7 digit serial Orville?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zerolevel1

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

Iwas hoping somebody can help me identify this guitar I acquired. It was said to be an orville guitar which the headstock (probably the body too) was repainted. I'm the 3rd owner, and would like to know if this is really an orville or whatever guitar this is. I done some initial researching but found that there are orville serials with no letter on them but they only have 6 digits. mine has 7. can anybody identify this guitar? I would really appreciate it.
2_245996105l.jpg

2_958174236l.jpg

2_141306150l.jpg

2_213189726l.jpg
[/img]

thanks.

Would a pic of the cavities or electronics would help? I haven't have one yet though. maybe when i get home from work.

It's not a late 70s Burny. 1978/79 did have a 7 digit serial but was stamped and made by Tokai. All these serials started with an 8.
Pics of the pu cavities and control cavity would help.
How many pieces top & backwood are there?

zerolevel1 said:
jacco said:
How many pieces top & backwood are there?

Uhmm. I can't tell. How can I distinguish it from the paint?

If you hold it in the right light you probably can tell, I can with my 2 customs. Or maybe it's thick lacquer? Take a look in the pup cavity maybe it's possible to distinguish 2 pieces of wood.
Pics?

Where there any ever ObG Customs that had fret binding but didn't have an ebony board ('57 RI)?

Mono said:
Where there any ever ObG Customs that had fret binding but didn't have an ebony board ('57 RI)?

It's very possible, as there's quite a few Japan made Customs that have rosewood fingerboards, although they sometimes stain them black so it's hard to tell from photos.

Looks like that is a Tokai LC-60 from 1985 - neck tenon and square routing in the pickup cavities?

I agree with JV,looks like a tokai made guitar from 1985...what does the guitar weigh ,is the body made from mahogany....Hard to tell from your pictures....?

Heres a picture of i think MOJOBURSTs tokai lc60 ....with a basswood body...
TokaiLoveRockLC-60Blackbeautymij-1.jpg

TokaiLoveRockLC-6057BlackBeautymij9.jpg

I think the pups have been replaced... :eek:

MOJO HOBO

mojo hobo said:
...I think the pups have been replaced... :eek:

MOJO HOBO

Yep, 100% - they don't have gold screws for pole pieces in them.
And, a sticker with a barcode in 1985? Don't think pickup makers went that far in the early 80s, so the pickups are probably more modern.

The neck pickup/tenon area looks almost identical to yours Mojo, except for the nice and convenient unpainted bit that shows the model number on your guitar!

So a guitar with a mysterious history and some signs to prove it, but likely to be a pretty good axe!

Thanks MOJO, our guitar looks preety much alike. So the body must've been repainted as well. except for the pickup, hardwares also looked identical. Is your stoptail aluminum also?[/quote]

Back