Tokai Inlays

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butrus

Reaction score
Do all new highend Tokai Lps have such bad inlay work (on higher fretts especially)?
What boders me is all the black filling around the inlays....
Yust looks awfull to me....
:cry:

LS320 from 2000
ls320-2000.jpg

LS230 from 2007
ls-230-2007.jpg

But have seen it on other MIJ LPs too...
:cry:

Yeah, I have noticed it as well, but not with Bacchus (as one example).

Luckily, it doesn't have any effect on tone or playability! :)

Still, nicely done inlays look good and, give the impression of high craftsmanship on the guitar.

I've had 150 Tokais in the last 8 months, not one looked like that.

That's most probably the only LS320 from 2000 that looks like that...where did you get it.?

Keep it, it's a one of a kind. ;)

Yeah. Those two don't look like fantastic inlay work. My '09 LS150 definitely has better work.

Has anyone with high end Tokais from the middle of this decade have the same kind of slightly sloppy inlays? Or are these exceptions?

Curious.

The flash in that photograph is enhancing the dark areas around those inlays, and it's also lighting up the rosewood.
I reckon if you oil that fretboard with Dr Ducks those dark areas will almost disappear.

There is the same thing on my LS150 but it almost disappears when the fretboard is oiled:

03042010177.jpg

Nothing to fret about if I dare say...

karppi said:
butrus said:
A true salesman :lol:

That had to be a joke. I hope. :eek:

Why?

If a Tokai dealer suggests you to use some kind of product,to cover up for a lack of attention to detail of the companys luthiers...
On a 2000eur+ instument that is....
Thats :eek: in my book

And let me explain:
Im not here to criticize brands or anything like that.
Im loking to buy a nice MIJ LP in the future and yust want to explore all the possibilitys and things too look afther.

I have looked closely to a lot of MIJ LPs photos lately.
That filling around inlays is not a consistant thing,but present often
Some are done superbly.
So since this type of thing bothers me its yust something I have to take under consideration(among other things) when buying an instrument

butrus said:
karppi said:
butrus said:
A true salesman :lol:

That had to be a joke. I hope. :eek:

Why?

If a Tokai dealer suggests you to use some kind of product,to cover up for a lack of attention to detail of the companys luthiers...
On a 2000eur+ instument that is....
Thats :eek: in my book

And let me explain:
Im not here to criticize brands or anything like that.
Im loking to buy a nice MIJ LP in the future and yust want to explore all the possibilitys and things too look afther.

I have looked closely to a lot of MIJ LPs photos lately.
That filling around inlays is not a consistant thing,but present often
Some are done superbly.
So since this type of thing bothers me its yust something I have to take under consideration(among other things) when buying an instrument

Are you really buying an "instrument", or a piece of furniture?

Do Tokai not Plek and also CNC route their inlays eliminating the need for
filler altogether, (round corners cant get a sharp corner with a drill bit I suppose) on newer guitars?

Not a major concern for me, but sloppy inlay filler on a $$$ guitar
should be a no no, although it can have a clinical computer made feel.

lol

1) I've never seen that much filler on any of the Tokais I've had.

2) The photograph is enhancing the filler...it's like looking at a flawless diamond with a 100X magnification and realising it's not flawless.

3) if you happen to have a guitar with what you think is too much filler around the inlays, you have two choices, to worry about it and let it spoil your guitar playing experience, or rub some Dr Duck oil into the fretboard which darkens the board and "hides" the filler.

4) If the filler is your main criteria when deciding whether to buy a Tokai or not, then that means all the other criteria like how the guitar plays and sounds, and the fact that the rest of the guitar is 'finished' flawlessly, becomes irrelevant.

5) You don't need to be a salesman to sell Tokais, they sell themselves.

GO ENGLAND!!!

Diamond said:
lol

3) if you happen to have a guitar with what you think is too much filler around the inlays, you have two choices, to worry about it and let it spoil your guitar playing experience, or rub some Dr Duck oil into the fretboard which darkens the board and "hides" the filler.

OR
you can choose not to buy that kind of an instrument :wink:

You made the furniture comment once before on another forum.
I dont get you man...
I expect big bucks instrument to be well made.And among other things that makes no ugly filling around inlays!
Is that too much to ask on a guitar that costs 2000-3000 eur????

Latest posts

Back