1986 Super Edition pickup question

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manson

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought a 1986 Tokai Super Edition guitar. It's looks a bit like a '62 Fender Strat, but with HSS pickup configuration. One of the pickups has been replaced by the previous owner. He did not quite remember which one was replaced, or by which aftermarket type. I've added some pictures below:

se.jpg

se1.jpg

se2.jpg

So the neck pickup has flat polepieces, a grey bottom, windings are taped, and has a blue and a black wire. No so much output.

Middle pickup has staggered polepieces, a black bottem with a sticker saying "IR" on it. It's windings are visible under the cover, and it has a white and a black wire. It has more output and sounds a lot brighter than the neck pickup.

Last is the humbucker, looks like a PAF, has much more output than both the single coils, and has two wires: white and bare ground. No markings whatsoever on the bottom.

Now here's my question (and thanks for reading): which pickups are the original Tokai, and which one is different? Can anyone tell me what kind of replacement pickup was used, like is it a Fender pickup?

Thanks!!

Manson,

There aren't that many Super E's out there. Are there any codes on the pups?

Ned

Well, the middle pickup says "IR" ... could perhaps be a Fender pup. But there's nothing on the other pickups. No codes, no stamps .. nothing. Didn't know these guitars where so rare. But thanks anyway.

I have Tokai SE 1986

My guitar has "L.White" picaps S/ S /H. As I know these are native picaps of this guitar

Each the picaps has inscription L.White on top, there where is usual write all names of picaps.
Picaps are painted color of the guitar.
If you have a qaustions. email me [email protected]

the "IR" sticker makes me think the middle pup may be a seymour duncan and the bottom of it looks right too .. the neck could be anything .. the bridge looks pretty much like any old generic humbucker. It would have something on the bottom if it was DiMarzio, Duncan, Bareknucle, etc. Sorry it's not much help :-?

Hi Manson ,

I bought a super edition recently and the guy said the scratch plate was
Never removed. The humbucker looks same as mine but the single coils on mine are ceramic type , flat poles with bar magnet on the back ( same as on goldstar st40 type.

Hope this helps

Matt

Latest posts

Back