String Gauge

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ned

Reaction score
Just to start a mindless discussion...

What brand strings and gauge does everyone use?

Ned

Let's hear it for mindless discussions ... the only kind worth having! :D

I use .009s for Strats and .010 for Les Pauls. I admit that the tone is fatter the heavier the string, but having done my 10 rounds with tendinitis, I'm pretty happy with skinnier strings.

I wish I could say that I only use one brand, but the truth is I'll buy whatever is on sale. I think they're all fairly close in quality, although the few times I have spent more for DRs I think I noticed they were somewhat better. I really like the Fender gimmick of bullet ends for Strat trem blocks, although I don't think they make much of a difference in sound.

I have used Ernie Ball .011s (in the purple package) on my muttcaster Strat (Fender Japan body, aftermarket neck, Van Zandt pickups) detuned a half stop ala Stevie Ray, with great results, but the tension starts to hurt my wrists after awhile too. Daddario, I think, makes a .095 string that I'd like to try on my Silver Stars.

I have a bunch of Martin Performance SPs .011s for acoustic guitar. They have a nice snap and last fairly long. You can really notice when an acoustic string dies, whereas with electrics, you can away with duds for awhile.

I do try and buy strings locally. Yes, you spend a bit more, but it helps the local shopkeepers pay their electric bills. It's tempting when catalogs offer a dozen sets for $20 (they're the really cheap ones, mind you) but Musician's Friend and other megastores are finishing off what's left of the mom and pop places.

Tokai apparently sells strings in Japan. Anybody tried those?

I've been using Daddario 11's tuned to standard on my Love Rock, but recently I've made the switch to GHS Low-Tune Boomers (hybrid, 11-53) tuned to standard. :lol: Fat sound, long lasting.

On my taylor Big Baby acoustic it's mostly Elixir Nanoweb 12's, though I occasionally use Martin Phosphor Bronze 12's.

8) Strats and Love Rocks/LP all with the Ernie Ball .11's , the Rick 12 string Pyrimid's, Flat wounds any brand available on the Gretsch and Elixer mediums on any acoustic 8) TG

I'm another Ernie Ball strings fan, I use 9 - 46 Hybrid Slinky's on all (but they're all 24.75" scale) except the PRS SE Soapbar, need to find out what strings they come with as stock, cause they're still on and sound excellent! My guess is PRS Stainless 10's.

I like the tone of Ernie Ball, but they seemed to corrode and die really quickly when I used them. I thought it was my skin chemistry, but I've since heard many similar testimonies regarding their lifespan that's really put me off them.

How do you guys find them?

:eek: No problems now, but years ago I used to use salt on my food and I had corrosion problems. I was using GHS TNT's and changed over to Ernie Ball's, the problem remained. Cut the additional salt and now they last and stay bright and clean for a long time. 8) TG

Really no particular preference. Used to use EB Super Slinky on everything (9-42), but more recently moved to heavier strings ? one Tele still with 9-42, second Tele & LS60 both with D?Addario XL (11-49), J-Strat with something else (forget what, don?t change those often lol :-? !).

Ian.

Put me down for D'Addario XL 11's. Use them on Strats, Tele's, LP's. I also find that they have enough meat to be used on hollowbodies.

I too have a problem with my strings corroding or getting gunked up after a couple of weeks - out of all that I've tried (GHS Boomers, Ernie Ball Slinkys, etc) the D'Addario hold up the best.

Currently Dr 0.11-0.50 in my Loverock, standard E tuning.
In my Ibanez jpm, Ernie Ball 0.11-0.48, Eb tuning. I had only 3 old springs in the trem so when I tried to tune it to E, the bridge would not go straight, so I'll have to put new springs to it, so there will be 4. I think I'll try 0.10-0.52 strings next.

WebStrings 10s for electric. The Webstrings electric strings are fine, though I slightly prefer the sound of D'Addarios. The Webstrings are so cheap, though, that I still use them instead. They cost around a quarter to a third of what D'Addarios cost me (WebStrings are about $3 per pack including shipping from the US).

They seem to last a bit longer than D'Addarios, too

Man, you guys with the heavy gauge strings are working too hard. On my Les Paul type guitars I usually use D'Addario .008, .010, .012, .021w, .022w, .024w. or if the shop is out of single strings I can get by with the D'Addario EXL130 set .008, .010, .015, .021, .030, .038

Loudmouse said:
Man, you guys with the heavy gauge strings are working too hard.

Anything less feels like an elastic band these days. :lol:

Nothing compares to the rich, deep sound you get from big strings. 8)

.008!! They actually make such a thing? :eek:

I like to use D'addario XL's Lite Top/Heavy Bottom on my Love Rock. I go for a thick Gary Moore-type tone.

I never had a problem with corrosion 'cause my hands seem to have almost the opposite effect, which is both a blessing and a curse. The spots where my hand touches the aged nickel hardware on my Tokai and Les Paul gleams like polished chrome - not what I was going for!

I've recently decided not to care too much anymore, so now I use D'Addario XLs 0.010-0.046 standard strings, because they came in a 3-set "Save $$$" package. I also found that I don't like the overly thick bass strings (0.050 etc.) anymore on my Love Rocks, as they seem to sound too stiff and "wound up" for me with less wooden tone and sustain.

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing", you know... :wink:

As I'm lazy I use Ernie Ball regular slinkys (10 - 46) on my ES-120, Strat and Tele. I'm happy with the results on all guitars.

I use Ernie Ball Super Slinkys (45-100) on my basses (Fender Jazz & M'man Sub).

On my Martin D28 I use Martin Marquis Medium gauge and on my Martin 0021 I use Martin Marquis Light Gauge.

I don't alternate much from the above choices as I have arrived at them after trying other strings and have found that they represent good value and quality. It also saves me having to constantly think about string gauges.

Back