Just purchased a DLX-2004 on ebay... info?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fabfabe2003

Reaction score
As stated... just purchased a Tokai Love Rock Deluxe Sunburst . Beautiful looking guitar... Does anyone have any info to share? As you can see, I am a Tokai newbie, and want to soak up as much information as I can. Here is the info on the ebay page...
*Solid Mahogany Body w/ Set In Neck
*Real Flamed Maple Top and Headstock
*Full abalone inlay around body, neck and headstock
*PAF Vintage Pickups
*Very High Quality Electronics and Parts
*10 Gauge Strings
*Serial Numbered
*Amazing playability and Tone

I believe those are MIK but from what I've been hearing the are killer guitars. What is the serial number?

Ned

Haven't received it yet Ned... but will keep in touch.
I spent about 3 hours reading these posts last nite...
Sure are a lot of "Tokai" heads here! LOL

fab

hey fabfabe2003 - did you ever get your Deluxe and can you give us a quick review?

Does anyone know why the price on the Love Rock Deluxe is less than the Love Rock? I would think the 'Deluxe' model would cost more. Just curious.

Thanks.

AHHHHHH!!!!
You are the one that beat me out on this guitar!!!! LOL :D
The price difference between the LR and the DLX-2004 is the binding around the guitar. Other than that they are pretty much the same. Other than shape and pickups. The LR are more PAF designed, while the DLX-2004 will give you more of a thrash (Slayer) sound.
Both are nice gits.
:eek:

It wasn't me that stole that guitar from you off ebay, but I did have my eye on one yesterday, which is actually the reason for the post. :) It looks like it didn't sell.

I'm kind of new to this whole guitar thing so I really don't know much about anything, but the more I look at the Tokai's the more I want one!

Do you think the Duluxe would be a good guitar for a person beginning his/her guitar 'hobby' or should I hold out for a LR?

kann16 said:
Does anyone know why the price on the Love Rock Deluxe is less than the Love Rock? I would think the 'Deluxe' model would cost more. Just curious.
Thanks.

Overstock = blowout prices. I don't think the "deluxe" model caught on quite as well as expected. Not everyone liked it. If its something your into and it suits your style then you can't go wrong. If your choosing a Tokai your dealing with a win, win situation, you'll get a good guitar either way.

Well, it's really up to you.
I just bought a new 2004 LR. It is one great guitar. The Deluxe is as well. I chose the LR because of the sound, look and color. Mostly though, it felt like an extension of myself. That's what counts.
Where are you? The USA?
Cause I'm in Canada and could hook you up with what you need...???

Yes, I'm in the US.

I've been watching the ebay ads pretty close the last couple of weeks but just haven't gotten up the courage to start bidding.

...if you could hook me up with what I need...that just might be the little push I needed! :D

Isn't that the model that looks like the ESP/LTD EC-1000? Propably comes from the same factory as well..

LaXu said:
Isn't that the model that looks like the ESP/LTD EC-1000? Propably comes from the same factory as well..
Yes it looks exactly the same as the LTD. Based on the pictures I've seen, I can't imagine them coming from different factories... they seem identical but for the name on the head stock.

Still enjoying your Fenix with the Mastertones, by the way?

Kann-16 ? I mainly play Les Paul & Tele, but if I was just starting I?d buy a Strat, preferably with humbucker (like Jeff beck models) ... 3-pups & Trem offer more versatile tones, and shape/weight generally make it more comfortable than Les Paul/Tele/335 etc. That's personal opinion of course :-?

Ian.

Ian!

I have a Fender strat that you might like.
I'm looking to sell at a reasonable price.
I can send you pics.....

B

Jb007 - Ha,.. thanks for the offer but as I say I mainly play Tele & Les Paul (have a couple of Strats that don't get much playing),... it's Kann-16 who needs a Strat (maybe) lol :) .

Ian.

Hey - I just grabbed a DLX-2004 off eBay - hasn't arrived yet. **** good price $549 shipped. Can't believe this guitar was that inexpensive - can tell it's gonna play fantastic from the pics - now that's a good guitar - not to mention the binding and the flamed top - unreal! The frets look outstanding. Only thing I'll add are chrome pickup covers and this will be one hell of a LP style guitar. Man, I can't wait 2 get it. Was looking and looking on eBay for a guitar that was well made like the LP with binding around the body, neck and headstock, with great frets, a set neck, a nice sunburst finish, and saw a couple that caught my eye, then happened upon this one, which was only a "Buy It Now" deal and was far beyond what I was looking for, and only $549 - killer!

Then I was searching on the net and I can't believe noone is selling this guitar. Not musician's friend, not sam ash, not same day music, nobody - it's the perfect guitar for someone who wants the quality and extras, but can't quite afford a Les Paul custom or supreme.

I need a Strat? I thought this was the Tokai forum? :D I appreciate the unbiased advice! Currently I have an Ibenez SA160QM and a Epi DOT. I really don't need another guitar, especially at my stage in the game...but here is my thinking...at least what i'm telling the wife :p ...this is an investment!

Seriously...if these guitars are as good as people say they are I would assume they would become more popular and prices would eventually go up. I really like the idea of buying a high quality, high end guitar for reasonable $. And as my abilities grow, I can grow with it.

Well, unlike Ian I wouldn't really recommend a Strat when you're just starting out. I agree with him that the body shape is the most comfortable, and it is very versatile sound-wise with a humbucker in the bridge, but the vintage tremolo on many models can be huge pain to keep in tune. Also, when it's floating, it's even a huge pain to tune in the first place, especially when you're a beginner.

I think a hard tail Strat might be the best of both worlds.

As for the 'investment' thing: the Strats that made Tokai famous are the Japanese models, especially the 'reissues' (based on 50s and 60s Strats) from the early eighties. These are already fairly expensive, selling for (I think) between $750 and $1250 for the more desirable higher-end models.

I myself haven't played one of these Tokais, but if I was in the market I'd go for a used US-made G&L Legacy. If you're patient, you can get one of those for around $450-500 on eBay- a bargain. The have all the Strat advantages Ian mentioned, plus some nice additions that can make a beginner's life easier: a tremolo that does stay in tune, medium-jumbo frets and a 12" radius. They also come with a hard case.

I don't think G&Ls will appreciate in value much, but if you buy one for the prices I mentioned, you shouldn't have any trouble selling them without a loss either, which is also a nice argument to convince the wife ("I can sell one without a loss, so it's basically like renting one for free"). Plus, they're usually excellent guitars that will grow with your capacities as a player :)

Then again, I don't particularly like Strats, so maybe I should stay out of this :eek:

Back