Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DIY Amp kits

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Amps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
schoey
Power chords are my friend


Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Posts: 31
Location: Lancashire, England

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: DIY Amp kits Reply with quote

Hi Guys
Although we have still to hit Summer properly here in the the UK my mind has started turning to a "Winter" project, and I fancy building a low wattage "Fender Circuit" based amp. Power rating from almost as low as you can go to 5 watta max will be considered
Anyone out there (specifically Uk based for tech reasons) had/have any recommendations in the kits available, and what/who to avoid

Thanks in advance Guys
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JohnA
Guitar God


Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 4176
Location: Leicester UK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.ampmaker.com is in the UK has a great reputation, is cheap as chips and does some nice low wattage kits.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
schoey
Power chords are my friend


Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Posts: 31
Location: Lancashire, England

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers JohnA
Yes I have seen their web site and they do look promising. The thing is I was told by a proffessional builder that they were at the Manchester Guitar Show last year doing a deminstratin build, and the amp set on fire when it was plugged in ????
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JohnA
Guitar God


Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 4176
Location: Leicester UK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like any DIY project you need to be careful, and really know what you are doing to avoid problems. If the amp set on fire it will almost certainly have been caused by an error in the build, or maybe a faulty component, something that could happen to any amp not just an ampmaker one.

All of the components in the ampmaker kits are top quality, and safe, it's up to the assembler to make sure the final amp is safe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ampmaker
Guitar God


Joined: 15 Oct 2010
Posts: 113
Location: Cambridge, England

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schoey wrote:
Cheers JohnA
Yes I have seen their web site and they do look promising. The thing is I was told by a proffessional builder that they were at the Manchester Guitar Show last year doing a deminstratin build, and the amp set on fire when it was plugged in ????


I was just emailed a link to this page by a would-be customer.

Not sure if there's a 'wrong end of the stick' thing going on here, but Amp Maker (that's me, obviously) has never been to Manchester Guitar Show (or any other guitar show) as an exhibitor/demonstrator/etc. In fact, the last time I was in Manchester was 1981ish!

schoey - Please let me know who the professional builder is, or please alert him to this thread so he can clarify. I don't know where this story came from, but it's 100% untrue.

(I'm only posting this to set the record straight - not ranting or raving. I used to be a regular poster here and still have several Tokais)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
luis
Guitar God


Joined: 15 Sep 2001
Posts: 2305
Location: Spain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Barry,glad to hear from you.
I also support Barry and Ampmaker,very nice kits and they have cabs also.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Diodibuh
Guitar God


Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 688
Location: Slovenia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ampmaker amps are really great but the best part is Barry's support. Thank you again
Ceriatone has also very nice amps, usually more expensive than ampmaker.

Srecko
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
JohnA
Guitar God


Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 4176
Location: Leicester UK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ampmaker wrote:
schoey wrote:
Cheers JohnA
Yes I have seen their web site and they do look promising. The thing is I was told by a proffessional builder that they were at the Manchester Guitar Show last year doing a deminstratin build, and the amp set on fire when it was plugged in ????


I was just emailed a link to this page by a would-be customer.

Not sure if there's a 'wrong end of the stick' thing going on here, but Amp Maker (that's me, obviously) has never been to Manchester Guitar Show (or any other guitar show) as an exhibitor/demonstrator/etc. In fact, the last time I was in Manchester was 1981ish!

schoey - Please let me know who the professional builder is, or please alert him to this thread so he can clarify. I don't know where this story came from, but it's 100% untrue.

(I'm only posting this to set the record straight - not ranting or raving. I used to be a regular poster here and still have several Tokais)


Would be nice if you keep dropping by, there are a few amp builders on the forum, and it's always nice to have someone around who knows what they are doing.

Loverocker wasn't it? The best user name on the forum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ampmaker
Guitar God


Joined: 15 Oct 2010
Posts: 113
Location: Cambridge, England

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, chaps. Nice to see some familar 'faces'.

I shall definitely hang out here more often, and be as helpful as I can. It's a long time since I've mooched around here, and I would rather like an '83 Tokai bass... So who can I persuade into selling one?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JohnA
Guitar God


Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 4176
Location: Leicester UK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ampmaker wrote:
Thanks for the kind words, chaps. Nice to see some familar 'faces'.

I shall definitely hang out here more often, and be as helpful as I can. It's a long time since I've mooched around here, and I would rather like an '83 Tokai bass... So who can I persuade into selling one?


Great stuff, look forward to your posts! Any plans on any blackface style amps with reverb? Theres got to be a gap in the UK market for something like that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ampmaker
Guitar God


Joined: 15 Oct 2010
Posts: 113
Location: Cambridge, England

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnA wrote:

Any plans on any blackface style amps with reverb? Theres got to be a gap in the UK market for something like that.


Good Q. BF+reverb is always a popular combination. I'd have to find a way to make it fit the way I have of doing things... Not in the immediate future, to be honest.

If you're in a rush, there's already a DR clone kit available in Europe (Tube Amp Doctor), and Barry Vyse at Torres UK has a great foundation in Fender amps.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JohnA
Guitar God


Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 4176
Location: Leicester UK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ampmaker wrote:
JohnA wrote:

Any plans on any blackface style amps with reverb? Theres got to be a gap in the UK market for something like that.


Good Q. BF+reverb is always a popular combination. I'd have to find a way to make it fit the way I have of doing things... Not in the immediate future, to be honest.

If you're in a rush, there's already a DR clone kit available in Europe (Tube Amp Doctor), and Barry Vyse at Torres UK has a great foundation in Fender amps.


Yes the TAD (mojo) kits look great, but I like your prices better Something based round a standard chassis would be OK, I'm not looking for a deluxe reverb clone, just an amp that captures the sound.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
andyscott
Guitar God


Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Posts: 173
Location: Scotland

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just listening to this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPSz_7H2Df8

That's an impressive tone for around 100 squids.

On the shopping list for June!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Amps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group