Mistreated Goldstar Refinish...Finished PICS

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aquietcabin78

Reaction score
so here's a goldie that i picked up back in january. it had been abused to say the least. the 2T burst had been sanded down to the seal coat and then sparay painted black. the headstock had also been sprayed front and back but luckily not sanded

before

IMG_1630.jpg

amazing what some dolts will do to a perfectly beautiful guitar

after hours and hours of scrubbing with "0000" steel wool all the black was gone...the headstock was in suprisingly good shape all it needed was the waterslide decal

so i decided to refinish it in ReRanch Nitrocellulose Blonde (opaque) with no Primer and RR Nitro Gloss Clear Coat

after 2 weeks of spraying due to weather and 30 days drying and last weekend for sanding and buffing.

here it is the Blondo Goldie!

IMG_2242.jpg

IMG_2241.jpg

IMG_2243.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_2245.jpg

IMG_2245.jpg

IMG_2246.jpg

IMG_2238.jpg

its not perfect but its at least a fraction of its former self....

i did manage to save all the tokai neck & body codes as well

what do you guys think?

take care & be excellent to each other

Beautiful colour choice, couldn't be better. The only thing that stops it being perfect, visually, is the black nut IMHO. With a darker colour it wouldn't matter, but it stands out on yours.

Apart from that - perfection. 8)

The only thing that stops it being perfect, visually, is the black nut IMHO. With a darker colour it wouldn't matter, but it stands out on yours.

thanks,

i totally agree i have a bone nut but after 4 months i just had to put her back together.

its only there until the next time i change the strings

thanks

i almost went with RR burgundy mist metallic but i thought the fender blonde would look a little classier and age much nicer over time

turned out pretty well for my first try at spraying nitro lacquer

Yeah,for your first try it is even more impressive ! Especially the clear coat is not easy to handle and to get that highgloss finish is difficult.I am working with those cans when restauring some parts from my car and know about the trouble.Congrats again ! :wink:

I am working with those cans when restauring some parts from my car and know about the trouble.Congrats again ! [/quote

i sanded up to 2000 grit wet then used 9000 & 12000 grit micro mesh & "scratch x" to polish it

i guess its all about being patient and letting it cure

You saved her life.Well done !

its amazing what misguided people will do to a beautiful guitar in the name of making it better

the guy i bought it from must have said to himself " imma gonna spray paint it black real good " ( add whichever comical american accent to that you wish)

you should have seen his face after i told him all about what he had done!

your strat is very nice now! i love that blonde and maple neck loo

thanks

big thanks to stratman323 for all the vintage tokai pics helped swayed me from going with a metallic finish...burgundy mist is cool but the vintage blonde is way classic

Back