Sunburst Lady Rush~

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is NOT a veneer, don't look at the nitro that has soaked in to the edge,look at the grain lines that continue through the cavity and along the top. Even that centre seam is too perfect to be a veneer, it solid....

Mick

I disagree...I cannot see the top grain seamlessly flowing into the cavity in that shot. Look at the full sized one via his link. I have seen MANY a veneer top line up perfectly with the cap underneath. As Greco-Burst said, I would demand sidewall shots of the pup cavities, that is the only way to know for sure if the flame runs through the wood. Greco did so many off the wall non-compliant rule bending on these guitars that solely relying on cherry vs. honey bursts or thin vs fat frets is just not enough to toss an extra $1500-2000 on the guitar IMO but that is just me :oops: To me, it still looks like a darker honey burst vs. being cherry but perhaps it is my LCD

Here is some food for thought: a few cropped shots to ponder over.

The Neck Route (one reg and one pointing out what looks to be a clearly obvious 2-3mm veneer line & I see no flame at the far side of that route although the flame is subtle there:

neckpup.jpg
neckpupveneerline.jpg

Here is a crop of the bridge route although nothing is distinguishable in this shot but I thought I would include it :p :

bridgepup.jpg

hi udinotron....

sorry dude your wrong, my Japanese buyer has actually examined the guitar in his workshop, and it is a solid topped EGF-1800 no doubt at all..

have another look at the big picture of the centre seam, its pretty obvious even from that that it is not a veneer, the grain can clearly be seen to be consistant from the cavity to the top..

villager said:
hi udinotron....

sorry dude your wrong, my Japanese buyer has actually examined the guitar in his workshop, and it is a solid topped EGF-1800 no doubt at all..

have another look at the big picture of the centre seam, its pretty obvious even from that that it is not a veneer, the grain can clearly be seen to be consistant from the cavity to the top..

Spot on Mark, i have a very good veneer right in front of me and i can guarantee, when you know what you are looking at you can tell the difference. I also am a painter and what you think is the veneer is just lacquer bleed into the timber. Some are hard to pick, that 1800 isn't hard to pick at all....all solid top.......i would bet my balls on it.... :wink:

Mick

In my opinion this is a 1800.
It doesn't look like veneer. Those "solid flames" I have had looks like this.
But it is tricky to tell from pictures and if I were to bid I would never go as high as it is now unless I had a guy to check things out for me.

You can also tell that this 1800 has spent quite some time in her case.

Precisely my point Koub...all "we" are looking at is photos and to me, based on the small amount of them, I would not bid anywhere close to $3000. I would take the safer bet and get a 100% known solid top Bachuss BLS-59 for $1500 etc. If Villager had someone check it out personally then we now know for sure ;). Not sure why that was left out for so long however. Why not just say you had someone check it out in the beginning? :-? This forum makes me scratch my head sometimes... :lol:

Nice Orville 59 win this morn there Vill, she is a beauty plain top!
:D

I found out quite recently, the subject was only raised here yesterday!! and i prefer to keep some of my information private, but you needed to know it was not an 1200 so I confirmed it for you.. as the price has gone so high i will not be bidding so its no loss to me to tell you for sure it is an 1800, before this I preferred to keep it to myself..as I do a lot of things about guitars I may be bidding on.

yes v nice ObG ta..

Udonitron said:
Precisely my point Koub...all "we" are looking at is photos and to me, based on the small amount of them, I would not bid anywhere close to $3000. I would take the safer bet and get a 100% known solid top Bachuss BLS-59 for $1500 etc.

+1
Or a Momose for $2500.

I couldn't tell from the photos either, the grain running right through was not obvious to me. However, why use a veneer top with so little flame?
In all honesty I like the top myself, but then I prefer natural looking variable flame rather than enhanced BBQ grill style flame.

JVsearch said:
Udonitron said:
Precisely my point Koub...all "we" are looking at is photos and to me, based on the small amount of them, I would not bid anywhere close to $3000. I would take the safer bet and get a 100% known solid top Bachuss BLS-59 for $1500 etc.

+1
Or a Momose for $2500.

I couldn't tell from the photos either, the grain running right through was not obvious to me. However, why use a veneer top with so little flame?
In all honesty I like the top myself, but then I prefer natural looking variable flame rather than enhanced BBQ grill style flame.

+2 agreed. The Momose's are amazing custom shop guitars as too are the Navi's. Yeah I too prefer the non-bookmatched obscure flame tops but I have seen mild flame veneers on Super Real 850's

Vill - I was going to bid on that OBG but backed off once I saw your bid. I am not one for stepping on toes ;)

cheers udo PM sent

momose, bacchus, navigator and tokai high end new stuff is all of the very best quality, I have examples of each, (except momose) and theres little to choose between them, but they are not regarded as vintage MIJ

for me that is a big difference, not saying that I always prefer any particular vintage guitar over any of my newer ones, .. it depends on the mood heh, but there is, in my mind, a difference.

My god the economic downturn unearths another couple of gems..

look at the top on this!!

http://www.rinkya.com/twview.pl?URL=http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n89549822

And also this lady..

http://www.rinkya.com/twview.pl?URL=http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b112257145

Sigh...

wish I was richer than I am... :(

Dave

This morning I was looking for a guitar in my storage and found not only the one I was looking for but also this:
P1050923.jpg

P1050925.jpg

Latest posts

Back