NGD - 81 Greco EGF59-70? Transitional Mint Collection

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
greco_burst said:
Of interest the 1989 and 1990 catalogue list's the EG70/700 with Dry pickups X 2.
The only costmetic difference in the catalogue seems to be the Greco' headstock logo decal position, it is different between the EG60/600 and EG70/700

The EG70/700 model has the 'Greco' headstock logo positioned higher on the headstock and at a steeper angle and the EG60/600 is lower and almost horizontal in position.

The EG60/600 lists with screamin 82 pups...

regards, Mick

if the above is the case, a quick look thru a 'scope could help to determine if the magnets look like ferritic/coal black (Screamin) or Alnico/silver (Dry) :)
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=15682

you need to be able to see one of the of the magnet ends; I don't believe you'll be able to see that by taking out a screw

DRYZuncbrmag.jpg

Freebird said:
That particular Greco closed "o" logo looks like post Mint Collection 1990s production to me.

Agree 100%.. might even be 1991 judging from the serial number. I've had a couple of 89's very similar to this one. Very nice score.

Been doing some research and it seems the post Mint Collections used the old school Greco style serials with a letter 1st designating the month made but ink stamped like the Mints. I suspect this is still a Mint Collection guitar but I understood that the later Mints did not use a heel cap like Greco did during the late 70's to early 80's?

As far as heel caps go. The last one I had from 90' had one but, it probably varied depending on which plant it was made at?

They used more than one type of serial system depending on the factory. In 85' They used 5-XXXX as well A5XXXX. So, they could have done the same thing to later 90's models.

jacco said:
They're right about the headstock logo. Pre mint collection logo has G and r touching each other high on the r (not talking about the even earlier Gneco), mint collection has G en r touching each other low on the r, post mint collection G en r don't touch like this one.

OK, to throw a wrench in the mix here. Greco started using that font in the late 80's on certain Black Beauty Custom models with the split diamond headstock inlay. Those later were made in Korea but there were those made with that font and split diamond from 88-90 via Fuji-Gen with the Mint Collection TRC and long tenon etc from what I understand, no?

They also used it on other non-mint collection guitars like the Rock Spirits.

By the preponderance of evidence pointing to your example as being more likely a 1991 example, and by the seemingly over whelming opinion from other members here that your example is more likely a 1991 example, do you still believe it is a 1981 example?

I have not seen any examples with the same/identical control route milling as your example has, from the 1981 era, that also have the control routes clear coated, as your example is.
I have seen examples from the 1991 era with the control routes that have been clear coated, that also have the same control route milling.

I have not seen any examples from the 1981 era with a separate neck heel, as your example has but I have seen examples from the 1991 era with a separate neck heel.

The ground wires on 1981 era examples are usually not insulated but when you do see an example with an insulated ground wire, it should be clear insulation.
From the 1991 era examples I have seen, the ground wires that are insulated have red insulation.
Your example has a red insulated ground wire.

Tuners for 1981 era should be stamped Greco Deluxe.
The tuners on your example are not stamped Greco Deluxe.

Pickups for 1981 era, serial 1 55** should be stamped with the typical six digit stamp, which as been discussed here on several occasions, and as we know, these six digit stamps continued until the very late 1981 time frame.
The pickups in your example do not have the six digit stamp but look exactly as the very late 1980s era, to early 1990s era pickup bases look; no stamp & no sticker.

Another point of interest is the head stock face.
Every single example of a 1981 Greco EG/EGF that I have seen will have one of three things; Super Real, Super Power, or Super Sound, and in gold.
Your example has none of these.
The head stock face on your example looks exactly like a 1991 example should look.

Again, there is a much greater percent and/or preponderance of attributes that your example has that point to it being a 1991 example, and not a 1981 example.

My ?guess? is that your example is 1991 production from Kanda Shokai Corporation but that is only my guess, going by my experience, and going by my knowledge base.
I could be wrong on both points, the date, and the manufacturer.

I really do not believe I am wrong on the date; I am quite confident your example is a 1991.
There are just way too many attributes of your example that do not point to a 1981 manufacture but rather point to a 1991 manufacture.
Some of these atttributes can easily be changed, yet some cannot.

Hopefully whoever bought it will enjoy it, and won't really give a flying flip what year model it is ..............

Rich, It's like floggin a dead horse. :p like, you said. I've had a few of those aswell and there cool guitars.

Cool, thanks for the info sweet cheeks haha. FYI...I put those tuners on lol...they are NOS Gotoh's from the mid 80's so your point on those, invalid :p. This is my whole point...you can base certain things on it being one or the other IF they have never been swapped or changed out. Then NWOBHM said none of the 91's came with FEB...I proved him wrong on that one too (in your face NWOBHM lol) as this had FEB but was re-fretted. So either this is a VERY different 91, in which it was still made by Fuji-Gen at the end of their contract or it is something else. IMO it is a Fuji-Gen made guitar for sure...so maybe a 91 Fuji-Gen as my 1984 EG59-60 has all the same identical attributes as this guitar...serial, tenon, coated cavities, FEB, red ground wire, the typical Mint Collection gold Greco open "O" font, etc. Rich, you do agree that the Mints had the red insulated ground wire and poly coated cavities however, correct?

NWOBHM said:
Rich, It's like floggin a dead horse. :p like, you said. I've had a few of those aswell and there cool guitars.

Oh boy, this is the whole REASON we are all here...to compare, show off, talk, live, and breathe these guitars. If debating over something interesting like this is beating a dead horse, we might as well all leave and give up lol, you jerk! LOL

Back