What's this?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the passenger

Reaction score
Have you got any idea about that strange neck joint construction I've found on a MIJ Love rock?

tokai2_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

tokai_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Looks like it's been worked on due to the missing finish below the fretboard to the edge of the pickup cavity. Possibly a re set of the neck and then doweled.

Are there any cracks in the finish on the backside of the heel?

What year? That neck joint is all wrong for a Tokai.

The tang on the neck fits dead-center, rather than offset.
It is dowelled, and doesn't appear to have been reset/reseated.
No route into the upper p/up cavity for the tenon.
No square routs for humbucker p/up legs.

There's probably more. Strange bird, if it's legitimate.

Absolutely no reflection on quality, workmanship, playability. Just doesn't look like a Tokai.

Looks like an inkie to me!
In 1980-1981 there were Tokai LS50s & 60s with dowel tenon and ink stamped serial on the back of the headstock.
The word is these were made in another Tokai plant, in Matsumoto, 150 km north of Tokai Gakki headquarters in Hamamatsu. The same city were the the Fujigen plant lies, thus Greco's were built.

jacco said:
In 1980-1981 there were Tokai LS50s & 60s with dowel tenon and ink stamped serial on the back of the headstock.
The word is these were made in another Tokai plant, in Matsumoto, 150 km north of Tokai Gakki headquarters in Hamamatsu. The same city were the the Fujigen plant lies, thus Greco's were built.

Me too! Look at this, I've just found it: http://www.k4.dion.ne.jp/~yjibika/en_1980TokaiLS60.html
Its got the same neck construction and stamped serial. A little strange, but it seems to me a legitimate love rock in every other way.

jacco said:

I think this is correct. There looks to be an extra piece of wood at the neck heel.

The question is, are they as much a Tokai guitar as the ones from the main factory?

Yeah, I guess that's out of a little frustration. I posted a few topics on this subject but didn't get much response. So these posts aren't that interesting anyway. I contacted a few japanese collectors and got some good info!
Hey, but you have read it :D

jacco said:

Oh, another Tokai plant? If so, it must have been a plant set up to make Grecos?

No matter which way you look at it a Tokai LS should not have a two piece neck IMO. But hey, that's just one of my personal dislikes because it is a cost cutting measure. I doubt it affects the guitar in any way! :lol:

Latest posts

Back