Fujicon caps

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johan68

Reaction score
What type of caps are the big black Fujicon caps that are mounted in many Grecos (and maybe other brands too)? Are they paper in oil caps? I've got two Greco Les Pauls (-80 and -89) and both of them have these caps.

Do you replace them or are they considered to be good? I've just installed some russian PIO caps in my OBG Custom which had very small tiny caps (ceramic?) and it made an improvement both visually and soundwise.

/Johan

Yes, the Greco's are PIO caps. You can try changing them with Russian PIO's but you won't hear a difference. I tried.

lol
I don't need this.
My EGF1200 is far enough. :D
But if you make me this present I will accept! XD

jacco said:
Yes, the Greco's are PIO caps. You can try changing them with Russian PIO's but you won't hear a difference. I tried.

Actually, the caps are among those few things I find fully acceptable on Greco. Never had a reason to replace them myself :D

Koubayashi said:
jacco said:

Actually, the caps are among those few things I find fully acceptable on Greco. Never had a reason to replace them myself :D

even these greens (I think ceramics) are ok? or is it better to replace them with paper/oil caps?

marksimonhell said:
Koubayashi said:
jacco said:

even these greens (I think ceramics) are ok? or is it better to replace them with paper/oil caps?

This is my opinion: if you think they sound good then they are good and you don't have to change them.
If you think they sound bad you might better try something else.

Koubayashi said:
marksimonhell said:
Koubayashi said:
jacco said:

This is my opinion: if you think they sound good then they are good and you don't have to change them.

Interesting theory :lol:
How do you know if the caps sound good or bad? There are so many parameters which make a guitar's sound. You can only know if you change one of those parameters at the time (if possible) and see how it works.
In my experience changing ceramic caps with foil to film or paper in oil caps makes a huge difference.

I use 4700pF 200v as I like how they brighten a little more but the 0.01uf are the most well rounded caps you can use. Voltage plays no part in a cap's tone whatsoever so ignore it. Also, the larger the voltage the bigger the cap will be dimension wise. The standard 0.022uf are WAY too dark IMO...OK for a single coil but darkening a humbucker seems counter productive to me however tone is all in the individual's ear. :wink:

jacco said:
Koubayashi said:
marksimonhell said:
Koubayashi said:
jacco said:

Interesting theory :lol:
How do you know if the caps sound good or bad? There are so many parameters which make a guitar's sound. You can only know if you change one of those parameters at the time (if possible) and see how it works.
In my experience changing ceramic caps with foil to film or paper in oil caps makes a huge difference.

And I have learned over the years that many things are pure placebo effect :wink:

Udonitron said:
I use 4700pF 200v as I like how they brighten a little more but the 0.01uf are the most well rounded caps you can use. Voltage plays no part in a cap's tone whatsoever so ignore it. Also, the larger the voltage the bigger the cap will be dimension wise. The standard 0.022uf are WAY too dark IMO...OK for a single coil but darkening a humbucker seems counter productive to me however tone is all in the individual's ear. :wink:

He he, that's a mighty bright cap you use!
Maybe you have encountered some ear damage through of years live gigging and lost high tones :wink:... that reminds me of our old PA guy who always set the PA waaay too bright

Besides taste, I guess it all comes to the combination of guitar, pups and do not forget what kind of amp you are using, which cap you will choose

:p It is a little bright but really it does not brighten it THAT much. I actually tested a whole buch of different uf and pf ranges via alligator clips on the guitar and found the 4700 and 6800's to be better sounding. I think they make the mids a little more articulate. The 22 & 47's make it way too muddy sounding in comparison...too dark.

@ the guitar cable comment....that was funny
:lol:

@ the guitar cable comment....that was funny:lol:

WTF!! I was serious!!!! :lol:

But really have you ever tried cable like Vovox or Van den Hul; it's like taking a blanket off your speaker cabinet..

Oh man...it is like the debate over HDMI cables...they did shoot out with a $300 and a $5 cable and the difference was not even measurable. Sure oxygen free copper, shielding, etc all play a part in sonic transference but only to a certain degree man. I do not buy into paying $100+ for a guitar cable, honestly. I buy all my TV and guitar cables from Monoprice (seriously that place rocks) and their guitar cables are amazing! Cheap and sound great, plus the rubber coating they use NEVER gets twisted or looped.

I think many here will love Monoprice :D

www.monoprice.com

I agree with you that something that should be better in theory doesn't have to be in real life. That's why we try out stuff. My experience was going from Planet Waves cables to Vovox was a huge difference for the better. Also changing the internal speaker cabinet wiring to Van den Hul really opend up the frequencies (that's what I like..)

But think about this: if specs don't matter, why do we bother so much?

Well I hear what you are saying but once you get to a certain degree of quality, all the other "sparkles and dazzle" is just that. One also has to ask, is what you are hearing REALLY a massive difference or is it just a subconscious way of legitimizing your pricey purchase? :p Monster Cable crap is a prime example

Udonitron said:
Oh man...it is like the debate over HDMI cables...they did shoot out with a $300 and a $5 cable and the difference was not even measurable. ......
I think many here will love Monoprice :D

www.monoprice.com

The difference is a HDMI cable carries a digital signal, which either gets there or doesn't, and a guitar cable an analogue signal, which can be degraded by a cheap cable.

I'me certainly not advcating $200 cables, but really cheap ones do affect quality.

Those monoprice ones look nice, shame we don't have them in the UK!

Back