is it me or does this not make anyone else silightly sick?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJzT

Reaction score
just trawling through the net, and i saw this

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Collectors-Choice-1-1959-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfMzhshmFKc&feature=related

notice the complete lack of a mention of Peter Green on Gibsons part? Im guessing he wanted nothing to do with it, but to mention Gary Moore over Greeny?? Doesnt sit well with me :evil:

What suprises me more is that Gibson is still in business. There are only so many ways that you can reinvent the 1959 Les Paul, ten years down the line and they will still be coming out with the same 57/59 look alikes and digging there own graves.

At least Gibson are copying their own guitars.
The Japanese copy must be even more pathetic according to your thinking.

Since Gibson announced to offer the Jimi Hendrix STRAT,I know that nothing is impossible or too rediculous for this company... :cry:

Koubayashi said:
At least Gibson are copying their own guitars.
The Japanese copy must be even more pathetic according to your thinking.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know it's hard for people here to accept, but Gibson created the Les Paul, deal with it.
And no, it wasn't friggin' Les Paul who created it.

andyp81 said:
What suprises me more is that Gibson is still in business. There are only so many ways that you can reinvent the 1959 Les Paul, ten years down the line and they will still be coming out with the same 57/59 look alikes and digging there own graves.

Funnily enough, most guitarists wont buy anything that doesn't look like a 59 Les Paul or a 50s/60s Strat or Tele, so I guess this is why these models continue to be made... :roll:

Compared to all the dumbass lifestyle tatt that Gibson now sells (MP3 players, memory sticks etc) continually reproducing their 59 LP seems much closer to their core business, and in fact, is exactly what they should be doing.

t.olsen said:
Since Gibson announced to offer the Jimi Hendrix STRAT,I know that nothing is impossible or too rediculous for this company... :cry:

Guess where the Gibson Hendrix strat is for sale......Beijing!
They must have had a bunch made and ready to go when they pulled the plug on it. They are really crappy guitars, there are three packages they sell in the "Experience Hendrix" box. I thought about buying one for the hell of it but they were so cheap feeling that I couldn't bring myself to do it.

wulfman said:
t.olsen said:

Guess where the Gibson Hendrix strat is for sale......Beijing!
They must have had a bunch made and ready to go when they pulled the plug on it. They are really crappy guitars, there are three packages they sell in the "Experience Hendrix" box. I thought about buying one for the hell of it but they were so cheap feeling that I couldn't bring myself to do it.

They must be cheap versions of what was going to be the Jimi Strat, because the original plan (and some were built in the US Custom Shop) was for quite an expensive "proper" Strat albeit with a different headstock shape. The whole idea was terrible, but in keeping with the management's desire to make Gibson into a lifestyle company.

The customshop is the only thing that maintains Gibson's credibility - even if they are overpriced. They're still dynamite guitars.

But they're clearly not prepared to be a guitar company anymore. They fail to come up with new guitars. What was the last one? The nighthawk? Not a great guitar, ok, but at least it was an original design.

I'm sure they could get together a bunch of young designers and a bunch of young guitar makers, have them study the guitars of the Mcarty era with this brief, "They must be all new guitar designs, but follow the design principles of these '50s and '60s guitars."

I'm sure they could come up with something that would knock peoples' socks off.

But no. Dusk Tiger. 'Nuff said.

wow i cant believe that Gibson Stratocaster. Sounds pretty desperate on Gibsons part. The Hendrix name is obviously a huge cash cow. Both parties have extremely famous name sake users. I mean im guessing most guitarists when Hendrix is mentioned in terms of gear etc. Would think of Marshall, Fender, Uni-vibe, Flying V, Fuzz face, octavia, wah- wah the usual.

Trouble is a lot of companies basically trade off of heritage. It would be fantastic if Gibson/Fender etc dared to try something new that wasnt naff. IE awful robot modelling guitars. Like the other poster said, just the build quality of late 50s guitars, but with new advances. Maybe something geared towards resonant chambers. but i think other companies maybe fill this void anyway??

Anyway im going off subject slightly. Its the fact that the guitar is blatantly based on Peter Greens famous Les Paul. And because Gibson have been desperate to do a signature greeny for a while. And Greeny has said no to it, they've now named the guitar after its latest owner!

DrJzT said:
And because Gibson have been desperate to do a signature greeny for a while. And Greeny has said no to it, they've now named the guitar after its latest owner!

Latest owner?

yeah the Melvyn Franks guy is the collector who now owns the guitar after Gary Moore sold it to him. So yes Melvyn Franks gets a signature guitar but Peter Green doesnt. Gary moores people by all accounts only found out about it at the 11th hour. So thats why you have the Gary Moore signature.

My personal thoughts are, if Greeny said no to Gibson, then they should have respected his decision. I mean the guys been through a lot, and i think the les paul for him was a bit of sore point. It may bring back painful memories for the guy.
But i guess they want to make as much money as possible. But still its a bit wrong really, can you imagine if Fender had done the same thing with say Lenny without the Vaughan familys consent?

Gary Moore was in possession of that guitar for far longer than Peter Green. He's also arguably a far more influential player than Green, especially to the younger generation of players (Zakk Wylde, Paul Gilbert etc). It makes perfect sense to me that Gibson would name-check Moore. I'm sure that they would have asked Green, as they'd love to get his sig on a guitar, but if he wasn't interested, then that's his decision.

yeah i suppose thats a fair comment, i must be the exception in terms of younger players :eek:p (well nearly thirty now)

I never really considered Gary Moore that influential on younger players to be honest, certainly from guys i know it was either vai, satch, slash, gilbert, yngwie, vh, Hammett,, Rhoads, Zakk etc. Moore was probably a few years before. I only know him really from playing Lizzy.

I guess im just thinking, for me thats Peters guitar. For me personally Peter Green had a fair bigger impact on my playing than Gary Moore. It's hard not to take it to heart really, i mean Green should have been bigger than Clapton. But sadly it just wasnt meant to be :(

DrJzT said:
yeah the Melvyn Franks guy is the collector who now owns the guitar after Gary Moore sold it to him. So yes Melvyn Franks gets a signature guitar but Peter Green doesnt.

I can't figure it out either. Who wants a Melvyn Franks guitar?

Meanwhile though, Melvyn is creaming his shorts. He must be walking into guitar shops, saying "do you know who I am? Those are my guitars! I am MELVYN GODDAMN FRANKS! I have my own signature guitar, and you don't!"

DrJzT said:
I mean the guys been through a lot, and i think the les paul for him was a bit of sore point. It may bring back painful memories for the guy.

It probably brings back memories of Gary Moore, and that can't be good! I bet Greeny wishes Snowy White had bought it.

DrJzT said:
For me personally Peter Green had a fair bigger impact on my playing than Gary Moore.

Then you, sir, must be a player who understands feel & dynamics. :D

Latest posts

Back