Orville Plaintop with nitro

Discussion area for Orville and Orville by Gibson guitars

Moderator: ned

muccax
Guitar God
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:15 am
Location: denmark

Post by muccax » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:17 am

hi
i got a obg exploere a korina model with gold hardware ,,,, some time ago and like it a lot ,,,, so i got a orville exploere korina with nickel hardware last week .... and to my big surprice the obg is a 3 piece body and the orville is a 2 piece body :o :o :o
the obg is from 92 and the orville is from 95 ....
all the best
otto

villager
Guitar God
Posts: 3680
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere.. France.
Contact:

Post by villager » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:27 am

Koubayashi wrote:I checked the serial carefully

It starts with either a 3, 5, 6 or 8.

I can't decide if it's a 3 or 8 or a 5 or 6.

There are good arguments for every number :D

The serial number looks a bit smeared which could be the result of a refin but I can't see any other signs of a refin. And I have seen smeared serial numbers on tonnes of Japanese Lesters.


And what is up with the one piece body???
Btw, no FEB after 95? We both know that the Japanese makers were seriously inconsistant so I don't take that as a truth:wink:

Which leads to another question: are all ObG supposed to be finished in nitro? I have read that they should but I have had both reissues and "Standards" which were finished in poly.

no ObG made after 1995 at all, and no orvilles ever confirmed with fret binding.. so therefore no FeB after 95 take it as you wish..

Koubayashi
Guitar God
Posts: 1544
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:08 am
Location: Tokyo

Post by Koubayashi » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:05 am

I trust Japanese inconsistency more than anything else :wink:

I have seen too many things that go against the catalogue specs to know that there is never any thruth about Japanese Lesters.

Poly finish on EGF850 and EGF1200. Indian RW on EGF1200 (and braz board on 850).
^&*( wood and plywood in Burny/Fernandes etc etc.

As soon as I polished this Orville and changed the pots to proper ones I will take a bunch of pics. It might be a refin but it still has one piece body (and neck). Celluloid inlays I discovered today.

villager
Guitar God
Posts: 3680
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere.. France.
Contact:

Post by villager » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:56 am

talking about ObG and orvilles here,


show me an ObG with a 6xxxx serial number, or an orville with fret binding, and then I will believe it, until then I stick with my statement above.

Koubayashi
Guitar God
Posts: 1544
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:08 am
Location: Tokyo

Post by Koubayashi » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:23 pm

villager wrote:talking about ObG and orvilles here,


show me an ObG with a 6xxxx serial number, or an orville with fret binding, and then I will believe it, until then I stick with my statement above.
This is not an ObG. This is an Orville.

Whatever this Orville is, it still has nitro, one piece body and neck + leftovers from FEB.

I want to check the finish with UV-light but I don't have any right now. Will buy it a.s.a.p

Basically, mostly, its all about speculation on this forum. And when some info has been stipulated by certain members it becomes the general truth.

The specs on this Orville have nothing to do with ObG (since it is not an ObG). Whatever it is, its unusual.

villager
Guitar God
Posts: 3680
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere.. France.
Contact:

Post by villager » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:36 pm

your missing my point, ObG with fret binding were not made after 1995, if this has evidence of fret binding, as you say, and a nitro finish, as you say you have already tested for, then it points to it originally being destined to be an ObG..... probably..... as no orvilles have ever been seen with fret binding to my knowledge, this supports the theory, and therefore the mention of ObG is surely relevent to the post isn't it?

why do you need a uv light? i thought you had alredy tested it!

Koubayashi
Guitar God
Posts: 1544
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:08 am
Location: Tokyo

Post by Koubayashi » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:48 pm

villager wrote:your missing my point, ObG with fret binding were not made after 1995, if this has evidence of fret binding, as you say, and a nitro finish, as you say you have already tested for, then it points to it originally being destined to be an ObG..... probably..... as no orvilles have ever been seen with fret binding to my knowledge, this supports the theory, and therefore the mention of ObG is surely relevent to the post isn't it?

why do you need a uv light? i thought you had alredy tested it!
UV for checking the finish and look for seems (not for nitro but for signs of refin).

Since it has one piece body and nitro it most surely was to become an ObG.

But why the duce does it say Orville on the head :D

A factory leftover? Made for another brand but branded Orville by mistake? Perhaps it was supposed to become an Epiphone Elitist?

jacco
Guitar God
Posts: 2871
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:51 am
Location: Netherlands

Post by jacco » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:02 pm

Koubayashi wrote:
villager wrote:your missing my point, ObG with fret binding were not made after 1995, if this has evidence of fret binding, as you say, and a nitro finish, as you say you have already tested for, then it points to it originally being destined to be an ObG..... probably..... as no orvilles have ever been seen with fret binding to my knowledge, this supports the theory, and therefore the mention of ObG is surely relevent to the post isn't it?

Why do you need a uv light? i thought you had alredy tested it!
UV for checking the finish and look for seems (not for nitro but for signs of refin).

Since it has one piece body and nitro it most surely was to become an ObG.

But why the duce does it say Orville on the head :D

A factory leftover? Made for another brand but branded Orville by mistake? Perhaps it was supposed to become an Epiphone Elitist?
we can only be more certain that it was originally intended to be an ObG/leftover if we get the serial right. So that's worth another try.

Please explain how do you check the finish for a refin with UV light?

Koubayashi
Guitar God
Posts: 1544
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:08 am
Location: Tokyo

Post by Koubayashi » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:31 pm

jacco wrote:
Koubayashi wrote:
villager wrote:your missing my point, ObG with fret binding were not made after 1995, if this has evidence of fret binding, as you say, and a nitro finish, as you say you have already tested for, then it points to it originally being destined to be an ObG..... probably..... as no orvilles have ever been seen with fret binding to my knowledge, this supports the theory, and therefore the mention of ObG is surely relevent to the post isn't it?

Why do you need a uv light? i thought you had alredy tested it!
UV for checking the finish and look for seems (not for nitro but for signs of refin).

Since it has one piece body and nitro it most surely was to become an ObG.

But why the duce does it say Orville on the head :D

A factory leftover? Made for another brand but branded Orville by mistake? Perhaps it was supposed to become an Epiphone Elitist?
we can only be more certain that it was originally intended to be an ObG/leftover if we get the serial right. So that's worth another try.

Please explain how do you check the finish for a refin with UV light?
Just looking for marks in the woods. Also good for checking neck repairs.

Is it impossible that it was supposed to become an Epiphone Elitist?

villager
Guitar God
Posts: 3680
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere.. France.
Contact:

Post by villager » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:25 pm

i think elitists were a fair bit later, orvilles i have seen as late as 97 but i am not sure when the elitists started, the original epiphones were orvilles through and through, they just changed the name, but they were poly, i think the elitists started in 99, and were in nitro, but theres a 2 year gap..

Koubayashi
Guitar God
Posts: 1544
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:08 am
Location: Tokyo

Post by Koubayashi » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:24 am

villager wrote:i think elitists were a fair bit later, orvilles i have seen as late as 97 but i am not sure when the elitists started, the original epiphones were orvilles through and through, they just changed the name, but they were poly, i think the elitists started in 99, and were in nitro, but theres a 2 year gap..
So the Elitist is excluded from the list of "prime suspects" then.

Then the only plausible explanations left are: A, a body that was supposed to become an ObG but ended up as an Orville or B, the body and the neck were left way back in the stock and came out to daylight after some time.

I will upload a pic of the serial number a.s.a.p so we can progress.

villager
Guitar God
Posts: 3680
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere.. France.
Contact:

Post by villager » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:08 am

my bet is ObG body

Koubayashi
Guitar God
Posts: 1544
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:08 am
Location: Tokyo

Post by Koubayashi » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:43 am

Seems most plausible.

Mounted pickups and pots last night. Will be interesting to see if it sings as good as the wood promises.

Udonitron
Guitar God
Posts: 950
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:42 pm
Location: Victoria, BC Canada Eh

Post by Udonitron » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:21 am

What about pics Koub!? You always say you are going post pics and then forget LOL

Koubayashi
Guitar God
Posts: 1544
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:08 am
Location: Tokyo

Post by Koubayashi » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:25 am

Udonitron wrote:What about pics Koub!? You always say you are going post pics and then forget LOL
I am lazy to upload on botophucket.

http://s754.photobucket.com/albums/xx18 ... 0LP%20Std/

Post Reply