Orville Plaintop with nitro

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koubayashi

Reaction score
Picked this beauty up today.

its a bit weird cause it has nitro finish and before the refret it had FEB.
Anyone seen this on an Orville before?

Edit: It also has one piece back. Weighs in at 3.75kg.
Probably a fantastic player.

P1070357.jpg

This is also a little interesting:
P1070359.jpg

Koubayashi said:
Picked this beauty up today.

its a bit weird cause it has nitro finish and before the refret it had FEB.
Anyone seen this on an Orville before?

P1070357.jpg

sure it isn't a refin?

villager said:
how did you test it for nitro? and whats the evidence of fret binding?

To test the nitro I always do as follows:

Firstly: acetone
Secondly: nitrocellulose solvent

It got all sticky and white from the acetone and the nitro solvent whiped it off good.

Its the same method I used when I discovered that not all high end Super Reals are finished in nitro. Poly finish doesn't react at all with acetone, nor nitro solvent.

The neck binding have left overs from the FEB.
Edges and "little bumps" are left.
Whoever refretted it didn't sand it down properly.

villager said:
well in that case its a very wierd orville!!!

Indeed.

Since the Japanese are so inconsistant I test the finish on all guitars.
I was very surprised.
I was convinced it had a 2-3 piece body at first but then I polished it up and checked the edges in proper light, there is no seam anywhere.

The pots, the switch, the wiring and the PUPs are non-original so there is no information to find.

A pleasant surprise for sure.
So pleasant that I bought two Orvilles from the same year today :D

i have just had 2 one piece backed ObG recently, but those were 2 of about 5 in all i have seen, i have no experience with orvilles, but nothing surprises me about these, matbe it was destined to be an ObG and got relegated at the last moment!! who knows:

villager said:
i have just had 2 one piece backed ObG recently, but those were 2 of about 5 in all i have seen, i have no experience with orvilles, but nothing surprises me about these, matbe it was destined to be an ObG and got relegated at the last moment!! who knows:

I also suspect that it was destined to be an ObG 59ri but ended up as a "regular" Orville.

Koubayashi said:
jacco said:
Koubayashi said:

which year is that?

Last run isn't it?

Interesting, wouldn't expect that.
Like villager said; it would be logical these were intended to become ObGs.. but if so then they should from 95 I guess

jacco said:
Koubayashi said:
jacco said:
Koubayashi said:

which year is that?

Last run isn't it?

Interesting, wouldn't expect that.
Like villager said; it would be logical these were intended to become ObGs.. but if so then they should from 95 I guess

Ooops. Maybe I misread the serial :D
I just turned it around and had a quick glance at it.

Dang. I might have made a mistake today :D

I will look more carefully and see what it says.

I checked the serial carefully

It starts with either a 3, 5, 6 or 8.

I can't decide if it's a 3 or 8 or a 5 or 6.

There are good arguments for every number :D

The serial number looks a bit smeared which could be the result of a refin but I can't see any other signs of a refin. And I have seen smeared serial numbers on tonnes of Japanese Lesters.

And what is up with the one piece body???
Btw, no FEB after 95? We both know that the Japanese makers were seriously inconsistant so I don't take that as a truth:wink:

Which leads to another question: are all ObG supposed to be finished in nitro? I have read that they should but I have had both reissues and "Standards" which were finished in poly.

hi
i got a obg exploere a korina model with gold hardware ,,,, some time ago and like it a lot ,,,, so i got a orville exploere korina with nickel hardware last week .... and to my big surprice the obg is a 3 piece body and the orville is a 2 piece body :eek: :eek: :eek:
the obg is from 92 and the orville is from 95 ....
all the best
otto

Koubayashi said:
I checked the serial carefully

It starts with either a 3, 5, 6 or 8.

I can't decide if it's a 3 or 8 or a 5 or 6.

There are good arguments for every number :D

The serial number looks a bit smeared which could be the result of a refin but I can't see any other signs of a refin. And I have seen smeared serial numbers on tonnes of Japanese Lesters.

And what is up with the one piece body???
Btw, no FEB after 95? We both know that the Japanese makers were seriously inconsistant so I don't take that as a truth:wink:

Which leads to another question: are all ObG supposed to be finished in nitro? I have read that they should but I have had both reissues and "Standards" which were finished in poly.

no ObG made after 1995 at all, and no orvilles ever confirmed with fret binding.. so therefore no FeB after 95 take it as you wish..

I trust Japanese inconsistency more than anything else :wink:

I have seen too many things that go against the catalogue specs to know that there is never any thruth about Japanese Lesters.

Poly finish on EGF850 and EGF1200. Indian RW on EGF1200 (and braz board on 850).
**** wood and plywood in Burny/Fernandes etc etc.

As soon as I polished this Orville and changed the pots to proper ones I will take a bunch of pics. It might be a refin but it still has one piece body (and neck). Celluloid inlays I discovered today.

talking about ObG and orvilles here,

show me an ObG with a 6xxxx serial number, or an orville with fret binding, and then I will believe it, until then I stick with my statement above.

villager said:
talking about ObG and orvilles here,

show me an ObG with a 6xxxx serial number, or an orville with fret binding, and then I will believe it, until then I stick with my statement above.

This is not an ObG. This is an Orville.

Whatever this Orville is, it still has nitro, one piece body and neck + leftovers from FEB.

I want to check the finish with UV-light but I don't have any right now. Will buy it a.s.a.p

Basically, mostly, its all about speculation on this forum. And when some info has been stipulated by certain members it becomes the general truth.

The specs on this Orville have nothing to do with ObG (since it is not an ObG). Whatever it is, its unusual.

Latest posts

Back