Boutique PAF Clones

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's so funny though, how the exact same pickups can sound completely different tonally to different players, or even in different guitars and the same player for that matter. Some of you guys love the MK-II's. I have 3 guitars that came with them stock. To me, my LS-150 sounded muddy with them, the SG-155 sounded shrill, but the ES-120 sounds awesome!

I've since switched the SG to LeoSounds Growldogs and it sounds amazing - very AC/DC-ish. So I thought I'd try them in the LS and it sounds too dark for my liking. So they're going back in the SG and I'm going to try humbicker-sized p90's in the LP. I was thinking about trying p-rails but they just look a little too 'untraditional' for my taste. And, I get most of the switching options they offer from my Eddie JP.

Jason

rdpickups said:
I've done the calculation and unfortunately (even if the materials were only 60p more) if we do the free guitar we will be bankrupt in a week :D

What you should do if you're really confident, Declan, is grab a couple of these (different colours, for ease of identification) and replace the pickups in one of them. Perfect for demonstrating the pickups at trade shows, lending to journos, etc etc.

And if you want to take it a step further you could let people compare an upgraded LS48 to a stock LS75. The price difference (in Yen, at least) is almost exactly the same as the price of the pickups, so it would give people a very good idea of whether your basic idea ??that the wood isn't all that important ??holds up.

BlueThird said:
What you should do if you're really confident, Declan, is grab a couple of these (different colours, for ease of identification) and replace the pickups in one of them. Perfect for demonstrating the pickups at trade shows, lending to journos, etc etc...

And if you want to take it a step further you could let people compare an upgraded LS48 to a stock LS75. The price difference (in Yen, at least) is almost exactly the same as the price of the pickups, so it would give people a very good idea of whether your basic idea ? that the wood isn't all that important ? holds up.

I am totally with you on this idea, unfortunately, (and its a terrible predicament to be in)..... we need to purchase a couple of strats, teles, P & J Basses just to survive the pickup developments this year, we fully intend to have no fun with any of them whatsoever....

However, not to step awayfrom the challenge, if there is an established forum member who has such a pair of guitars and fancys doing a little experiment then I am sure we can arrange something....

Declan
RD Pickups

loving it rdpickups,you seem to have genuine love for your end product ... as a company you`ve sold me ....

any plans on doing a monster hi-gain rippy face off type pickup ?

A very interesting topic.

Another thing is of course the Amp! Recently a guy in our office bought a decent copy, (Squier) and matched it with a truly crummy amp. Did make me chuckle when he moaned about the guitar, "I thought you said a Squier was decent Bob"? "Not when you put it through a ?10.00 amp you clearly bought in Argos" I replied.....

Needless to say, sure we all use decent amps, but, do have an effect on the sound you hear!

^ definitely. the amount of threads i see on the other guitar forums I go to where someone is running a real high-end guitar (like a US-made PRS or something) through a marshall mg or line 6 spider ("because I only play at home" :eek: ), and then wondering why they don't sound good, is enough to make you cry. Or laugh, when they say, "but I'm not willing to upgrade the amp". :lol: I mean, they had no problem with buying a really expensive guitar to just play at home... and an amp isn't just there to make you louder.

I tried out a Marshall MG at our rehearsal studio, (I take my own, but an MG was in the room). Actually, it sounded OK. Not sure what its like really cranked up or on stage. Are they any good?

BobK said:
I tried out a Marshall MG at our rehearsal studio, (I take my own, but an MG was in the room). Actually, it sounded OK. Not sure what its like really cranked up or on stage. Are they any good?

All depends what you want and what your budget is, personally I think they sound pretty poor, but I'm a snob :wink:

^ same here :lol: on another forum i go to, mgs are the forum whipping boy, and it's not entirely undeserved. i heard the newer version is meant to be a little better, but i haven't tried it yet. the older ones are horrible, and i noticed most people were qualifying them as "better than the old ones" rather than "good" :lol:

Dave_Mc said:
^ definitely. the amount of threads i see on the other guitar forums I go to where someone is running a real high-end guitar (like a US-made PRS or something) through a marshall mg or line 6 spider ("because I only play at home" :eek: ), and then wondering why they don't sound good, is enough to make you cry. Or laugh, when they say, "but I'm not willing to upgrade the amp". :lol: I mean, they had no problem with buying a really expensive guitar to just play at home... and an amp isn't just there to make you louder.

+1

I am only left with 2 practice amps but they are proper amps: Cornford Harlequin MKI (hand build and signed by Paul) and a Blackstar HT-5 for when I feel hairy.

I'll never go back to cheap practice amps, I'd rather fart in a can. You can play a PRS Dragon or custom shop Tele and they sound the same...

Latest posts

Back