Parting with some old friends...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
Hate to see them go, but I've moved onto other hobbies....Racing!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3774823715&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3774824467&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3774824920&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Dana

Hi Dana,
My first post on the tokai site. I've watched your goldtop since you listed it. I'd love to finally get a decent tokai. I've thinned out my Gibson LP collection intentionally so that I could add one.
Can you describe the action on yours?
Are the inlays pearl-like or are they the flat plain white material?
Much filler on the inlays?
Anything else you could add would be helpful.
Thanks,
Clay

Hi Clay,

I am pretty sure the inlays are pearloid as they have yellowed with age. They definitely aren't a solid color or "plasticy" looking like I've seen on countless guitars. It is amazing to see how the binding, pickups, pickup rings, tuners, and inlays have aged almost perfectly together.

I really like the action as I've set it. You may like low action or the tailpiece raised higher to make bends easier, but I found the perfect medium for me.

I am trying to recall if it has an aluminum tailpiece. It's been a while since I've really played, but it played great right out of the case after a tuning.

What gets me is the model number (LS-50) of the guitar and the quality of it. Compared to my LS-200 (2001), this is equal or just as good with the workmanship and the quality of the materials used. Granted the guitar is over 20 years old, Tokai really turned me onto thir guitars. (sold me Gibby LP Standard to get my LS-200. There is very little filler around the inlays and just another remarkable job by Tokai.

Dana

Thanks a lot Dana for the response.

It's really time I got one of these...I've waited a long time and just kept putting it off. I saw your post on how happy you were with it and what you got if for originally. That seemed like a great deal for you and no, I don't begrudge you guys who live over there being able to get a good deal and then make a little off of it for yourselves. If it wasn't for that happening then we, over here, wouldn't ever get a chance at getting one ourselves.

Several years back I almost bought an LS320. I want to say that it was from Ishibishi's online store but I can't really recall. I did get a couple of Maxon analog delay pedals from them and it seems like I got a quote for the 320 from them too at the time but I just can't remember. It was a beautiful violin colored sunburst.
My 3 remaining LPs are a '69 goldtop which is in very poor condition. An '80 Heritage 80 Elite and (my favorite) an '82 Standard. All great players but the regular run of the mill '82 weighs right at 8 1/2 pounds and is my favorite. I got rid of a '75 Custom and a creme colored '85 Standard which looked great but had a lot of problems.

Thank you for the information. I hope I can compete in the bidding. It'll probably get up there. If I can't win it I hope it does for you.
Take care,
Clay

Oh, one more thing...
If I had to choose between the Tokai and the Burny which would you recommend?
Thanks...

CS Jones said:
...Oh, one more thing...
If I had to choose between the Tokai and the Burny which would you recommend?
Thanks...

That's like telling your kids who you love more! Based on feel, I love them both. Looks and overall condition, the GT is better. Sound wise, they are two different guitars, but I'd say the GT is more flexible. Don't get me wrong, the SG still sounds great but it wasn't my first choice for a slow clean song.

Your back would thank you for the SG. Yours hands and ears would be happier with the GT.

Dana

Hi Dana,
Well, looks like I finally got my wish!
Thanks a lot for letting me bug you. I look forward to it.
Clay

Hey Congrats!

I'll send you an email shortly.

Sad to see it go, but happy to go to someone on the forum!

Dana

Ha... nice story & looks like a happy end ... well done both of you :D . CS-J,... I know xs filler may look a little "cheapo", & have to admit my 82 LS60 has quite a bit of filler on the traps, but otherwise the guitar is so darned good I can easily forgive that, 2-cents :-? .

Dana... you're not really giving up guitar to go racing are you? I mean, giving up completely?? :eek:

Ian.

Hi Ian,
Thanks for that. You know, I've never even seen a Tokai LP copy in real life. I did see what I recall was a strat style ST56. Mid to late 80's model I think. Light weight, pretty but with a bad setup...terrible action.

I've been around the block several times in the last 5 or 6 years on ebay with LP copies... at least 10 different types e.g. Tradition, ESP, Dillion etc. I can't even remember them offhand...there's been a bunch. I've dumped a lot of money in shipping costs alone. None of them were even close to being keepers. The plastic inlays and the badly routed, filler stuffed spacings were a complete turn off. I did stumble across something called a "Navigator" once and bought it on the recommendation from a guy I trust. It was a set neck with thin lacquer, light weight and aimed at being close to an LP in look, feel and tone. But honestly, compared to the decent LPs I've been able to gather up (and I know there are some clunkers out there) nothing has even come close yet IMHO. In spite of all the build ups I've heard I haven't found anything that really, honestly does come close to a real, decent LP. I'm hoping this one does but I won't be upset if it doesn't since I know it's only my simple opinion anyway and Dana was really honest in the listing. I look forward to it a lot.
Thanks,
Clay

note...this seems like a nice, friendly forum. I'll be back!

ian said:
Ha... nice story & looks like a happy end ... well done both of you :D . CS-J,... I know xs filler may look a little "cheapo", & have to admit my 82 LS60 has quite a bit of filler on the traps, but otherwise the guitar is so darned good I can easily forgive that, 2-cents :-? .

Dana... you're not really giving up guitar to go racing are you? I mean, giving up completely?? :eek:

Ian.

Hey Ian,

I'm not totally giving up guitar to go racing. That's insane! I do have my 2001 LS-200, Orville by Gibson LP, Gibby Faded LP DC, Orville Custom, and a couple others. You can see what I have here: www.backyardbullet.com/guitar.html

Dana

Hey Dana ? I?ve lost sympathy for you, man you far too much gear anyway lol :lol: ! Seriously, very nice looking stuff, & interesting mix of brands. Nice to see Brian making a guest appearance (seems to prefer the Agile ? appropriate for a Kitty I guess) :-? .

Ian.

Dana,
The guitar is everything I had hoped it would be. I love it. It's lighter than I expected, perfect condition, the inlays are beautiful, no excess filler, the fading is just right, the action spot on and the pickups sound better than my Gibson '80 Heritage 80 Elite. No kidding. I couldn't be happier. I can only imagine how great some of the top tier ones are. I don't need anything else though. This one suits me perfectly. Thanks so much for your honesty. What a great guitar. I appreciate the opportunity you gave me. I am completely satisfied.
Take care,
Clay Jones

Back