1983 Greco Mint Collection

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the passenger

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently purchased this Greco eg59-50 from Chingo:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230476802065&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

This will be my first Greco, what do you think of that? I'm really courious about it soundwise, because it's an incredibly light guitar: 3,75kg, without any chamber! And I've never played such a lightweight Les Paul, but some say the lighter wood means more resonance. Any experiences with this model or such a lightweight LP?

That's a beauty - love the color. Chingo's a good seller. I've bought a few pieces from him and have never been disappointed. Congrats!

Congrats!
A great guitar! If you?re a live-player the lightweight 3,7 kg will be helpful. I have got 3 MIJ LP?s weighting ca. 3,6 kg with very resonant acoustic tone, but my early?70s Gibson LP Deluxe weighs 4,6 kg(!) and is exactly on the same resonance-level. So I think the weight can, but does not have to be a tonal advantage. Check your new GRECO out! You won?t be disappointed. The Mint Collection-series are KILLER guitars!

hi
some time ago i had a super real with a chambered body ,, 4.2 kg ....
:D :D :D so even a chambered body can be heavy :D :D
all the best
otto
by the way a mighty fine guitar ...... really like the early mint serie :D :D :D :D

Yeah those early 80's Mint Collections are such sweet guitars. The colors and bursts they used just rocked...nice gradient deep reds to orange...gorgeous! I scooped up a rare transitional EG59-70 this morning with a solid flame top (no it is not a veneer! It was meant to be a plain top but they ended up putting a nice plain cap with lots of flame all over), Fujigen made complete with Gibson pups, fret binding, and what looks to be a Braz board :D Looking forward to it

Thanks guys, your are all adding to my Greco fever - I have my eye on a mint collection LP from a Japanese seller. No model number given other than mint collection.
Listed at 3.8 kgs.

Would 38000 yen be a good deal for this? It has a ding on the body and one on the headstock. No details on pickups available.

4643365089_89c9cf6586_o.jpg

4643978988_8e460231fc_o.jpg

the passenger said:
Any experiences with this model or such a lightweight LP?

I have (and love) an '82 EG59-45 - exactly like yours except with a three piece top. I would never call it lightweight, though I've never put it on a scale.

The Screamin' 82 pickups are crunchy ? if you want to play rawk, then you're probably good to go. I swapped out the ceramic mags for some AlNiCo ones to take the edge off, as they're not overwound.

Back