Orville Plaintop with nitro

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your missing my point, ObG with fret binding were not made after 1995, if this has evidence of fret binding, as you say, and a nitro finish, as you say you have already tested for, then it points to it originally being destined to be an ObG..... probably..... as no orvilles have ever been seen with fret binding to my knowledge, this supports the theory, and therefore the mention of ObG is surely relevent to the post isn't it?

why do you need a uv light? i thought you had alredy tested it!

villager said:
your missing my point, ObG with fret binding were not made after 1995, if this has evidence of fret binding, as you say, and a nitro finish, as you say you have already tested for, then it points to it originally being destined to be an ObG..... probably..... as no orvilles have ever been seen with fret binding to my knowledge, this supports the theory, and therefore the mention of ObG is surely relevent to the post isn't it?

why do you need a uv light? i thought you had alredy tested it!

UV for checking the finish and look for seems (not for nitro but for signs of refin).

Since it has one piece body and nitro it most surely was to become an ObG.

But why the duce does it say Orville on the head :D

A factory leftover? Made for another brand but branded Orville by mistake? Perhaps it was supposed to become an Epiphone Elitist?

Koubayashi said:
villager said:

Why do you need a uv light? i thought you had alredy tested it!

UV for checking the finish and look for seems (not for nitro but for signs of refin).

A factory leftover? Made for another brand but branded Orville by mistake? Perhaps it was supposed to become an Epiphone Elitist?

we can only be more certain that it was originally intended to be an ObG/leftover if we get the serial right. So that's worth another try.

Please explain how do you check the finish for a refin with UV light?

jacco said:
Koubayashi said:
villager said:

Why do you need a uv light? i thought you had alredy tested it!

we can only be more certain that it was originally intended to be an ObG/leftover if we get the serial right. So that's worth another try.

Please explain how do you check the finish for a refin with UV light?

Just looking for marks in the woods. Also good for checking neck repairs.

Is it impossible that it was supposed to become an Epiphone Elitist?

i think elitists were a fair bit later, orvilles i have seen as late as 97 but i am not sure when the elitists started, the original epiphones were orvilles through and through, they just changed the name, but they were poly, i think the elitists started in 99, and were in nitro, but theres a 2 year gap..

villager said:
i think elitists were a fair bit later, orvilles i have seen as late as 97 but i am not sure when the elitists started, the original epiphones were orvilles through and through, they just changed the name, but they were poly, i think the elitists started in 99, and were in nitro, but theres a 2 year gap..

So the Elitist is excluded from the list of "prime suspects" then.

Then the only plausible explanations left are: A, a body that was supposed to become an ObG but ended up as an Orville or B, the body and the neck were left way back in the stock and came out to daylight after some time.

I will upload a pic of the serial number a.s.a.p so we can progress.

Seems most plausible.

Mounted pickups and pots last night. Will be interesting to see if it sings as good as the wood promises.

Udonitron said:
What about pics Koub!? You always say you are going post pics and then forget LOL

I am lazy to upload on botophucket.

http://s754.photobucket.com/albums/xx187/gaijinguitars/Orville%20LP%20Std/

P1070374.jpg

Koubayashi said:
I checked the serial carefully

It starts with either a 3, 5, 6 or 8.

I can't decide if it's a 3 or 8 or a 5 or 6.

There are good arguments for every number :D

P1070382.jpg

Well it isn't a 3 or 5, just compare with the 3 and 5 in the serial. So 6 or 8.
But now compare with a serial from a 1996 Orville:

http://imageevent.com/chingo123/july2010/orvillelpstsb5315?p=22&b=-1&m=-1&c=4&w=4&s=1&n=1&l=0&z=9

The upper part of the 6 is flat, not rounded like yours, so it's most likely to be an 8. My conclusion is that it's also not likely to be a leftover ObG body in 1998. Wouldn't that be used earlier?

Whatever it is, I got new guitars yesterday that needs my attention.
This axe is old news now :D

Back