Plaintop LS150 vs. Flametop/Sunburst UK LS150

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one of these.

The back is apparently made of 1 piece which is a good clue. The fret are over the binding too.

Not sure about a 370 but this is at least a 150.

See my LS150 below:

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

I'd tell you it's an excellent guitar but that would not do it justice. If you buy this one you need to put it back to original condition...get those klusons back on!

Diamond said:
Krank said:
guitarslinger said:
Assuming this is the "LS150" spec guitar we'd stock, then the Pick Ups are after-market. They come on the LS370, which is rocketing up the range somewhat. Top sound's correct. An entirely plausible situation....

If you would like forum members to help ID the guitar to make sure you get what you are asking for - a couple of pics posted on here for verification before you buy will ease and re-assure you no end i'm sure.

Pics here: http://s509.photobucket.com/albums/s338/Krank77/Tokai%20LS-150/

Strange description by the seller.

Knobs have been changed.
Pickup switch tip changed.
He says it's honduras mahogany but it's not...unless it's an LS370.
Not the original Tokai case.
The top looks even better than a AAA...looks like a 4 or 5A.

Is it an LS370 that the seller thinks is an LS150...I doubt it? :D

Possible LS-135F/140F with some changed parts?

JVsearch said:
Diamond said:
Krank said:
guitarslinger said:
Assuming this is the "LS150" spec guitar we'd stock, then the Pick Ups are after-market. They come on the LS370, which is rocketing up the range somewhat. Top sound's correct. An entirely plausible situation....

If you would like forum members to help ID the guitar to make sure you get what you are asking for - a couple of pics posted on here for verification before you buy will ease and re-assure you no end i'm sure.

Knobs have been changed.

The seller tells me only the tuners are changed. Is there a way to clear up for certain what model it is? Serial number, anything...?

Krank said:
JVsearch said:
Diamond said:
Krank said:
guitarslinger said:

Knobs have been changed.

The seller tells me only the tuners are changed. Is there a way to clear up for certain what model it is? Serial number, anything...?

Im not too sure what advice to give you, the seller seems a bit confused.
More than the tuners have been changed, that's for sure.

I'm entertaining the possibility of advising you to look for another guitar. :D

JVsearch said:
Diamond said:
Krank said:
guitarslinger said:

Knobs have been changed.

It's possible, but that's one hell of a good maple top for an LS135F.

Diamond said:

LS135F/LS140F has a veneer top and that looks like solid maple top to me. A veneer top looks like this: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_sUtI0eMSMBE/S6NmgHiTzZI/AAAAAAAAFjY/Eb2bexKVVng/IMG_4640.jpg

A photo from for example neck pickup cavity could help?

karppi said:
Diamond said:

LS135F/LS140F has a veneer top and that looks like solid maple top to me. A veneer top looks like this: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_sUtI0eMSMBE/S6NmgHiTzZI/AAAAAAAAFjY/Eb2bexKVVng/IMG_4640.jpg

A photo from for example neck pickup cavity could help?

That doesn't help much as the LS-140F in my Tokai catalogue looks very like the one in question here. Besides, why would all veneer tops look like that? Pickup cavity shots would be good but I'm guessing the buyer isn't in a position to get those pics?

Then again, this one looks very similar to Looktoyourorb's LS-150 which is a UK one?

Do the high end LS guitars have the headstock made from 3 pieces of wood? I had a feeling that the neck and headstock would be all one piece of wood on the 470/540 types whereas the 150 has the edges of the headstock made with small bits of wood glued on. It makes no real difference to the guitar but the one piece headstock could be a sign of higher models?

karppi said:
A veneer top looks like this

Now now, that's just silly. A veneer top looks like whatever the wood that makes the veneer looks like - it's impossible to categorise neatly.

AlanN said:
karppi said:
A veneer top looks like this

Now now, that's just silly. A veneer top looks like whatever the wood that makes the veneer looks like - it's impossible to categorise neatly.

Of course. I shouldn't write anything to tokai forum before the first cup of coffee and maybe thinking for a while :) Thanks Alan and JVsearch for correcting my brainfart.

Here's a couple of shots of the neck pickup cavity:

DSC01779.jpg

DSC01776.jpg

Does this help with identification? Turns out this pickup isn't a Seth Lover after all, but a '59 (they probably both are). Colour me confused!

Experts...is this a medium or deep tenon?

This will determine whether it's a 150 or not.

+1 for medium tenon

Long tenons extend to the middle of the pickup cavity (roughly).

I would like to see a clear picture of the back of the guitar, it looks like it's made of 1 piece but as Tokai guys are very good at matching I can't be sure.

A side view of the PU cavity would be good too to see if it is a solid maple cap or a veneer top.

If it's a medium tenon then it can only be an LS85/98F...because the LS125/135/140F have a deep joint.

If that's the case then the seller is pulling a con.

looktoyourorb said:
+1 for medium tenon

I think we better refer to this tenon as a long tenon (that isn't quite as long as some other long tenons).
The medium tenon does not extend into the pickup cavity at all, and the short tenon doesn't even appear at the front edge of the pickup cavity (Gibson USA).

So this is a long tenon, and this guitar is at least in the LS-135F/150 class.

Diamond said:
If it's a medium tenon then it can only be an LS85/98F...because the LS125/135/140F have a deep joint.

If that's the case then the seller is pulling a con.

That is an LS-150/135F tenon.

The only possible con is whether it has a veneer top or not, and that's not really a bad con. Still, a person needs to know about the specs before they can offer a price.

Options:
1. LS-135/140F
2. LS-150/160 with very flamey top (usually only seen on the UK models?)
3. LS-250/260 with better than usual top
4. Even higher model LS, but the fret board looks like pretty normal rosewood for LS-135/140F/150/160/250/260

This is how I see it, but if I'm wrong please jump in and slam me down...

JVsearch said:
I think we better refer to this tenon as a long tenon (that isn't quite as long as some other long tenons).
The medium tenon does not extend into the pickup cavity at all, and the short tenon doesn't even appear at the front edge of the pickup cavity (Gibson USA).

+1

JVsearch said:
looktoyourorb said:
+1 for medium tenon

So this is a long tenon, and this guitar is at least in the LS-135F/150 class.

Here's a photo of an LS90/105Q tenon, someone posted it here, can't remember who...medium neck tenon.

The way I understand it a short tenon (Gibson) doesn't extend into the pickup cavity at all, a medium does...and a long extends even further by about 5mm.

mediumtenonoftokais.jpg

And a Les Paul Studio.

studioneckcavityupclose.jpg

Latest posts

Back