Got my EBMM Axis a few days ago

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArthurS

Reaction score
I finally got the EBMM Axis that I bought from a guy in New York a few days ago, after Customs deemed it necessary to take nearly two weeks clearing it. I haven't spent that much time with it yet, but it seems to be a very nice guitar: great looking, very nice sounding, and a fantastic player. I think my Tokai is a bit louder acoustically (though that may partly be because of the 10s on the Tokai, vs 9s on the Axis), but it does have a nice resonance to it. Very balanced sounding.

The bridge is slightly bright when plugged (especially clean), but especially when overdriven it's more than fat enough and it seems to cut well. The neck humbucker is round and warm when clean, but still has amazing definition when distorted. Very impressive.

The best part about it is undoubtedly the neck. The oi/wax finish feels absolutely perfect. One of the best necks I've ever played, possibly the best. In fact, the neck is what drew me to an Axis in the first place.

As I said, I haven't played it that much, but I thought I'd share my first experiences. Here are some pictures for those interested:

axis1-klein.jpg

axis2-klein.jpg

As is so often the case, it looks much better in person: the quilt is much more pronounced (it looks like rippled silk under certain angles), and the color is much deeper and darker. I'm hoping to take some better pics soon :)

Nice guitar. So here's the problem... the neck on the EBMM Axis is so comfortable you won't want to play anything else. I've got mine tuned to Eb and my Tokai's tuned to E which keeps them on a steady work out.

Ned

I know exactly what you mean Ned, and I've found a similar solution. Only difference is that my Tokai is tuned to Eb (because it has 10s, and I want to reduce the tension on the neck until I get it checked later this week) and the Axis to E :)

By the way, your own purpleburst Axis SS doesn't look too shabby either!

Thanks man. I've been thinking of getting a regular Axis until I discovered the new Mesa Boogie Lone Star Special. So now I'm saving pennies for a new amp.

Back