Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GRECO PU 2 pickups - any good?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MIJvintage
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

japanstrat wrote:

I have some U-1000 pickups and I've also had Super 70s and they are just about the same.
The Alnico 8 magnet produces a distinctive brightish sound in the old Maxon pickups plus Maxon have said they used Alnico 3, 5 and 8 in the old pickups and Dry Z are Alnico 3 and therefore sound vintage like and U-1000 have the Alnico 8 thing going on and are bright and chirpy and verging on ceramic in lots of ways but still have Alnico characteristics and U-2000 have the Alnico 5 thing going on, standard sort of thing and not as bright as Alnico 8.

japanstrat, do you know, or do you have any idea what grade Alnico is in the PU-2?

thanks

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis
japanstrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would only be a guess because I havn't heard them but I'd say probably Alnico 5.
It wouldn't be Alnico 8.
Alnico 3 might have been used but I don't think so because the Dry Z's have Alnico 3.
bmarsh
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: my pu2 saga - long time forum reader, 1st post Reply with quote

let me first say, this forum is awesome! I have basically discovered the greatness of greco here and am so happy I did. I am in love with mine as it seems you guys are too!!

so I recently purchased a nice 1979 EG900 burst. It came stock with the Dimarzio PAFs, which truthfully sounded really nice. They broke up very easily and sort of reminded me of the Page-burstbucker sound.

But I gave in to what the forums were saying about pu2's and dry z's. so when a set of pu2's came up on ebay, I bit. 300 smackers! painful price!

But I will tell you, these are very very nice pickups...but choose your amplifier wisely, test them in your rig. Thru my mid 60s vox student tube amp cranked, what a beautiful tone! just on the edge of crunch but still clear. That is the best way I can describe pu2's is clean and clear. with my main amp, a mid 60s vox cambridge tube amp no matter how much I cranked, the guitar just sounded loud and clean with just a touch of overdrive. Actually more of a thick clean tone than overdrive. I had a similar issue at a local blues jam thru the house modern fender deluxe, clean but thick tone, even as I turned up the gain. Whereas the dimarzios reached that overdrive sounds really easily.

And by the way, before I swapped the dimarzios out, my guitar teacher freaked out saying my $600 greco sounded every bit as good as his r8 or r9!!(is there any r9? I don't know haha)

So...

dimarzios = bustbucker
pu2's = underwound paf?

Maybe people will disagree with me. But this is what I found. pu2 are very nice, and a unique tone. You will be happy with them most likely. But a clean tone they are. And just gorgeous in the neck position!

As for me, I pulled the trigger on a set of dry z's on ebay a couple weeks ago. I felt crazy spending that kind of cash on two pickups

I just installed them, and let me say, I AM IMPRESSED. Very warm, clear, but nice breakup! I have only tested in the vox student tonight. tomorrow will be thru the blues jam's fender deluxe!! I really don't feel like I'm being biased because I spent a load on the dry z's...they do sounds really really good so far. Just inspired me, I wanted to keep playing and playing! If the tone wasn't so good, I would feel like chump paying $500 on pickups...maybe I still am haha. But a happy chump at least!

bmarsh

p.s. If anyone wants to see pics of my baby, let me know how to upload pix and i'll post. I'm just not sure how to :/[/img]
Juni41
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: my pu2 saga - long time forum reader, 1st post Reply with quote

bmarsh wrote:
p.s. If anyone wants to see pics of my baby, let me know how to upload pix and i'll post. I'm just not sure how to :/[/img]

I want!

Upload your pictures on photobucket or imagehack and then write [img]url_of_your_picture[/img].
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool thanks!

Here you go...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: