• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

LS200, LS320, or Reborn

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'd have to pull mine from my cold dead fingers... after you'd dug up my coffin.

According to the distributor you can order 200/320's new in the UK, or you could just buy from a Japanese shop that ships internationally.

They're very rare over here as most people would rather just buy a gibson or are simply unaware of them. Those who do own them are usually unwilling to let them go, so secondhand is almost definately out of the question.

Thanks, I know it's gonna be hard, but if there's a place for asking i reckon this is it! I've been in touch with Koishi at Ishibashi and several of the Japanese ebay sellers. Ishibashi do have them but there is a three month wait.
I've got a couple of Gibson 91 standards and a couple of really nice Orville's (which tend to have a bigger/wider neck than the Gibson's), but I just want to throw my hat into the ring with a killer LP with a nice fat neck, tank construction and great sounds, and the high-end Tokai's seem to fit the bill.
I had a 91 LS-60 a few years back that was OK, probably on a par with the Orville's, but I only want to buy one more LP - the one I'm going to keep and I reckon short of Gibson Historic, the LS320 looks the business.

Tell me it is!!????

Cheers
Tez

tezza-j said:
I had a 91 LS-60 a few years back that was OK, probably on a par with the Orville's, but I only want to buy one more LP - the one I'm going to keep and I reckon short of Gibson Historic, the LS320 looks the business.

Tell me it is!!????

Cheers
Tez

My 200 has the biggest and best feeling neck I've ever played. The 320 is actually HIGHER SPEC than the gibson R9 - braz rosewood, hounduras mahogany, Duncan pickups, oil caps, CTS pots, the works.

That's what i'm after. Does anyone else produce a custom shop standard Les Paul without the custom shop price? It seems not, so I'm thinking this would be my best option.
I do have a contact in Japan who has come across a 1980 LS-100

"Brown Sunburst finish, 2pcs. Maple top and 1 pcs. Mahogany back"
Not the Reborn, probably one of their first Love Rock production from its production year"

Now if this is an LS-100 (100,000 yen in 1980) would I be right to think it's a high-end model?

A Reborn LS-100 would definately be a sweet guitar. That might be one you just grab for because it's there.

Ned

ned said:
A Reborn LS-100 would definately be a sweet guitar. That might be one you just grab for because it's there.

Ned

Agreed. Maybe not as high end as a 320, but the mojo factor and rarity would make it worth it on its own.

thanks for the quick posts, but it's not a Reborn according to my contact, but has "Love Rock model" on the headstock. I could swear it reads "reborn" where the "model logo is though. If it wasn't a reborn would it still be worth the effort?
Looks all stock, creme bobbin dimarzio's and all

Cheers

Actually, on further inspection it does say Les Paul on the headstock so would be Reborn? It looks like it's going to cost me about ?650 max. Is that a decent deal or too much?

Cheers

[/img]

tezza-j said:
Actually, on further inspection it does say Les Paul on the headstock so would be Reborn? It looks like it's going to cost me about ?650 max. Is that a decent deal or too much?

Cheers

[/img]

BITE THE GUY'S HAND OFF. NOW.

Are you still here? Move! :evil:

Hmm ... if it?s 1980 should be Reborn Old or Love Rock (Les Paul Reborn 1978-79). I think LS100 is same as LS80, except 100 has discrete caps (whereas 80 has the circuit board). If it?s all OK I?d snap it up, but subjective business whether you?ll rate it above/below Gibson/Orville/whatever, 2:cents :-? .

Ian.

thanks, yeah i know it's all subjective. One day my search will end!!
I've gone through all the Burny, Greco, Orville stuff and the best I've seen, by a country mile, were a couple of "Orville By Gibson" Les Pauls.

I had one exactly like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3778183829&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

They were so close to Gibson LP standard that the difference was negligible. I do like big and flat necks on my LP's and these OBG's were slightly narrower than my Standard Gibson's, so I sold them on.

I've found one Orville I've had for a year or so now, exactly the same as this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3776998022&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

This is probably the best LP i've got (SD Seth Lovers fitted) and the neck is great - flat and wide.

So my reason for looking at the older Tokai's is to try and find a guitar that outdoes my Gibbo's and lives up to that Orville. Neck width really is key for me. I don't feel comfortable on the thinner necks

cheers

Tezza ? see this re Tokai neck sizes http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2571&highlight=calipers . Note they?re not all fat 59 style, eg I have 82 LS60 with slimmer neck like 1960 Les Paul (or R0) :-? .

Ian.

i just recently traded off a 79 lp reborn, ls100,,,,it had a solid top, slightly and elegantly flamed. very nice guitar.

If I did get hold an new LS320 in the UK how much would I expect to pay and what would a second-hand one go for, assuming I could find a seller?

Cheers
Tez

ok, I see there's no handing-over-of the-LS's stampede, no takers at all?
Suffice to say my LS-100 deal bit the dust so I'm a wretched LS-less creature again.

I'll be offering some of my geets on another post later today. They're not Tokai's but I know the guys here are partial to other brands of Japanese guitars so there may be something of interest for someone.

cheers
terry

A 320 would cost you approximately two grand.

It's not even worth considering secondhand - it's just not going to happen, I'm afraid. :(

Latest posts

Back