Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about a Tokai Jazz-Sound.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Basses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morgoth
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Question about a Tokai Jazz-Sound. Reply with quote

Hi everyone!
I'm new on these forums, but feel already like home though.
I have the opportunity to buy a Tokai Jazz-Sound made in 1979 (well, late 70s / early 80s). Do you think it's genuine?

Link :

http://www.zikinf.com/annonces/dispannonce.php?annonce=545434

More pictures :

Thanks mates.
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Question about a Tokai Jazz-Sound. Reply with quote

Morgoth wrote:
Do you think it's genuine?

I think so, but I'm a mere guitarist, there are bass players here who are better able to advise you than I am. But the rosewood looks up to Tokai's usual extra high quality, & it has a matching headstock, which makes it pretty rare. Early decal & L serial number means it's from 1981 or 82, assuming the basses follow the same "rules" as the guitars.

Nice.

Mike
Morgoth
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer mate.

Anyone else has some thoughts about it?
Fender32
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the pictures that you've posted, I'd say that it's 100% early late '70s/'80s Tokai Jazz Sound .

The thin, laminated fretboard, the swirly tort pickguard, the "L" prefix serial number, the 3-screw tuners and the headstock logo all fit. The painted headstock is a little unusual, but I expect that Tokai made a few JB45s that way, as well as with the more common plain maple headstock.

Bottom line - if it plays and sounds great, it's probably a genuine Tokai .
Morgoth
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate.

I eventually bought it in fact.

And yes, it plays and sounds great, the sound has even exceeded my expectations. Amazing bass!

I only discovered Tokai recently but I already know they're really great instruments.

Best bass I've ever owned, along with my former Thumb NT5 (a fine instrument too, handcrafted).

Thanks for your answers, it really removed my last doubts about it.
Fender32
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgoth wrote:
Thanks mate.

I eventually bought it in fact.

And yes, it plays and sounds great, the sound has even exceeded my expectations. Amazing bass!

I only discovered Tokai recently but I already know they're really great instruments.

Best bass I've ever owned, along with my former Thumb NT5 (a fine instrument too, handcrafted).

Thanks for your answers, it really removed my last doubts about it.

Result ! Welcome to the club .
jimmyv
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Tokai Jazz Sound Reply with quote

Morgoth, what a great looking Jazz Sound.. I've just discovered the Tokai Jazz Sound line. Recently found an all black TJB45S from about '85. Looking for another like it with some different features. Still happy with yours? If your looking to move it please contact me!! These are much harder to find than I thought. jv
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Basses All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: