What Springy Sound could this be?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeKink

Reaction score
So, I decided to sell my Als48bb, because I really want and need a Strat (and I have a horrible GAS). I recently got an offer of a Tokai Springy Sound, and the seller says it's an early 80's model.

So, here are 2 pictures:
http://www.kolumbus.fi/lassi.salo/Springy/Springy_Sound_1.jpg
http://www.kolumbus.fi/lassi.salo/Springy/Springy_Sound_2.jpg

Also, how much should I pay for it? He's selling it for 590?, but I think it's a bit too expensive. Or is it?

oh, and the seller also says that the body is made from ash, but he is not sure about it.

That is one gorgeous guitar. Do a search on eBay to see what similar Springy's are going for, I won't comment because I usually get the European pricing wrong.

I'm sure some of the UK guys will chime in on pricing.

One thing to ask is what does a new US made Strat go for in Finland? Then use this to base your pricing, the Tokai should be less.

Ned

Hmm, should the price be about the same as a Goldstar Sound? My friend has a Goldstar Sound from 84-85 and he paid 450? for it with a hardshell case.

Springy's are the original Tokai Strat and that one is in excellant condition. I would pay more for a Springy over a Goldstar all other things being equal. But using the Goldstar as a guide is definately a good idea.

As always try and get the lowest price.

Ned

You prefer the Springy over the Goldstar, but what about the Silverstar?

I understand they are of the same vintage as the Springy but replicate the post-CBS Strats.

There was an 1966 maple cap, large headstock Silverstar on eBay a week ago.
I was wondering what would be the price of such a guitar and how rare they are? Are they any good when compared to a Springy Sound?

TubeAmpLord

I understand that. but how do they compare to the "Springy Sound"?
Are they worth as much?

Sorry guys, missed this thread first time around ? ZeKink, that Springy looks good & CAR is unusual finish (most are sunburst), but check it has original fittings, eg neckplate with early 7-digit S/N beginning something like 101xxxx or 900xxxx, saddles stamped ?Tokai? (or maybe ?Final Prospec?), Tuners stamped ?Deluxe? or ?Tokai?, pups with grey or black base stamped ?U? or ?V? or ?E?, stamped numbers in pup cavity in form ?x=y? (eg 5=13; & similar stamp on neck butt). Also check that it really is a Springy & not a later model with replaced ?7okai? decal.

Prices - a couple of burst Springys just sold on eBay for $1000, but those prices are high, I?d say maybe $750 is nearer the mark (+/-10%), maybe more for CAR in good original nick. But also depends on model ? check if it?s ST50, 60, or 80 ... oldest ones have model number impressed into end of fret board (beyond last fret). In UK, a shop would charge around ?750 or more ($1400) for a nice CAR ST50 Springy.

TubeAmpLord ? I think Silverstars began a year two after Springy?s eg c.1980, maybe Peter Mac can tell us definitively on that, but they?re nowhere near as desirable. In fact they sell for less than mid 80?s or early 90?s Goldstars. Reason is simply that Silverstar is copy of 1970?s Strat with large headstock & bullet truss-rod, which is unfashionable even amongst US Fender ? perfectly good Strat copy, but buyers prefer small headstock 50?s replicas ... you can still pick up nice early silverstar for $350 or less :-? .

Ian.

Good, ? ?Tokai? markings on Tuners & saddles makes sense ? I think the ?Tokai? mark was used up until about 1980/81, then after 81/82 Strat saddles are marked ?Final Prospec?, & tuners marked ?Deluxe?.

Number on neckplate 0013024 is early type SN, and I think it indicates date of 1980.

Only remaining questions are Which Model is it? and are Pups original (U,E,V, VII stamped on base) ? if this guitar is all original then 590Euro is a BARGAIN & I?d buy it instantly (assuming it all works OK) 8) .

I think the body is either Sen (Japanese species of Ash) or Alder, both of which are excellent (so-called ?Basswood? probably used on later/cheaper models, but still good) :-? .

Ian.

I got the guitar today, and I must say that it is great. The neck feels just right, and the guitar sounds great. The frets are in excellent condition too (dunno if they have been replaced). I'm planning to look what's in the pickups' base next weekend.

Congratulations - well must say it looked killer in your photo, certainly very desirable/collectible example ... if you hadn't bought it then I'd have bought it myself at that price :-? .

Ian.

I had a SilverStar that had got a wonderfull maple neck but I sold it to a very close friend as he fell in love with it.My mistake!.These SilverStars were real sleeping guitars for the money asked a year ag,but now with prices scalating so many I am not so sure.

Hi,

sorry I'm very late to this thread.

One question concerning the beautiful CAR Springy-Tokai, as I own a CAR Springysound myself which I bought new in '80 or '81: the neck on ZeKink's guitar is different to mine and there are some other things I wanted to ask.

Here are two pics, first ZeKink's Tokai:

zekink_sp.jpg

and here's a pic of my Tokai:

springy.jpg

ZeKink's Springy has a skunkstripe (strange, because it has a rosewood board, you can clearly see this in his second pic in the first post), look for the headstock above the saddle, the claydots at the 12th fret are closer on my springy, and on my one you can see, that the neckadjustment is done where the neck goes into the body. On ZeKink's the knobs look way white and the lettering seems to be different.

My Springy has the "Final Prospec" on the saddles and the "Deluxe" tuners and a serial-# starting with "L".

Any Ideas? Change of production? Fake?

Have mercy

Joe

Hi Joe ? good to hear from you, how are things?

Yeah, rosewood board with headstock plug is unexpected, but take a look at 78 Catalogue (Registry) where ST60 Springy has the plug ? by 1982 the Catalogues show them without plug. Knobs could just be angle of photos (?) ? 12th fret markers may have changed between 78 & 82. I sure hope it?s not a ?chop-suey? :-? .

Ian.

Hi Ian,

thanks, yeah, all is well on this side of the channel. :)
Hope you're fine too.

I spent a lot of my time in the LPF JamZone, a fantastic place, jamming, having fun and learning a lot.

My 320 gives me so much, thanks again to supernout.
Got a JTM45 RI and an old Celestion 4x12 and it's hell of fun to play with that rig.

jtm_320.jpg

I took a look at the 78 Catalogue and saw all those differences, never recognized that earlier.

Seems, that ZeKink got a very cool and great guitar, it seems to be just a change in production.

All the best

Joe

Ah yes, I forgot you had that 320 from Supernout ? what a fantastic setup 320 + JTM45 + Celestion 4x12 8) . Must take a look at LPF Jam Zone ? I often read the vintage stuff there, lots of great info, although discussion of investment & huge-$$$ gets a bit crazy sometimes ... I sense a bubble about to burst there :-? .

Ian.

Hey guys,

this is a good thread...lotsa questions.

I like the axe but am a little suspect about its age. The skunk-stripe rosewood necks were finished by '79, the serial number seems high for a 1980 model and the lack of a pickguard scoop for the truss rod seems strange
I would like to see pics of the body routing, neck stamp and pickups to determine how original it is.
Great spotting on the other points, Joe. The string tree and fingerboard shape would suggest an ST-60. The MR color would have an Alder body - Tokai never used ash for solid colour finishes

Joe : the 'L' numbering started in 1982 - not earlier.
Strats from Tokai had 5 standard colours : BB=Black, GS=2T s'burst, YSO=3T s'burst, MR= Metallic Red & OW= Olympic White

CAR was a color offered to the US market only on altered headstock AST models and does not contain metalflake - it is a flat colour. FYI

regards
Peter Mac

Latest posts

Back