LINE6 SPIDER VALVE

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max The Dog

Reaction score
Has anyone tried one of these amps and if so what is your opinion please?
Pete.

Line6Valve003.jpg

I tried one, and thought it sounded really good! I'm actually considering buying one myself, but there's that inner snob trying to talk me out of it because it's not a 'proper' valve amp.

I'm sure it won't replace my JTM45, or really make a Vibrolux redundant, but it'll do a more than passable impersonation of both, plus a whole heap more, weigh less and cost less :D

^ i suspect it's got a ton of modelling in the preamp section. from what i can remember about reading about them, anyway.

Personally, I wasn't all that fussed. the lower gain tones were actually not bad, but i thought the higher gain tones were fairly poor. I'd rather have a channel switcher. I know when i tried the spider valve, you could have got an engl screamer or laney tt for a similar price, but i think the prices have changed a bit now, with the spider valve getting a bit cheaper and the other two a bit dearer. neither of those two do any modelling, but i'd rather have a good clean, good crunch, good heavy crunch, and good high gain tone, than 16 (or 32? :-?) mediocre modelled tones. That's just me, though.

I did only get to try the spider valve at pretty low volumes, though. and i didn't think it was terrible, it was a lot better than the normal spider, i was actually surprised how much nicer. Just no cigar, kind of thing. :lol:

i tried one out in the days of me lugging around a massive marshall and a effects pedal board. Wasnt really that bowled over by it, to be truthful. Not that it was a bad amp or anything, it was more the fact it wasnt quite the sound i was after :) Ive been trying to get something that does one or two good sounds, and away from an arsenal of sounds and effects. Although if i was in a gigging covers band i could be tempted, would save on space and all that.

Back