Verdict: Solid or Veneer?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3pupLPC

Reaction score
I recently picked up an OBG 59-reissue (FEB, etc) and am a little confused about it. I knew it did not have a scratchplate drilled, so I thought perhaps it was a special run, adn was hoping that it was a solid flame top. Once it arrived though and I pooped out the pups, I immediately said, "veneer"... but the thick cap is centered seamed and seams to be flamed itself. the top center seam seems just a tad off from the cap seam too... but the more I look, it looks as if the grain from the top matches the grain running through the sidecut.

It also has diagonal routing and a G-3xxx serial format (not G3, G-3). ANyone have any clues?

IMG_0878.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

Congrats 3PUPPY

Beautiful OBG reissue...I guess that by the routing that is a early fujigen made OBG REISSUE...I cannot see the little shelf /ramp in the rear bridge pup cavity...which terada made ORVILLES & OBGs usually had..

How does she sound..how heavy is the beast...You have brought some very nice and seriously higher end MIJs recently 3puppy...GOOD STUFF!

MOJO HOBO

Thanks Mojo :D
Haven't even played her yet, as I stuck in midst of ring change. I will weigh it once it is fully set up. On the lighter side tho... I'm thinking 8 and change.

My thought too Mark ultimately... I would like to have seen the actual cap as it seems to have some interesting graining itself.

I wouldn't worry about it, sometimes it's just so hard to tell and people get into huge fights over it... looks good, plays good, keep it :)

That's the problem... it has to go eventually. I just want to represent it accurately. But I will enjoy for a while first :wink:

I've seen a lot of LP inlays, but I have always admired those on the ObG 59 RIs. I would say they are better than the stock ones on Gibson Historics. :D

Latest posts

Back