Is this a good deal? Tokai TA-35 for around 150$

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish the exchange rate was that good :)

It's very very heavy for such a small amp - I think 12kg at least so shipping is very expensive.

My bad, according to today's rate its 167.50USD.
I live in Japan so the shipping cost is about 10$. It is supposed to weigh 7.5kg, BTW.

That is a decent price for one of those amps; I've seen people asking $400 for them on Yahoo, but of course they don't sell.

As long as you have something decent (preferably valve) to use as a main amp, then this amp could be a useful practice amp type thing. Or, get it for the collection aspect!

Minoupark said:
My bad, according to today's rate its 167.50USD.
I live in Japan so the shipping cost is about 10$. It is supposed to weigh 7.5kg, BTW.

Although it's not a tube amp, I like mine a lot and it's definitely worth that much if not more. I guess it does weight 7.5kg, it only feels like 12!

JVsearch said:
That is a decent price for one of those amps; I've seen people asking $400 for them on Yahoo, but of course they don't sell.

As long as you have something decent (preferably valve) to use as a main amp, then this amp could be a useful practice amp type thing. Or, get it for the collection aspect!

I have one and despite being transistor it sounds great and is loud enough to get over a drummer and bass player in a gigging situation. It's definitely useful as more than just a practice amp.

As mentioned shipping to Europe/US is expensive, but if you are in Tokyo then you have no such problems and $160 is a great price. Go for it!

Just got the amp today. Paid a bit less than the initial price.

For the size, it is one loud mofo. Very nice clean sound too. 8)

A couple of images of my newly required amp

4854425487_f93ba797c6.jpg

4854425611_a302bbfa15.jpg

While the clean sound is pretty good, the distorted sound is not too great. Any suggestions for a distortion/overdrive to complement this amp?

Thanks!!

Little solid state amps don't overdrive like their tube powered cousins. Depends on how much crunch you want but an Ibanez Tube Screamer (TS9 or reissue TS808) is a good start. Check them out at the guitar shop before you buy.... you might find something you like better. Take your amp in with you.

Good call Marcus, I use a tubescreamer with my TA-35 and it sounds great, the little speaker struggles a bit with distorted chord work though :D

Latest posts

Back