Flying Vee and Explorer

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james

Reaction score
Anyone know why Tokai put a black pickguard on their 58 V replica (TFV-70) when the Gibson original had a white one? After all, they put a 'correct' white one on the 58 Explorer replica (TEX-70).
How common were these guitars in the 80s? Did Tokai make a lot of them? The guy I know who worked for the UK distributors told me he doesn't remember there being many over here.

James

Just to add to this, I've seen pictures of both Ibanez and Greco models and the same seems to be true of these.

Gibson made them in black and white,so did Ibanez. I have a Korina Ibanez V with a white gaurd and their version of an Explorer with the black .I think the white looks better M.H.O!

Fair enough! Actually, after I'd posted that I did find a picture of a Gibson 58 V with a black plate - doh! But all other pictures I've seen have a white plate - strange. I guess when Tokai did the specs for there V they used a black plater as the model. Anyway, I agree, the white plate definitly looks better.

Anyone out there own one of these Tokais? How do you rate them? I used to have a Gibson Explorer, but sold it because the neck was like a baseball bat.

hi james
I owned both a 1976 Gibson Explorer and a 1984 TEX-70. I sold the Gibson for the same reason - that neck. The TEX-70 has the same shape neck as the TLS and TES models. They are a lot more playable than the Gibson and I have heard the Custom Shop Re-issues have the smaller neck now also.

Fair enough! Actually, after I'd posted that I did find a picture of a Gibson 58 V with a black plate - doh! But all other pictures I've seen have a white plate - strange. I guess when Tokai did the specs for there V they used a black plater as the model. Anyway, I agree, the white plate definitly looks better.
1958 V's were released with white plates. The black plate was put on some 1959 models but white was always the major choice.
We imported 12 Explorers and 8 FlyingV's into Australia and all sold slowly, the price of the Ibanez copies being the main problem - even with the Tokai being the far superior guitar.

regards
Peter

Sounds like they're going to be pretty rare beasts then. I suppose at the time people didn't want that traditional korina-type look. Did they make cases for them?

By the way, my Gibson was an 81 Explorer 2 - sunburst bound top (maple I think), ebony fretboard, gold hardware and (I think) Dirty Fingers pickups. It sounded great, but weighed a ton and that neck was just a bit unmanagable.

Hi james ,
Yeah, the cases were black with blue interior with a model # AL-130. They are not form-fitted. As with all things Tokai now, those people that have had the guitars this long are not selling them.

Korina - an African tree from the mahogany family. Very hard to get. I actually tried to get a slab in 1981 thru a wood dealer in Oz and he looked at me like I'd hit him with a mullet..or mallet. Had to settle for honduras mahogany..which was stolen by an ex-girlfriend...*****!
sorry guys, getting side tracked here.

regards Peter

I guess thats why Tokai used mahogany and finished it to look like korina. I note that the Ibanez ones were made of ash!

Back