknrolling on the head red cap
and 2 x firebird both with serial in the pickup cavity 90 model
small red cap
rlg 50 from 82-84 small green cap
flg 90 from 1980 black pio

hope this help :D :D :D
all the best
otto

Thanks Otto!
If there's enough interest i am willing to take it on me to build a database with pics & specs..

hi
sound like a good plan :D :D would be nice to find a way to id ?burny for sure
all the best
otto

jacco said:
Thanks Otto!
If there's enough interest i am willing to take it on me to build a database with pics & specs..

That would be so cool, (and a bit of a pain in the *** for you) to be able to have a reference site/table to go and compare to...

Nice info, Otto! :D My 81' FLG90 has sheilded cavities and black PIO caps. My Early 80'S RLG-90 and RSG-75 AY, both have the sheilded cavities and grey PIO caps. All my other 80's Burny's, have the green polyester caps except, My 94' RLG-70, which has yellow caps, a thicker neck than all my 80's Burny's, a harder/thicker poly finish. I dropped it off the bed and it didn't even dent! Another thing it has, which is typical of alot of 90's guitars in general is the tailpiece studs are zinc instead of steel, where all my 80's Burny's have steel tailpiece studs. Same thing with the Bushings for the TP, instead of being steel like most older guitars in general, it has zinc bushings. Which I tend to see alot more of in later guitars from the 90's.

hi
my flg 90 and ay sg also got black paint in the control cavity ,,,,
and i forgot i also got a rlg 70 :D :D it has small yellow caps
all the best
otto

muccax said:
hi
my flg 90 and ay sg also got black paint in the control cavity ,,,,
and i forgot i also got a rlg 70 :D :D it has small yellow caps
all the best
otto
I should add, all my Burny's now have bumblebees or NOS PIO caps! :wink:

muccax said:
h
rlg 50 from 82-84 small green cap

hope this help :D :D :D
all the best
otto

Yeah my early 80's Burny had the green chicklets as well. Changed out the pups, wiring, and caps however but I kept them all.

NWOBHM said:
Nice info, Otto! :D My 81' FLG90 has sheilded cavities and black PIO caps. My Early 80'S RLG-90 and RSG-75 AY, both have the sheilded cavities and grey PIO caps. All my other 80's Burny's, have the green polyester caps except, My 94' RLG-70, which has yellow caps, a thicker neck than all my 80's Burny's, a harder/thicker poly finish. I dropped it off the bed and it didn't even dent! Another thing it has, which is typical of alot of 90's guitars in general is the tailpiece studs are zinc instead of steel, where all my 80's Burny's have steel tailpiece studs. Same thing with the Bushings for the TP, instead of being steel like most older guitars in general, it has zinc bushings. Which I tend to see alot more of in later guitars from the 90's.

Same, my 83 or so Burny has the shielded control cavities as well

Udonitron said:
Beautiful Charlie...that info is worth its weight in gold. Some REAL substantial proof for sure. Can you post pics?

Let me clarify what I said a bit... I have best guessed this to be 86 or 87 based on past and ongoing research. My guitar doesn't have the RR pickguard though. May someone can read what is there and get a date ro something.

Manual_1
Manual_2
Manual_3
Guitar_1

Was going to post the images right the thread, but it kind of blows it all out of skew. Hope this info helps solve the mystery, but I suspect not. <g>

Nice case. Is that a Tokai case? The only thing that I could see, that looked like a date, was in manual_3 pic. There's an '02 written underneath where it reads Serial number?

Picture Manual_2 says 6th of May 2002 for sure.
The Japanese signs are from left to right year, month, and day.
Did you buy it then?

Latest posts

Back