Tokai/Grandy Les Paul?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hogguitar

Reaction score
Has anyone seen or heard of this before?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Tokai-Grandy-Lespaul-Custom-Black-1985-Japan_W0QQitemZ7391458425QQcategoryZ2384QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Never heard of it either, but it's not a cheapo because of fret binding, medium neck tenon, ABR-1 bridge and overall appearance. If you bid on it, you should not pay Tokai prices though.

I have read that Grandy was part of/made by Tokai. They pop up on the Japanese web quite often.

I've seen them on ebay every once in awhile and they look like they share some similar parts with the other usual suspects. Note the Greco truss rod cover.

Afternoon all,

Have just got my Tokai back from the shop after an overhaul, it is very similar to this one, with the serial number 4021019 on the headstock, and obviously Tokai manufactured.
From the serial number I am able to establish that it is a 1984 Japanese manufactured model, but little else, basically with the same colouring as the Grandy in the Ebay photo.

Its a lovely guitar, but I have to get rid of it due to a new addition to the family.
I think it may be a 1957 custom copy, but would appreciate if one of you well informed guys could point me in the right direction with some more info about it, and a potential (reasonable, not greedy) resale value.

Have good pictures to provide, and it is in a good used condition, just serviced. :roll:

Pretty sure these are made by Tokai. I just bought a Grandy Love Rock from Japan. Looks to be an LS60/80 equivalent. Honey flame top, 2 piece center seamed back, early 80's Tokai double point TRC etc. Nicely aged rings and tuners too..perhaps from cigarettes lol.

Oh ****...I just ressurected a long dead and buried thread. :lol:

450x600-2010042100217.jpg
450x600-2010042100219.jpg
:lol:

Beauty, that.

I've seen em on ebay as well..... Grandy and Fresher are a couple of sleeper brands that are really quite nice.... if you can find them.

Yeah! A tokai built GRANDY most likely...I believe tokai made them for grandy when tokai went bust in the mid 1980s..I have a friend who is a guitar dealer in japan and i contacted when i brought a tokai love rock from 1985 which the body was made from NATO,ASH soft wood,,,I posted the said guitar here ...
He sent me a little info on them...heres the pictures he sent of a tokai built GRANDY custom ...from 1985..he owned..
02170001.jpg

02120001.jpg

02170005.jpg

02170003.jpg

02170023.jpg

The year in question was 1985 ,Like my weird love rock,again 1985 serial number, the body is made from ash,Nato,agathis.A soft wood ,,,but has all the tokai features of manufacture...oval sticker,offsetneck tennon joint...square pickup routing shape..typical tokai,,,

MOJO HOBO

villager said:
i think with that script it has to be a tokai made guitar, probably an LS60 equivelent, have u measured the headstock angle?

Have not received it yet but it says Love Rock Model on the headstock so it is Tokai 100%. The back looks to be mahogany to me, not basswood but we will see I suppose. :wink:

450x6002010042100218.jpg

mojo hobo said:
Yeah! A tokai built GRANDY most likely...I believe tokai made them for grandy when tokai went bust in the mid 1980s..I have a friend who is a guitar dealer in japan and i contacted when i brought a tokai love rock from 1985 which the body was made from NATO,ASH soft wood,,,I posted the said guitar here ...
He sent me a little info on them...heres the pictures he sent of a tokai built GRANDY custom ...from 1985..he owned..
02170001.jpg

02120001.jpg

02170005.jpg

MOJO HOBO

Looks like the Tokai built Greco Custom's from the early '90s. Especially the headstock inlay.

Yeah it definitely does for sure. I would say that is what it is. Looking forward to getting mine. **** Golden Week has backed up everything in Japan now. A week long national holiday? Must be nice except for when you have to return to work!

Latest posts

Back