Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

White 1984 SG50
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stratman323

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: White 1984 SG50 Reply with quote

Did anyone see this auction?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320531842817&_trksid=e11010.m203&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DI%252BS%26itu%3DSI%252BUCI%26otn%3D4&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:GB:1348

I felt very tempted, but someone grabbed it at the BIN price while I dithered. Did anyone here buy it?

What's the verdict guys & girls? Did I miss a bargain? Or did I have a lucky escape?

Mike
japaxes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not me mike , but if it's a chingo it will be ok . looked like a nice one too.
DaveWW
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suspect you and the rest of missed a bargain.... Seems a lowish price - perhaps becuase of the paint touch up on the headstock and horn?
stratman323

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other point that I thought some of you Gibson types would notice - this SG seems to have the infamous fret edge binding. On an SG50?
dombat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1985 white SG60 has fret edge binding too, on a very chunky neck
Freebird
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked this SG up for a friend. I'll let you know more about it when it arrives. The "bleached" looking areas in the finish are indeed mysterious.

Take a look at the photos of the finish under the bridge and tail piece - those areas also look "bleached". I have to assume the color differences under the bridge and tail piece is a function of its exposure to light, etc.

So - were the other areas with the "bleached" looking finish covered up with something too? Wierd.

As far as the fret edge binding is concerned, just because it was listed as an SG50 doesn't mean that it is. It could be a higher numbered model.
DaveWW
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think youre freind got a good buy Please let us know how it plays when it arrives.

I fancy a nice wide necked SG...

Dave
MIJvintage
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a nice one; a nice classic white SG standard

the lighter colored/white areas look like they may be missing some clear coat ................

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis
stratman323

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freebird wrote:
I picked this SG up for a friend. I'll let you know more about it when it arrives.

As far as the fret edge binding is concerned, just because it was listed as an SG50 doesn't mean that it is. It could be a higher numbered model.

Just what I was thinking - it must be higher than a 50? Shame you were more decisive than me.

When it arrives, please tell me it has a big fat neck - then I won't feel so bad about missing out on it! The red Tokai SG I bought in the late 80s had a slim neck & I kinda assumed they all had the same sort of neck.
Freebird
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
Freebird wrote:
I picked this SG up for a friend. I'll let you know more about it when it arrives.

Just what I was thinking - it must be higher than a 50? Shame you were more decisive than me.

When it arrives, please tell me it has a big fat neck - then I won't feel so bad about missing out on it! The red Tokai SG I bought in the late 80s had a slim neck & I kinda assumed they all had the same sort of neck.

The seller - Chingo - describes a slim neck profile. That's what my friend prefers. I like a bigger neck myself. I got lucky a while back and purchased a 1987 Greco Mint Collection SG Jr. (in white) from Guitargai that has a neck as big any any of the Super Reals I've owned. From what I can gather, a big neck is unusual for that time frame Mint Collections. Another head scratcher.
Peter Mac
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I think everyone missed it - including chingo.
The guitar shown is a TSG-60 OW, which is a replica of the Type 1 '61-63 Gibson SG Standard. Whoever did buy got a great buy from the look of it.
The TSG-50 is a Type 4 SG Standard replica from '72.

regards
Peter Mac
stratman323

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn!
dombat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freebird wrote:
stratman323 wrote:
Freebird wrote:

The seller - Chingo - describes a slim neck profile. That's what my friend prefers. I like a bigger neck myself. I got lucky a while back and purchased a 1987 Greco Mint Collection SG Jr. (in white) from Guitargai that has a neck as big any any of the Super Reals I've owned. From what I can gather, a big neck is unusual for that time frame Mint Collections. Another head scratcher.

This white 84 OW 57 PAF SG60 is exactly my 85 OW 57 PAF SG60 sister. I don't find where you've read "slim neck profile", mine has a big chunky neck, FEB and also the neck joint hairline lacquer crack. I paid mine $420 from USA last year (? - $ was 1.5), was a very good deal too, in mint condition.
I don't know why, but this fat neck is very comfortable.
mojo hobo
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not an SG fan of any sorts or know anything about them...But is that weight right, 2.75 KG ...That is lighter than my capo...Is it mahogany ..please enlighten me on SGs ...DOH!

MOJO HOBO
stratman323

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah an SG should be all mahogany.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: